PDA

View Full Version : NSR safe to eat??

g_trout
04-05-2012, 09:47 PM
The 2012 fishing regs say to check the website for updates on safely eating fish. I checked it out and the NSR was not listed. It was in the regs last year. Did the standards change or are the fish cleaner??

buckmaster
04-05-2012, 09:56 PM
The 2012 fishing regs say to check the website for updates on safely eating fish. I checked it out and the NSR was not listed. It was in the regs last year. Did the standards change or are the fish cleaner??

The nsr has always has always had high mercury which is natural in the nsr waterbody and other contamenants that run-off from storm outfalls.IMO;.I wouldnt eat anything out of there.

Sloughsharkjigger
04-05-2012, 10:03 PM
NSR is a long watercourse! Bighorn Dam to Drayton.... I would not have a problem indulging in a fish or two. Drayton to Devon.... If I was really hungry. Devon and beyond.... Not a chance!

WayneChristie
04-05-2012, 10:41 PM
only the bull trout and sturgeon are good to eat, the rest glow in the dark

Geezle
04-05-2012, 10:54 PM
Short answer: technically yes, you can consume fish from the NSR - I believe an adult male can eat one fish per week (based on mercury content) and wimmens and children shouldn't consume.

Shorter answer: I probably wouldn't unless I'm *really* hungry :bad_boys_20:

yeahright
04-06-2012, 01:33 AM
only the bull trout and sturgeon are good to eat, the rest glow in the dark

HAHAHA! i like this quote!

Darren N
04-06-2012, 08:37 AM
The Mercury should be enough to turn you off, but when you get in the city limits and clean one, the corn inside should turn you off for good.

WillyOneStyle
04-06-2012, 09:00 AM
The Mercury should be enough to turn you off, but when you get in the city limits and clean one, the corn inside should turn you off for good.

ew.... real corn?

Darren N
04-06-2012, 09:28 AM
ew.... real corn?

Just what's downstream of the city sewers

Albertafisher
04-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Only upriver of Rocky Mountain House IMO

biggamehunter
04-06-2012, 05:01 PM
I ate a pike out of the legends hole mostly because my dad made me... and I didn't die :) Just sayin...

I wouldn't eat anything out the nsr though..

RavYak
04-06-2012, 07:37 PM
If you are just keeping the odd one then there isn't any problem with it. Not going to kill you or make you ill...

I wouldn't recommend eating them multiple times week after week though.

buckbrushoutdoors
04-06-2012, 10:21 PM
I keep my limit of goldeye all the time. They are only in the river a short time so I figure they should be go to go. Set them in a brine for 6-8 hours and Finnish them on the smoker, delicious

BGSH
04-06-2012, 10:51 PM
I keep my limit of goldeye all the time. They are only in the river a short time so I figure they should be go to go. Set them in a brine for 6-8 hours and Finnish them on the smoker, delicious

if the n.s.r goldeye are only in the river a short time where are they usually?

keeks
04-06-2012, 10:54 PM
if the n.s.r goldeye are only in the river a short time where are they usually?

They hang out in the farm fields and such, only returning to the river to spawn.

k

buckbrushoutdoors
04-06-2012, 10:57 PM
They migrate, I shouldnt say they aren't in the system they just leave our province in the fall and return in early summer

Klondike
04-07-2012, 12:45 AM
They migrate, I shouldnt say they aren't in the system they just leave our province in the fall and return in early summer

Leave the province and go where? Saskatchewan? If that were the case you couldn't force feed me one of those fish!!

Yea you better rethink that one buddy:bad_boys_20:

AppleJax
04-07-2012, 02:06 AM
Leave the province and go where? Saskatchewan? If that were the case you couldn't force feed me one of those fish!!

Yea you better rethink that one buddy:bad_boys_20:

Predatory fish like Pike Walleye and Burbot have more mercury compared to fish like Goldeye which primarily eat insects. I have thought about eating fish from the NSR and Goldeye sounds like a good choice, I have never ate Goldeye before however... If you dont want to eat any than dont eat any.

Klondike
04-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Predatory fish like Pike Walleye and Burbot have more mercury compared to fish like Goldeye which primarily eat insects. I have thought about eating fish from the NSR and Goldeye sounds like a good choice, I have never ate Goldeye before however... If you dont want to eat any than dont eat any.

That doesn't answer the question of where the goldeye go...

I have no problem eating, and have eaten, fish from the river above Dayton Valley. By looking at google earth all I see besides Rocky Mountian House is winderness.

Oddly enough the nsr is feed from Abraham Lake yet it isn't on the list. So a fish from the lake is good but is contaminated at the discharge of the dam. The Brazeau river flows into the nsr yet it isn't on the list either.

It would be great if they made a real effort to classify sections of that river but they don't.

Either way, beats the heck out of the fish from many pot hole lakes surrounded by cow pastures and chemical soaked grain fields.

NSRfishing
04-07-2012, 10:23 PM
Naturally Occurring Mercury

Isopod
04-08-2012, 01:08 AM
If my doctor told me I had a terrible disease and only had 6 months to live, then I might consider eating fish from the river.

chriscosta
04-08-2012, 04:36 PM
:budo:lmao i went down to the river where i seen multiple pics from on this forrum and to my suprise people were fishing and catching but im sure the powerful stream of water at hermitage is almost all poo mixed with pee condoms dirty diapers and god only knows what else so imo if you even touch those fish with your hands thats digusting i couldnt stand the steamy stench to even stay near nevermind fish up by gennesee is waaaayyyyyy cleaner

dwayne.bigred@gmail.com
04-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Please leave the river and drink your bottled water and leave for your cleaner lakes etc we are all happy on the river been eating he fish for over 35 years raised a family and the only problem I have is I can't go fishing enough . Lmfao

Abby87
04-08-2012, 05:03 PM

bs they do not migrate

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-08-2012, 05:17 PM
bs they do not migrate

Actually they Do , they head east into Saskatchewan Into tobin lake .

pickrel pat
04-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Actually they Do , they head east into Saskatchewan Into tobin lake .

not true.

cranky
04-08-2012, 07:16 PM
They hang out in the farm fields and such, only returning to the river to spawn.

k

Thats where they get the corn in there bellies darren n was speaking of.

Darren N
04-09-2012, 07:26 AM
Thats where they get the corn in there bellies darren n was speaking of.

Actually .... what is one thing you eat, then fish eat that doesn't digest very well. That's why it is more likely downstream from a city sewer.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-09-2012, 04:27 PM
not true.

Let me Clairify that for you , they winter in deeper holes and go as far as tobin lake ,

Marko
04-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Last spring, grey bush, me and 06dvx were fishing under the Beverly bridge, and not one word of a lie, a condom floated up to the pool I was standing at, and just sat there and swirled around, and around, and around for nearly 25 mins! Just sickening to see, but we all had a pretty good laugh about it. Just wondered where the hooker was that belonged to it!! Lol

pickrel pat
04-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Let me Clairify that for you , they winter in deeper holes and go as far as tobin lake ,

much better answer.......

Albertafisher
04-09-2012, 06:26 PM
much better answer.......

Actually, I read in a university textbook that goldeye do migrate east. A lot of them winter in deep holes and go as far as lake Winnepeg. It's why they aren't present early and late within the year.

pickrel pat
04-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Actually, I read in a university textbook that goldeye do migrate east. A lot of them winter in deep holes and go as far as lake Winnepeg. It's why they aren't present early and late within the year.

on a north/south flowing river like the peace, do they migrate north or south ? lol. pretty sure the goldeye around edmonton dont have time to make an annual summer trek from lake winipeg to edmonton and back again before winter. maybe though.......

Albertafisher
04-10-2012, 05:56 PM
on a north/south flowing river like the peace, do they migrate north or south ? lol. pretty sure the goldeye around edmonton dont have time to make an annual summer trek from lake winipeg to edmonton and back again before winter. maybe though.......

I think it's situational. I trust the biologists that wrote the book.

TyreeUM
04-10-2012, 06:25 PM

no, but they may go as far as codette reservoir...

pickrel pat
04-10-2012, 06:30 PM
no, but they may go as far as codette reservoir...

yes, but thats a far cry from lake winnipeg, lol, i have fished cadotte lake.

TyreeUM
04-10-2012, 06:31 PM
yes, but thats a far cry from lake winnipeg, lol, i have fished cadotte lake.

for sure, but that is still a hell of a migration

coyotezh
05-18-2012, 05:15 PM
According to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the risk from mercury by eating fish and shellfish shall not be a health concern for most people. However, certain seafood might contain levels of mercury that may cause harm to an unborn baby (and especially its brain development and nervous system). In a young child, high levels of mercury can interfere with the development of the nervous system. The FDA provides three recommendations for young children, pregnant women, and women of child-bearing age:
Do not eat shark, swordfish, king mackerel, or tilefish because they might contain high levels of mercury.
Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury. Five of the most commonly eaten fish and shellfish that are low in mercury are: shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish. Another commonly eaten fish, albacore or big eye ("white") tuna depending on its origin might have more mercury than canned light tuna. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, it is recommended that you should not eat more than up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week.
Check local advisories about the safety of fish caught by family and friends in your local lakes, rivers, and coastal areas. If no advice is available, eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) per week of fish you catch from local waters, but consume no other fish during that week.

pickrel pat
05-18-2012, 05:29 PM

tonnes of goldeye being caught right now around edmonton..........manitoba and sask fish?

greylynx
05-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Goldeye spawn out here and head back east for the winter.

Their eggs are designed to roll along the bottome of the river.

pickrel pat
05-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Goldeye spawn out here and head back east for the winter.

Their eggs are designed to roll along the bottome of the river.

how is it that people been catching lots of goldeye as soon as the ice went out? they couldnt have came from very far because immediatly after ice out, people were catching them......