PDA

View Full Version : Great Fly-fishing spots -

King_fisher
04-08-2012, 01:44 AM
Hi Everyone, I'm new to Calgary and of course I am very excited for this summer's fishing season.

I'm Looking for some places to fly fish, Does anyone know any calm rivers that are good to fish? Or lakes that would be good for belly boating within a hour or 2 drive from Calgary?

Last weekend I fished parts of the Bow but with no luck!

The more replies the better, as any idea can potentially be a good one.

"A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at the office"

qballs
04-08-2012, 07:07 AM
The bow is amazing. I fish it every chance I get

Flyfisher87
04-08-2012, 08:21 AM
I am partial to Cataract Creek myself. It takes me about an hour and a half to get there as it takes me about 10 minutes to get out of the city. Beautiful area, campground nearby, and usually there is a fish or two willing to show themselves. Down the road from there is the Livingstone River. Nice sized cutts, and some decent sized bulls in there. I love the campground there too. Small, and peaceful.

Flyfisher87
04-08-2012, 08:25 AM
As far as lakes go, there is Beauvais Lake down by Pincher Creek. Can put a float tube in there. Nice campground. Just watch the wind as you will get blown around like a floating pop can. Lees Lake is another option. There is also Chinook lake and Crowsnest Lake in that area, but I have never been to them so I have no info there. If you want to wear off a bit of boot leather, try Chester Lake and Lillian Lake in K-Country.

Cowtown guy
04-08-2012, 08:27 AM
Hi Everyone, I'm new to Calgary and of course I am very excited for this summer's fishing season.

I'm Looking for some places to fly fish, Does anyone know any calm rivers that are good to fish? Or lakes that would be good for belly boating within a hour or 2 drive from Calgary?

Last weekend I fished parts of the Bow but with no luck!

The more replies the better, as any idea can potentially be a good one.

"A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at the office"

Don't give up on the Bow. It is world renowned for a good reason. Take some time and learn it. You will not be disappointed. The Rainbows are getting out to spawn now so there aren't as many willing fish as there will be after runoff.

Big fish of both species are quite abundant.

Wes_G
04-08-2012, 03:58 PM
The Bow is world class for a reason.

bikerman
04-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Google Lees lake west of Pincher Creek. Tons of small rainbows, easy access, and lots of streams in the surrounding area. You will really enjoy the fishing around Alberta. Get yourself a copy of the Alberta Fishing Guide(a yearly publication) at any Canadian tire checkout or bookstore. This is my fishing bible with decent directions to water bodies all over Alberta.

Bhflyfisher
04-09-2012, 09:15 AM
they just dumped some brooders into lees. I would head there if you're just looking to catch fish.