PDA

View Full Version : New Duramax Info...

Hooked07
03-14-2008, 11:17 PM
Just purchased a new Chevy 2500 HD LTZ with the Duramax/Allison and looking to add a few aftermarket improvements. Almost everything I've read from searches is in the states and was wondering if you guys had any ideas or references on improving not only the look but the performance also.

7 REM MAG
03-15-2008, 09:31 PM
chip it, injector upgrade, turbo upgrade, exhaust, cold air, lift it, decal package, mags, bigger tires, the list goes on and on

madatter
03-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Most bang for buck is without doubt "chipping" or "programming".
Be it Bullydog,Superchips or whatever the gains on a diesel are pretty impressive with a programmer alone,after that it's how much you want to spend and how far you want to go!

A little bit of a lift and bigger tires always looks good to me,ya you might as well get some new rims with the new tires.
I won't own another truck without a spray in bedliner.....
Undercoating is always a good idea...especially in the wheel wells
A fancy new chrome grill(so many to choose from) would look good...
I love spending other peoples money!!!

Hooked07
03-16-2008, 05:18 PM
Yeah the list can go on and on if I was a millionaire but the free ticket I won yesterday just doesnt cut it. After some internet time I decided to go with the Banks Cold Air Intake and should get'er in about a week. Was looking at a chip to help improve the fuel economy if this is even possible??? Sounds kind of sketchy from what I've read. With 1000kms on the truck getting approx 475-500 km per tank of fuel but heard it gets better. I will be using it to pull the trailer so smoking tires is not my thing but improving fuel economy, if possible, would be great.

7 REM MAG
03-16-2008, 05:33 PM
edge chip with attitude is supposed to be a great chip, fuel economy will be increased a little bit but most of it is the may you drive, lead foot=poor mileage. also wider fender flares will look pretty good

Rust
03-16-2008, 05:41 PM
Get-er chipped man!!!!! And yeah the milage does get better. If your foot is not to the floor all the time. Although your new Duramax has probably got more HP stock then my 2000 Dodge has got with a 65 hp chip :cry:

harv3589
03-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Talk to your dealership...when I did they said you can kiss your warranty good bye on the diesel with any mods.

pencapchew
03-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Dont chip it, well unless you want to be the guinea pig, the new diesels with dpf's are completely different then the old ones.

Hooked07
03-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Yes the infamous diesel particulate filter. I've heard nothing but negative things about this new government emissions standard. Decreased fuel economy for the sake of lower emmissions is what I've been reading. I'll have to wait and see the results to judge for myself. Has no one chipped the new 2008 LMM Duramax yet?

Brady
03-17-2008, 08:07 AM
Google "The diesel place". They have a message board that is duramax only, and you can get good advice in there about what works on trucks that are exactly like yours.
If you can't find it let me know, and I can give you the link for it, it is on my other computer. I read it intently before mod'ing up my '04, and I am getting 1000 km's on a good tank of fuel.

Hooked07
03-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Received the Banks Air Intake I ordered from anythingdiesel off ebay and was asked to pay $76 bucks upon delivery for brokerage fees? On the order site it's listed as $20 shipped to canada, I've ordered my fair share from Cabelas and what not and was never asked for brokerage fees at my door. Anyone know of a good Canadian diesel performance parts site?

trda
03-17-2008, 10:06 PM
You could try NADP(North American Diesel Performance). Like posted earlier the best thing you can do is read the forums,talk to guy's that have done it. The Diesel Stop is also a good forum to check. As for warranty if you put over sized tires on your truck they can void your warranty. Any mod to your truck can do this. It all depends on the dealership. They would have a very hard time proving that your truck was chipped unless you tell them or leave it in when you take it to them.

harv3589
03-18-2008, 07:43 AM
As for warranty if you put over sized tires on your truck they can void your warranty. Any mod to your truck can do this. It all depends on the dealership. They would have a very hard time proving that your truck was chipped unless you tell them or leave it in when you take it to them.

That's interesting, when I talked to the local GM dealership they told me that any mods to a diesel engine would void the warranty but for gas engine you could do pretty much anything short of putting a supercharger on it.