PDA

View Full Version : Upper NSR Float ?

bobcatguy
04-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Has anyone floated any stretches of the uppper nsr? Say from bighorn dam to saunders , horburg, rocky to devon? Can you float any of these stretches as a day trip ? Are there any danger points a guy should know about?

Geezle
04-05-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm sorry but I don't have any answers to your questions, but I'm going to be keeping an eye on this thread.

A buddy and I want to do a 2-3 day float/fish/camp trip down the NSR this summer but I don't know much about the river upstream of Edmonton :o

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-05-2012, 11:15 PM
All I can tell you is that its alot cleaner and deeper , I remember in Jr high maybe Highschool cant recall we did a canoe trip from Rocky Mtn House to Fort Saskatchewan over 3 days .

pipercub17
04-05-2012, 11:52 PM
I worked 5 years as a raft guide and have done from nordegg to rocky many
Times class 2 to 3 rapids in the canyon and a small set of class 2 before rocky
Can be done In One day but also makes a nice over night trip
Fishing sucks always has but have got a few bull
Some river experience would be good to have and in run off the class 3
Turn in to class 4+
Send me a pm if you wanna know more
:sign0176:

doublehaul
04-06-2012, 04:53 AM
A family I know did a canoe trip from Boggy Hall to Devon last August. They have 4 kids aged 7-13 and a dog. They didn't do any fishing. I think it took them 4 days. Boggy Hall is upstream of Drayton valley, it's sort of north west of Alder Flats. He didn't have prior knowledge of the river so he used the canoing guide and maps also GPS.

Fishhunter
04-06-2012, 05:38 AM
From the dam to horburg if your fishing on the way is a overnighter and from horburg to rocky is about 6 to 8 if your fishing.i can't quite remember the river from the dam to horburg but its not to bad, we use to do it with all our gear and stay afloat and we are not pro's.after horburg there is a big rappid called devils elbow it's big but you can go around it,then the brierleys closer to rocky and you can also go around it.as for the fishing it can be good there are lots of good holes you are sure to catch rockys there are also cutts and browns they are a little smarter but if your a good fly fisher yuo will do ok.the best thing is it is a beautiful trip and you will love it, i think there use to be a feww canoe camps along the way that you can use if no one else is.good luck!!!!

bobcatguy
04-06-2012, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas. FH what were you floating in? Piper , when you say you put in at Nordegg would that be on the trunk road? I'm now thinking of doing dam to Saunders on day 1 & day 2 would see Saunders to either horburg or Rocky.

Fishhunter
04-06-2012, 09:48 AM
a canoe not paddling to much

pophouseman
04-06-2012, 09:56 AM
All I can tell you is that its alot cleaner and deeper , I remember in Jr high maybe Highschool cant recall we did a canoe trip from Rocky Mtn House to Fort Saskatchewan over 3 days .

from what I have read, drayton valley to edmonton is 3 days

Albertafisher
04-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Has anyone floated any stretches of the uppper nsr? Say from bighorn dam to saunders , horburg, rocky to devon? Can you float any of these stretches as a day trip ? Are there any danger points a guy should know about?

Rocky to Devon, no. That's a week trip. Keep an eye out for Devils Elbow in between Nordegg and Rocky.

Rabdo
04-06-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm interested in doing this float, but i have never done any floats before, or any canoeing lol. Anyone experienced in river floats interested in doing it with me? I got a 11.5 foot inflatable seamax hd I wanna use. PM me

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-06-2012, 08:52 PM
from what I have read, drayton valley to edmonton is 3 days

Oh crap that's what I meant Dayton valley I don't know why I wrote lol rocky man house . It was 3 days and a morning . Only crappy part wasn't allowed to fish .