PDA

View Full Version : Wild Boar

lynx
03-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Does one need a lisence to carry a rifle to shoot wild boar. I dont think they come under the wildlife acts of Alberta, because they are not native to Alberta. If they come on my property can they be shot? Or if one sees them on crown land? And can one shoot them at any time of year?

mud slug
03-13-2008, 06:06 PM
lynx there not classified as a game animal in alberta so you are good to shoot them any time.

Bobby B.
03-13-2008, 07:15 PM
From what I remember, the law of Alberta recognizes two basic animal groups, wild and domestic. If an animal which is commonly wild crosses your pass, then you can treat it as a wild animal; an open season animal or a regulated season animal. If an animal which is not native to the area crosses your path, then it must be assumed to be someone's property and you must respect the property rights of the owner of said animal. This is not to be deemed as legal advise.

Bobby B.

raised by wolves
03-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Shoot as many as you can. They have a negative impact on the ecosystem.

TheClash
03-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Shoot as many as you can. They have a negative impact on the ecosystem.

so do we...hahahaha

shootermcgavin
03-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Where does a guy find wild boars roaming in alberta?
I would like to hunt them!

TheClash
03-13-2008, 08:29 PM
only in the boarder towns hahahaha

shootermcgavin
03-13-2008, 08:35 PM
is there many of them down along the boarder?
does a guy get boared looking for them? or is there lots?

lynx
03-14-2008, 06:19 AM
I have seen them at my place. They have travelled far from where the closest pig farm is to my knowledge. I was just wondering if I need to have a gun lisense to carry a gun to shoot them. I dont think I should have to go out and buy a permt tocarry a gun to kill them on my properties. They get into my crops. I believe the pig farmers should keep them pened up. They are destructive.

catnthehat
03-14-2008, 07:01 AM
I have seen them at my place. They have travelled far from where the closest pig farm is to my knowledge. I was just wondering if I need to have a gun lisense to carry a gun to shoot them. I dont think I should have to go out and buy a permt tocarry a gun to kill them on my properties. They get into my crops. I believe the pig farmers should keep them pened up. They are destructive.
Maybe contact a few of the members here and orginize a hunt for them?
I'm sure there are quite a few who would help out - myself for one, if I could get down there!
Cat

T-Bone
03-14-2008, 07:25 AM
Wild Boar are not native to Alberta and if you are on crown land or private land with permission you can shoot them in any season. I have hunted them up around San Gudo but it is hard to get permission also if you are hunting them in dense bush be very careful as they are aggressive and you may not see them quick enough believe me.

shootermcgavin
03-14-2008, 02:17 PM
Lynx where abouts do you live in the province?

Does anyone know if there are any heards of them around calgary?

lynx
03-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Lynx where abouts do you live in the province?

Does anyone know if there are any heards of them around calgary?

Iam in the north of the province and have seen them .

Sputnik
03-14-2008, 05:22 PM
I think the ones running free are more feral pigs than true boars, of course when being chased it is a moot point!

As to your comment:

"I dont think I should have to go out and buy a permt tocarry a gun to kill them on my properties."

It is unfortunate, but in Canada if you want to own or obtain guns you need a licence, private property notwithstanding. So yes you would need a gun licence.

Of course as stated previously by others on this thread, if you want to make it real easy, invite one or several of us down to take care of the problem for you. Then you don't need a gun licence or a even a gun, just an area for us to dress them out and divide up the meat portions evenly!:lol:

Of course if there is a possibility of an open air, on site BBQ to dispose of the proceeds we may even be convinced to bring the beer and veggies!:rolleyes:

Peacecountryguy
10-19-2008, 11:09 PM
man where in the north, i live around peace river and i havent seen any..
i think wild boar is one of the most delicious meats ive ever tasted.

Eyeswideshut
10-28-2008, 06:47 PM
I was also wondering where a guy sees them,. cause like you say I haven't seen any around.

OP says he is north of the province,.. north is pretty vast..

Wow,.. I just realized I replied to a fairly old thread haha.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
10-28-2008, 06:57 PM
I was talking to my buddy lives near st paul and when he was out huntin moose yesterday they saw 5 or 6 of them together .

Eyeswideshut
10-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Read an older post about some being northeast of me,.. going to try to get a hold of some people up there to find out specifics. Would be an interesting hunt I would say.

Muskeg
10-28-2008, 11:25 PM
man where in the north, i live around peace river and i havent seen any..
i think wild boar is one of the most delicious meats ive ever tasted.

Try calling farmers around Manning, Deadwood, Dixonville.
A few years back my brother butchered an Elk at my cousins farm in Deadwood at night and the wild pigs could smell the blood and were only kept at bay from the farm dogs. I asked my cousin this summer if he saw pig activity and he said that its been awhile.
We also did a bit of scouting in Deadwood last spring and found sign but the land owner wasn't very receptive and made it sound like there were no pigs.
My Nephew has property in Dixonville and he sighted a few pigs East of Chinook valley.
I've heard North Star has a lot of problem pigs as well..They are around but are very elusive.
I'm dying to stick an arrow in one.. just never enough time is there

John Spartan
10-29-2008, 12:18 AM
Where? Lac St.Anne area, Sangudo to Whitecourt area to name a couple.

Coming back from moose hunting recently, the truck had a near miss with a big porker on highway 43 between Mayerthorpe and Whitecourt in the evening. Length of the pig was almost the width of the truck and probably about 300-400 pounds. It had long hair with patches of white, tan, black all over - likely a pig farm escapee gone feral pig. If we'd hit the pig, there would have been major truck damage. I like the idea of bringing home the bacon, but this would not have been it.

Matt L.
10-29-2008, 09:02 AM
That was a wild boar, they can have that colour pattern. See a decent number of them next door lol. (Hog Wild)

spaded
10-29-2008, 09:22 AM
Them things are destructive,

you should have seen the damage on my 95 chevy....

I never knew they even existed in alberta, and neither did my insurance company because they sure gave me the run around.

u_cant_rope_the_wind
10-29-2008, 02:41 PM
i read an article i beleive it was in the western producer
the gvmt is being asked to get rid of these wild boars as they are raiseing havock wth the local farm crops and are not native species so the are upseting the eco system and if i remember rt hunters are being asked to shoot as many as possable naybe check wth the western producer for a back copy of that aticle

10-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Them things are destructive,

you should have seen the damage on my 95 chevy....

I never knew they even existed in alberta, and neither did my insurance company because they sure gave me the run around.

Shoulda sent them the lovely pictures , they woulda liked that lol .
Some of them office folk love bloody , pictures .

i read an article i beleive it was in the western producer
the gvmt is being asked to get rid of these wild boars as they are raiseing havock wth the local farm crops and are not native species so the are upseting the eco system and if i remember rt hunters are being asked to shoot as many as possable naybe check wth the western producer for a back copy of that aticle

I was watching prarie farm report and they were talkin wild hogs this mornin.Causeing major damage , didnt get a chance to lissen to the intire thing but caught the tail end of it .

The cooter
10-31-2008, 03:28 AM
Check out fort assinaboine the are over run with wild boar sure you will get permission at the drop of a hat.cheers and good hunting!

Roughneck12
10-31-2008, 06:59 AM
I think they were made a pest spiecies by the gov a year or two ago and it was open season. It was thought at the time that when the pigs escaped they would not survive the winters but they thrived, much to a lot of peoples surprise.
Look into it.

Bear
10-31-2008, 08:41 AM
Yes they are a pest. Also counties wishing to participate in the Wild Boar Pilot Program can get monies from the Ag Service Board.

Since 2003, Lac St Anne County has had a pilot project in place whereby the hunter was reimbursed $50 for every pair of wild boar at large ears that were submitted to the county office, as well as other initiatives.

Because of the success of this pilot program, I am pleased to announce that this pilot program has been extended to the whole province from Oct. 1, 2008 to Dec. 31, 2009.

This is from the letters sent to the Ag Services Boards in the province. So in effect there is a $50 bounty on a pair of boar ears.

rbnightmare
10-31-2008, 11:58 AM
How far south have you seen them feral hogs? I live down by nobleford, which is by lethbridge. I am wonderin how far south them hogs have been sighted.

NoKlu
10-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Found a Article that tells the story.Screwed up the link.

NoKlu
10-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Found a Article that tells the story.http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080708.walberta-boars0708/BNStory/National/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20080708.walberta-boars0708

Faststeel
11-01-2008, 01:20 AM
About this time of year last year I saw 2 of these south of Tofield, we were looking for a duck hunt and watched these two pigs work across a field. I wanted to shoot them but my local bud thought they may have been some ones pets. I knew they were what they were but he wouldn't let me shoot them, too bad I hear they are great eating. FS

Cooeylover
11-01-2008, 07:52 PM
As i seen a write up somewehres that they are considered the same as a coyote, badger or gophers. Shoot on sight with landowners permission. no lisence needed. SA_WEEEET!!!!!!:evilgrin:

dogboy
11-03-2008, 08:51 AM
so free boar meat and next to free deer wow Im going to need a biger frezer this year
so If one was to go looking for Boar around Edmonton? wher shuld one go?
and what a good Boar gun ? somthing short and big Id think hu?

jasonburrows
11-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Just seen on hunting channel last night they were hunting em north of Mayerthorpe (Hog wild outfitters)

Matt L.
11-03-2008, 11:57 AM
That was bowhunting right?

FishBrain
11-03-2008, 12:01 PM
so far the outfitters use only bow. or the ones I have found anyway. Friend of mine up north says you have to get them at night and best from a stand, those things charge and are raised as angry little buggers.
Sure hope I get a chance

Eyeswideshut
11-03-2008, 05:38 PM
That was bowhunting right?

They used bow on the first one and rifle on the second.

Matt L.
11-04-2008, 12:01 PM
Interesting cause I know that Hog Wild offers canned bow hunts. Didn't know about any rifle hunting.

beerhunter
12-26-2008, 11:58 PM
Where do you live i'll come and clean them up for you so you don't have to worry about a gun permit. If you are on your own property no one can really bother you unless they have a legitimate complaint about you using a gun unlawfully. So shoot away but I would be glad to help you out........

hockeyfish
12-29-2008, 01:42 PM
i heard they were tasty

hockeyfish
12-29-2008, 01:43 PM
so do we...hahahaha

cliche lol

Reeves1
12-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Seems to be a lot of interest in these rooters !

Maybe have to give some thought to raising them :evilgrin:

12-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Seems to be a lot of interest in these rooters !

Maybe have to give some thought to raising them :evilgrin:

There interested inthem for the 50 dollar cheque . Some maybe for the meat but I say 90 % for the 50 dollar cheque.

Reeves1
12-29-2008, 02:32 PM
There interested inthem for the 50 dollar cheque . Some maybe for the meat but I say 90 % for the 50 dollar cheque.

But if I put a GPS collar on them and turn them loose, people could bring their GSP with the mandatory(for the breed) GPS collar and find them :evilgrin:

209x50
12-29-2008, 03:12 PM

There is a reason there is a 50 buck reward. The first time you try to eat an old boar you'll understand. Think armpit pork...:sick:

12-29-2008, 08:12 PM
There is a reason there is a 50 buck reward. The first time you try to eat an old boar you'll understand. Think armpit pork...:sick:

I know I know I know Very strong tasteing , I remember as we where kids growing up ate alot of wild meat that was given to us and the wild pig want the best , but if you learnt how to cook it it was really good. But its defenetly not like Deer or moose .

dogboy
12-30-2008, 02:39 PM

come on get $50 to hunt whos not interested? not the best motive but its a motive.

DuckBrat
12-31-2008, 01:18 AM
Here's my story on boars. I've been out North and west of Edmonton on several occasions. I have spoken to a number of Land owners who have been very cryptic about the issue. It seems that there is some damage being done but getting permission or information out of any of these guys is not happening. I left my number with many landowners and a year later had one fellow call me about the issue. He wanted us to come out and surmise the situation. After wasting my fuel and time to get there he asked us to humanely trap the pigs and take them another site no guns allowed. Like I'm going to dump these pigs off for someone else to deal with. I tried like a sob to get permission on the neighboring properties without luck. When Lac Ste. Anne County started their bounty, the County office wouldn't help direct me to any landowners who had filed complaints. I to this day cannot understand why they go to all this trouble with the media releases and government money to shine light on a problem that no one wishes to fix. If it is such a problem than shut down the guides and game farms with these animals who keep procuring these animals. As for hunting these pigs they are out there but if you don't have a spot you will have to spend a lot of fuel and time on the back roads to find them. Best at low light or even at night but every once and a while you'll catch one out in the open during the day. I compare trying to find a place to hunt these beasts like punching ones self in the face. An exercise in futility. As for the guy from Nobleford you'll have to drive a long way to find the pigs. Were talking at least an hours drive north of Edmonton. Good luck.

paillight
01-14-2009, 01:06 PM
i can make time any weekend to go out hunting just have to find land owners access so if you have land and feral hogs and you want the numbers reduced i would be more then willing to come out for a few weekends what ever it takes

Dark
01-14-2009, 03:27 PM
Here's my story on boars. I've been out North and west of Edmonton on several occasions. I have spoken to a number of Land owners who have been very cryptic about the issue. It seems that there is some damage being done but getting permission or information out of any of these guys is not happening. I left my number with many landowners and a year later had one fellow call me about the issue. He wanted us to come out and surmise the situation. After wasting my fuel and time to get there he asked us to humanely trap the pigs and take them another site no guns allowed. Like I'm going to dump these pigs off for someone else to deal with. I tried like a sob to get permission on the neighboring properties without luck. When Lac Ste. Anne County started their bounty, the County office wouldn't help direct me to any landowners who had filed complaints. I to this day cannot understand why they go to all this trouble with the media releases and government money to shine light on a problem that no one wishes to fix. If it is such a problem than shut down the guides and game farms with these animals who keep procuring these animals. As for hunting these pigs they are out there but if you don't have a spot you will have to spend a lot of fuel and time on the back roads to find them. Best at low light or even at night but every once and a while you'll catch one out in the open during the day. I compare trying to find a place to hunt these beasts like punching ones self in the face. An exercise in futility. As for the guy from Nobleford you'll have to drive a long way to find the pigs. Were talking at least an hours drive north of Edmonton. Good luck.

We found the exact same thing, every landowner seemed tight lipped, perhaps the 50.00 bounty is set up to give the farmers something to do in the winter.

Copidosoma
01-14-2009, 03:30 PM
We found the exact same thing, every landowner seemed tight lipped, perhaps the 50.00 bounty is set up to give the farmers something to do in the winter.

Touche:lol:

I'll bet there are farmers who keep a stable population going just for the ears.

(kidding)

bear_44
01-15-2009, 07:32 AM
Touche:lol:

I'll bet there are farmers who keep a stable population going just for the ears.

(kidding)

Up in Nipawin Saskatchewan (East of Prince Albert) there is a game farm which offers fenced hunts for fools who still need their mommies to cut the crusts off their sandwiches but more often that not that same game farm has numerous escapes and it is quite common to hear bounties getting put out for "x" number of hogs, and without fail the bounties are always filled within two or three days. I know a few old boys up there who wont let anyone into the back quarter because they know a nice buck or a fat sow is wandering around back there.

On another note, I have heard rumours of hogs living in the irrigation ditches around Brooks and around Tilly. Does anyone know how truthful these rumours are?

Grizzly Adams
01-15-2009, 08:24 AM

I mentioned something like this to a friend of mine yesterday. His reply was, we've got enough a*****s with guns around here. There's no need to encourage them.:lol::lol:
Grizz

Dark
01-15-2009, 01:07 PM
Grizzly, let your friend know not all of us are a******s.

Grizzly Adams
01-15-2009, 05:28 PM
Grizzly, let your friend know not all of us are a******s.

They know, but those are the people they are afraid of.:lol: I just talked to one of the local farmers. He and his son have shot 14 between them, over the last couple of years. His advice was that it's more of an opportunistic Hunt. Just keep your eyes pealed in your travels and the gun handy. According to him, somebody shot a couple between Christmas and New Years, just upriver of the Westward Ho Campground, which is a long ways from where they originated.
Grizz