PDA

View Full Version : Cypress Lake?

yulful
04-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Does anyone know if there are fish in cypress lake and what type might be in there? It's 20KM south of the Cypress Hills SK provincal park, it's a huge lake!!

TyreeUM
04-09-2012, 09:04 AM
That huge lake is a reservoir created from diverting water from Belanger, Battle, and Sucker Creek. It is quite large (full) right now, but mainly due to high water levels in the area the past few years. Cypress Lake is the headwaters of the Frenchman River and, because of this, has a population of Northern Pike. The province also stocked a few mature pike (12 to be exact) to try to boost the population, but this was just recently done in 2011. The odd brown trout, rainbow trout, and brook trout do make their way into the lake, but do not survive the winter unless the lake is at capacity. The odd walleye might be found there as well, but not enough to likely target. It used to be a fantastic fishery back in the 70s and 80s with lots of large walleye, pike, and some huge trout, but now it is mostly filled with HUGE white suckers.

If the water levels stay high, it should be a great place in 4 or 5 years.

yulful
04-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks tyreeum,
Id like to launch a boat out there one day I'm at the cabin. I can't seem to find anything on regulations there for season/limits/motors, anything!!! Do you know who I could contact? I think it would be interesting just to use a fish finder and find so pools of whatever is living there

192 whitey
04-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks tyreeum,
Id like to launch a boat out there one day I'm at the cabin. I can't seem to find anything on regulations there for season/limits/motors, anything!!! Do you know who I could contact? I think it would be interesting just to use a fish finder and find so pools of whatever is living there

I launched in there about 5 yrs ago we cruised the whole lake and deepest water we could find was 6 ft when I was a kid in early seventies it was good fishing, however there is alittle lake couple miles south of the park turn, on east side called pan lake you have to pay for access but has big browns and nice perch and a launch spot make sure you pay or farmer will boot you

Smokey
04-09-2012, 02:14 PM
That huge lake is a reservoir created from diverting water from Belanger, Battle, and Sucker Creek. It is quite large (full) right now, but mainly due to high water levels in the area the past few years. Cypress Lake is the headwaters of the Frenchman River and, because of this, has a population of Northern Pike. The province also stocked a few mature pike (12 to be exact) to try to boost the population, but this was just recently done in 2011. The odd brown trout, rainbow trout, and brook trout do make their way into the lake, but do not survive the winter unless the lake is at capacity. The odd walleye might be found there as well, but not enough to likely target. It used to be a fantastic fishery back in the 70s and 80s with lots of large walleye, pike, and some huge trout, but now it is mostly filled with HUGE white suckers.

If the water levels stay high, it should be a great place in 4 or 5 years.

Is there any restrictions on boats on the lake?

TyreeUM
04-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Is there any restrictions on boats on the lake?

I don't thinks so, but like the previous poster stated it is quite shallow. On a side note, "Pan lake" is the local name for Blacker Lake - which is how it appears in both the stocking records and map locations.

What type of fish are you planning on targeting in Cypress Lake?

yulful
04-09-2012, 08:22 PM
I'm not looking for any specific fish. Im just looking for something close to my cabin when I bring my boat out. Do you have a contact for that farmer?

TyreeUM
04-09-2012, 09:36 PM
I'm not looking for any specific fish. Im just looking for something close to my cabin when I bring my boat out. Do you have a contact for that farmer?

I do but it is at work, I will PM you it tomorrow. The south side of the lake has a small park and public access to the water.

Where is your Cabin? How big of a boat do you have? Have you ever fished Eastend Reservoir?

192 whitey
04-10-2012, 05:49 AM

Farmer has #posted at the entrance but lives almost inside the park 5 or 6 miles away you will have to run around a bit the first time but they sell a pass for the year, kind of funny how a farmer can control access to a stocked lake but I pay almost everywhere else I go as well.

yulful
04-10-2012, 10:40 AM
I do but it is at work, I will PM you it tomorrow. The south side of the lake has a small park and public access to the water.

Where is your Cabin? How big of a boat do you have? Have you ever fished Eastend Reservoir?

The cabin is in Cypress Hills, SK side. I've never fished Eastend Res, I'm fairly new to fishing in SK.

Arachnodisiac
04-10-2012, 10:47 AM
That lake can grow some nasty algae in the summer... I forget what it's called, but it can make cattle take ill, and I'm pretty sure it made my dog ill when I was there in 2010.