PDA

View Full Version : The worst day ever on the Bow!

Jasonp
04-06-2012, 09:45 PM
So CarterM and myself went to the Bow today. We arrived in Calgary around 12. We attempted to put the new zodiac together. Only took us an hour... -_-. Powered the motor on and off we went into the rapids... Surely we thought a 9.9 would be plenty for the river but after moving upstream about 1 foot after going full throtle for 45 seconds as well as tearing up the prop... We tried to go for the shore (opposite side of the boat lunch).

We beached the boat and fished for an hour without any luck. Thought we should pack the boat up and stop worrying about it however the boat was deflated quite a bit so carter pushed me half way across the river and I paddled to the boat launch.

Unfortunately Carter didn't realize the closest place to cross was 3 kilometers away and he had no fishing rod as he left it in the boat!

So while he walked for about an hour and a half, I spoke to a very nice guy who gave me some great pointers and even a fly to try out. As he was leaving he told me to try his spot and told me a few other sweet spots upstream.

Carter eventually made his way back and we fished the few spots the guy told us about and I am somewhat happy to say I hooked into my first Rainbow outta the bow and my first fish on a fly rod near 20". I brought it in to net and it took a run and snapped my line.... Carter lost one as well and we missed a couple others

Anyways, sorry for the crappy grammer as I'm writeing this on the way back to edmonton and I'm so tired I didn't proof read :)

WayneChristie
04-06-2012, 09:48 PM
might want to do a bit of editing when you get home, only people that are allowed to use motors in the city limits are the police and the fire boat

Jasonp
04-06-2012, 09:52 PM
We were at policeman flats. I probablt should do that :)

trapshooter
04-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Better luck next time! LOL

usie33
04-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Good to hear your buddy made it back and you guys were able to get a bit of fishing in! Too bad none were landed but at least you were able to hook into a few, and end the day a little bit better then it started off. I was curious to hear how long it would take your buddy to get back.... I was the guy you ran into and its good to hear the pointers paid off, the Bow can be very frustrating. Did you get the fish in the first hole that I sent you too or was it one of the ones up stream?

Jasonp
04-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Hey man!

Once again thanks a lot, I think it took him just under 2 hours to get back, he did say he stopped to talk to a couple of people as well and he doesn't move very fast haha.

We fished one of the ones upstream, I tried your hole that you were fishing for a bit but had no luck.

I think we are going to try once more next weekend and see how that goes. No boat this time that's for sure..

Hopefully see you out there again!

usie33
04-07-2012, 09:56 AM
Hey,
Haha oo nice well thats quicker then I thought it would take. Well good to hear you were able to find some fish and hopefully next weekend is productive. Probably a good idea not to take the boat this time....:thinking-006: Well good luck, good meeting you

carterM
04-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Ya I have no idea how long the walk was... By the time I left I was too ****ed to check and see the time. I did meet a few nice people on the way and got a few tips from them. It's not too bad of a walk at least. One side had a pretty good goat trail to follow. The other side, where you would launch at policeman's flats, gas a bit of a trail but there are a few fences to deal with. Nothing too serious.

That river is alot more difficult to fish than any of the mountain streams we've fished in the past. I think alot of it has to do with the size. Or could have alot to do with the fact that neither of us really knows what we're doing lol.

bowness
04-07-2012, 10:23 AM
might want to do a bit of editing when you get home, only people that are allowed to use motors in the city limits are the police and the fire boat

I believe the city limits ends at the deerfoot bridge?? It was upriver about 1.5 km (Dawes pit) but was moved. When I think you once were able to hunt ducks at dawes it amazes me how much this city grows.

carterM
04-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Yep the city limits sign is right on the Deerfoot bridge. I saw it as I was walking past lol.