PDA

View Full Version : Brook Trout Fishing: Grand Prairie Area

TyreeUM
04-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Anyone care to comment on the lakes northwest of Grand Prairie? I think I might head up that way this year, never spent any time fishing in that area and I heard there are some decent brook trout lakes. Are they stocking triploids up there? Saw pictures of a few lakes in that area that guys were doing great ice fishing at this season. Thanks!

Greasemonkey
04-06-2012, 03:23 PM
The only lake I know of north west of gp is spring lake it's not bad think you will catch more bows there though sulfur up by grimshaw is not to bad and Pierre grey isn't bad either but that's by grande cache victor is supposed to have Brookies but I've yet to catch one there. Really nice ones in one island but that's in bc good luck

greylynx
04-06-2012, 05:04 PM
The only lake I know of north west of gp is spring lake it's not bad think you will catch more bows there though sulfur up by grimshaw is not to bad and Pierre grey isn't bad either but that's by grande cache victor is supposed to have Brookies but I've yet to catch one there. Really nice ones in one island but that's in bc good luck

Hey gm:

Do you maybe know why they put brookies in One Island?

Used to be great for rainbows.

TyreeUM
04-06-2012, 05:47 PM
thanks guys! One island lake, I have never heard of it. Does it grow decent brookies?

Greasemonkey
04-06-2012, 08:01 PM
There has been Brookies in there for a while not sure how long still are rainbows in there too all fish are triploid so they grow quite large more worried about eating than breeding also triploid in Pierre grey now too. One island is on the way to Dawson on the left side of the road down the heritage highway about an hour from gp there is a free weekend of fishing in bc like Alberta and I believe it is usually fathers day weekend. There is also Brookies in north cutbank river and possibly nose lake, there's another lake down the husky oil road called long lake with Brookies and supposed to be some in bear lake although don't think I would fish that slough hope this helps sorry there's also kinky lake by Hinton it has nice Brookies in it but if your going that far might as well go to the best brookie lake malinge in jasper

TyreeUM
04-06-2012, 08:15 PM
Awesome! You guys have been incredibly helpful. Thanks so much. If you ever head out to Sask and have questions about trout fishing please let me know.

bowbob
04-18-2012, 08:33 PM
I leave in beaver lodge, near by one island. I fish it a bit, all large fish, more rainbows, you can get some 2-3lb brook trout,the odd one bigger but are rare, we catch way more rainbows and 6-15lb rainbows.The odd one bigger a year. A very hard lake to catch, 1 out of 10 days, you can catch one fish, and go home disapointed the other 9 Days. While talking to all the others around, the same. I've seen many guys pack up after a week without a bite.
But in the area are many Good Brook trout lakes. Pierre Greys lake(Grande- cache) Spring Lake(Grande Prairie) Kinky Lake(near Hinton) Boot Lake (BC) Victor Lake, Heart Lake. Those are the best Brook Trout lakes around.

fishman
04-19-2012, 08:23 AM
I leave in beaver lodge, near by one island. I fish it a bit, all large fish, more rainbows, you can get some 2-3lb brook trout,the odd one bigger but are rare, we catch way more rainbows and 6-15lb rainbows.The odd one bigger a year. A very hard lake to catch, 1 out of 10 days, you can catch one fish, and go home disapointed the other 9 Days. While talking to all the others around, the same. I've seen many guys pack up after a week without a bite.
But in the area are many Good Brook trout lakes. Pierre Greys lake(Grande- cache) Spring Lake(Grande Prairie) Kinky Lake(near Hinton) Boot Lake (BC) Victor Lake, Heart Lake. Those are the best Brook Trout lakes around.

Pierre Grey lake is not a very good brookie lake anymore as it gets hit so hard by the ice fisherman, i don't think he is looking for a ;lake like pierre grey lake.....as far as hinton that is a long way aways from the peace area and another lake i doubt he wants to fish as it is lots of smaller fish.........spring lake is a lot better lake but not a dominant brookie lake, spring lake produce ok size of fish but there is better gems around........as far as island lake for a avid fisherman it is worth fishing with some great results maybe not many fish but you never know how big a fish you can get......victor lake is that victor lake by grand cache and never heard of heart lake

BigJon
04-19-2012, 08:52 AM
North of GP there is Stoney Lake and Sulphur Lake. They are stocked with both brookies and rainbows in alternating years. The last few years I am pretty sure has been all triploids.

I have caught nice brookies out of both those lakes.

johnk
04-19-2012, 09:11 AM
I would definitely give One Island a go. If you're a keen flyfisher you will get fish. Just takes a sharp mind to solve the puzzle which is no different than any other lake.Huge rainbows there and I've landed brookies to 6 lbs. Fish the structure and you'll find fish!

Just down the road is Boot Lake and is a good one to save for when the wind is howling on One Island.

saskfly
05-04-2012, 04:58 PM
Interested in Kinky Lake near Hinton as I will be working my way back in June from Maligne. So far I have Maligne, Millers and possibly Kinky. Plan on hitting at least four lakes...any info greatly appreciated!

1/2 oz Bucktail
05-07-2012, 08:23 AM
The north lake of Two lakes is listed as having brookies, plus you get the benefit of hitting up cutties at the south lake. Also have heard of brookies up in Nose Lake.

TUFFBUFF
05-07-2012, 12:29 PM
The north lake of Two lakes is listed as having brookies, plus you get the benefit of hitting up cutties at the south lake. Also have heard of brookies up in Nose Lake.

I think the brookies winterkilled, and they restocked with rainbows in the N lake the last 5-6 years, if there's any left they'll be big.

bugslinger22
05-07-2012, 02:07 PM
Just had one of the best rainbow fishing day ever at moonshine lake of all places, a few were pulled out in the 22inch category.

zappyoldfart
08-12-2012, 12:31 PM
Stony and Running Lake have got brookies, think the guys who talked about triploids are right. wife caught a nice brookie about 3 pounds at Stony May long weekend, head on it looked real mean & and it bent the hook! Spring Lake near Hythe winterkilled this past winter, shame too because last fall you couldn't catch a fish less than 3 pounds (both brookie and rainbow!), but now there are only newly stocked brookies there.