PDA

View Full Version : win#on arrows

mud slug
03-13-2008, 07:09 PM
talking to a fellow bow hunter today and was suprised when he asked me how i put my win number on my arrows. told him that i didn't know that i was supposed to. he told me that i'm suppose to have my win number on every arrow. never heard of that rule and can't find anything in the bow regs. is he right or is he just blowing smoke?

mulecrazy
03-13-2008, 07:15 PM
puff, puff, pass

catnthehat
03-13-2008, 07:20 PM
Used to hafe to put our lisence number on them, but that went the way of the dodo, stupid rule, that one was...
Cat

Bushmaster
03-13-2008, 07:27 PM
That's OLD news......

mud slug
03-13-2008, 07:33 PM
thanks guys just started bow hunting in 2005 andnever heard of that rule.

Rackmastr
03-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Yep used to be a rule back when I was starting out.....I remember taking out the marker and marking the WIN number on all arrow....fun times.

But ya...old news....probably 12 years ago at least....

grandslamer
03-13-2008, 08:11 PM
yup they got rid of the win on your arrow rule in 96 97

ljbb
03-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Hey you can thank the alberta bowhunters association for getting rid of the numbers on your arrows.

7 REM MAG
03-13-2008, 09:59 PM
What would be the purpose behind such a law

Rackmastr
03-13-2008, 10:05 PM
What would be the purpose behind such a law

They said they wanted it on there to track down poachers, people who were wounding animals, tresspassing, etc....

Kinda flawed really...as its hard to prove whether or not someone put in an effort to search for a wounded animal, and the trespassing thing is kinda obviously flawed...and well...poachers dont mark their arrows...haha

7 REM MAG
03-13-2008, 10:13 PM
lol im gonna say that if people were out there wounding deer/trespassing/poaching they would not mark their arrows

Rackmastr
03-13-2008, 10:14 PM
Kinda the reason that the law was removed.....

Honest people wound deer....its just a matter of putting in the time to actually attempt to recover them....

But yes...the law had flaws....

russ
03-13-2008, 10:31 PM
talking to a fellow bow hunter today and was suprised when he asked me how i put my win number on my arrows. told him that i didn't know that i was supposed to. he told me that i'm suppose to have my win number on every arrow. never heard of that rule and can't find anything in the bow regs. is he right or is he just blowing smoke?

A person should read the reg's synopsis for changes every year. I think it's been at least 10 years since that requirement was dropped.

el sparko
03-13-2008, 10:43 PM
back in the old days this brilliant law came into place and it went over like a lead balloon. i used to write my # end to end on each arrow one behind the other one season to the next. after a few years the arrows i didn't use became a maze of numbers one running into another. each time i'd kill an animal i would replace that arrow and write that season's# on it. the rest just stayed in the quiver and the next year another 10 didgets were added. the law stated i had to write my currant # it never said i had to erase the old ones.

catnthehat
03-14-2008, 05:57 AM
Hey you can thank the alberta bowhunters association for getting rid of the numbers on your arrows.
AND the AFGA!
Cat

7 REM MAG
03-14-2008, 09:54 AM
seems like writing on the vanes would be the best bet if that were still the case then just put a new one on the next year

chain2
03-14-2008, 10:59 AM
That went out with aluminium...chain

Rackmastr
03-14-2008, 11:02 AM
seems like writing on the vanes would be the best bet if that were still the case then just put a new one on the next year

I used to write on the vanes.....but your number doesnt change from year to year....its always the same. Its your WIN number....so it remains constant...

I really have no idea what el sparko was talking about writing a new number on each year...the number stayed the exact same.....lol

7 REM MAG
03-14-2008, 12:18 PM
lol he may be talking about tag number i guess, although its not exactlt something i would want someone to have if i loose a arrow or something like that as ita all you need to do draws etc, someone could have some fun with your tags. Girl at canadian tire gave me tags when i gave her my number as my card was not with me and i didnt show any id

geezer55
03-14-2008, 01:40 PM
I used to write on the vanes.....but your number doesnt change from year to year....its always the same. Its your WIN number....so it remains constant...

When I bowhunted you had to write a new number on every year . . . reason there was no WIN back then.

Rackmastr
03-16-2008, 12:52 PM
That would make sense Geezer....I can remember the first few years when I had to do it the number was the same.....but ya that makes sense...

catnthehat
03-16-2008, 01:12 PM
That would make sense Geezer....I can remember the first few years when I had to do it the number was the same.....but ya that makes sense...
Some of us are a tad older than we would like to remember, so more than we would like to admit!!:lol:
Cat

claas
03-24-2008, 03:28 PM
I still have some old arrows I don't use any more with the numbers on them.
Almost antique!