PDA

View Full Version : Salt water vs fresh water fishing gear

oldjeda
04-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Hey guys,

I need some help here. Can the fishing gear that WSS sells here in AB be used in salt water? I'm not a fisherman so I don't know this stuff. I have my daughter-in-laws parents visiting here from Papua New Guinea and I brought him over to WSS to buy fishing line and swivels and leaders and hooks and stuff cause he can't afford to buy this stuff over there. It was like watching a kid in a candy store for the first time. Anyway we walked away with $300 worth of stuff and will be getting more but the thot occurred to me later that this stuff might not last in saltwater conditions.

Any expert opinions would help.:)

TyreeUM
04-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Hey guys,

I need some help here. Can the fishing gear that WSS sells here in AB be used in salt water? I'm not a fisherman so I don't know this stuff. I have my daughter-in-laws parents visiting here from Papua New Guinea and I brought him over to WSS to buy fishing line and swivels and leaders and hooks and stuff cause he can't afford to buy this stuff over there. It was like watching a kid in a candy store for the first time. Anyway we walked away with $300 worth of stuff and will be getting more but the thot occurred to me later that this stuff might not last in saltwater conditions.

Any expert opinions would help.:)

I wouldn't call my opinion "expert", but my biggest concern would be any reels he may have purchased. You would not BELIEVE how fast a freshwater spinning reel will corrode when used fishing in saltwater.

oldjeda
04-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks for that but he is a reef fisherman who hand fishes over the side of the boat. No rod or reel. He just uses a handline with hook and weight and bait. Occasinally he will pull a lure behind the boat when he knows tuna are around.

NUK SOO KOW
04-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Definatley invest in a saltwater reel, as far as lures and such rinse them off with fresh water after use and it will prolong its life immensely.

TyreeUM
04-06-2012, 12:28 PM
also one more thing, check the hooks - some of the hooks used on freshwater lures will not last long in saltwater.