PDA

View Full Version : fly fishing from a boat in a river

Jasonp
04-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Hello All,

I am fishing the bow today from a zodiac, I have never fly fished from a boat in a river and I was curious the best way to do this?

Drift the river and cast out? Anchor and cast? Beach the boat and wade?

Dust1n
04-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Depends on what your after iv only boated the bow 2 times but was using streamers the whole time.
Cast towards the banks then strip it in, If you get a fish on maneuver the boat towards shore and land the fish its alot easier. Dont anchor up because your not covering water. Lots of guys in drift boats guiding use nymphs under an indacator but thats not my style of fly fishing.

fish gunner
04-06-2012, 09:34 AM
if you are by your self, drift and wade maybe your best option. 1"+light brown stone flies were coming off last weekend. the fish just may respond to drys. as FH7 commented streamers on a sink tip should produce results. be sure to bring an anchor it will let you hold above fish holding water. do make sure to bring a spining outfit and a good selection of count down rapalas. I threw flies till lunch last sunday the swiched to spining gear and produced a half dozen nice rainbows. tight lines.

Jasonp
04-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks all!, no spinning gear unfortunately I only brough the fly rods :(. I appreciate the advice and will be using both your suggestions. Pics to come if I am successful

Steve fly guy
04-08-2012, 12:01 AM
Hi Guys,
I am also going to fish the Bow in 2 weeks, I will be fly fishing and my buddy will be spinning. I will hunt down some raplala's, as for the flys what is working...

Abby87
04-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Thanks all!, no spinning gear unfortunately I only brough the fly rods :(. I appreciate the advice and will be using both your suggestions. Pics to come if I am successful

Anchor in the proper spots and you will be nailing some nice fish.

bobalong
04-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Hello All,

I am fishing the bow today from a zodiac, I have never fly fished from a boat in a river and I was curious the best way to do this?

Drift the river and cast out? Anchor and cast? Beach the boat and wade?

I have had much more luck beaching and working the run, when drifting you get one shot at a fish, if you miss him you are drifted by. If you stop and fish good water you may get a few fish out of the same run. If you anchor and fish you are limiting yourself to a small portion of a run, and the fish may not be in that particular spot, and lots of times wading is the only option to get close to the "good" water.

Nait Hadya
04-08-2012, 10:25 PM
knowing where the fish are,i prefer to anchor slightly upstream and casting distance from them.

Doc
04-09-2012, 07:16 AM
I have had much more luck beaching and working the run, when drifting you get one shot at a fish, if you miss him you are drifted by. If you stop and fish good water you may get a few fish out of the same run. If you anchor and fish you are limiting yourself to a small portion of a run, and the fish may not be in that particular spot, and lots of times wading is the only option to get close to the "good" water.

Couldn't agree more, Bob's right on the money.