PDA

View Full Version : Kitimat or Rupert??

warriorboy10
04-05-2012, 03:41 PM
Have fished Kitimat and Skeena Rivers several times with great success. This summer I have a chance to fish the chuck. Will be in a 26' ocean boat with Radar, charts, VHF etc. But will be a DIY thing with my wifey. Lots of fairly protected waters but want to get into some good fish too.
Plan to be in the area mid to late June and hope to fish it through the summer.
Any recommendations or which areas to fish for a chuck newby??

Thanks,

Jamie
04-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Warrior , I can help. just on my phone right now. I will reply later.

Curly
04-05-2012, 08:37 PM
I fish Rupert 2-3 times a year, If I didnt have to work to support all my bad habits I would move out to the West coast. I love it out there, Wife dont.

We used to do the day charters until we were going 3x a year, thats when I bought my own boat and gear and started doing it on my own.

Jamie can help you better, Jamie and his guides live it all summer.
I will help where I can. I do 12-16 days a summer out there, learning it as we go. We do put fish in the boat, limits of Salmon, hali, ling, crab plus plenty of bottom fish and prawns. Did I mention I love it out there?

I havent fished Kitimat, maybe one day if I ge the right contacts/info out there.

warriorboy10
04-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Curly, any one thing I need to pay particular attention to first time out??

warriorboy10
04-05-2012, 10:41 PM
Jamie, that sounds great!! I could sure use a heads up to get started. Not a place to take lightly i'm sure. And lots to learn.

Fishhunter
04-06-2012, 05:56 AM
As far as scenery i like kitimat better but the fishing is better in rupert i should say closer in rupert, depends on how far your going out and are you doing day trips or staying on the boat.kitimat has some awsome hot springs that you just pull the boat up to and a few cabins to see within 30 miles of kitimat.we have done well in the bay in kitimat and alittle further out in sue channel and the crabbing in sue and where the kitimat river runs in is great.as for rupert i only went on day trips out to lucy island and did very well for halibut,bottom fish and salmon around the island,my brother goes out to dundas and around thet area but they stay on the boat and do very very good out there but thats to far for my little 16 foot aluminum.hope this gives you a bit of an idea look on google earth and that will help to.good luck.

Serengeti Charters
04-06-2012, 06:42 AM
In comparing the two with respect to fishing, Rupert would be better, and considering you have a good sized ocean boat makes rupert better decision as well. If you were in a super small boat I'd of suggested kitimat and nailed a ton of Coho.

50/50
04-06-2012, 08:15 AM
I would think that Rupert would have more choices as to fishing ...

tacklerunner
04-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Rupert for sure.

Curly
04-06-2012, 11:14 AM
In June, you dont have to run far to get on some Springs, North end of Porcher(Humpback, Hunts inlet, Edeye), North end Of stephens or even Sqautteri.

If your staying on boat or dont mind running 35miles, Dundas is worth checking out. Chatham sound can get rough, but you can always run down east side of Melville and pick your way into rupert
I run a Hewescraft 220 ET HT Oceanpro with 225 Honda and just do day trips, typicall trailer boat every night and stay in Hotel in Rupert

I run dummy Flasher 5' behind canon ball with cutplug Blue herring ~20' to clip, Depths can vary but typically 50-65'. Check your bait often
Late July/August, I use spoons and plugs. Thats usually when I take my daughters, pretty easy to get on alot of coho.

You mention fishing with the mrs's, so I assume pretty casual day trips, Staying on Boat? If your staying on boat, I hear parking is free at Port Edward. I put boat in at Cows bay in Rupert and pay the parking

You mention Chuck noob, Pay attention to weather, always use better judgement, know how to use Electronics properly, know your boat inside and out, If you never anchored have someone show you how to do it safely. I am sure others can add to this safety considerations. May sound like I am preaching but I just want us all to be safe and make it home with a boat full of fish :)

warriorboy10
04-06-2012, 12:46 PM
Knowing your electronics is critical. So it would be a good idea to carry paper charts for back up?
What do I need to know about anchoring the proper way?

warriorboy10
04-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Curly I PM'd you.

warriorboy10
04-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Hey Jamie, where you at? Need your vast knowledge.

Jamie
04-06-2012, 02:24 PM
Warrior, right here, give me a call
'403-813-2704

We can both be on Google earth at the same time to give you brief idea of what to expect.

Jamie