PDA

View Full Version : Fly Reels

Flieguy
04-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Has anyone used a Redington drift or Amundsen TCR fly reel? I want a new 4wt reel (to replace my Okuma Sierra). Open to other suggestions, needs to be light, and look pretty. Click and pawl drags preferred. Thanks!

mikeym
04-09-2012, 09:00 AM
take a look at the Lamson reels. best reel i have owned with a very nice drag system. not very expensive either and fairly light for the price. i owned a Redington and Okuma large arbour reels before this one and hated them both. horrible drag systems and if you weren't paying attention while reeling in, the line tended to bunch up on one side and then jam.

rgds
Mike

lannie
04-09-2012, 09:13 AM
Islander IR2 would be a good one. I realize they might be a bit more than you are planning to spend but you would never end up replacing it.
When buying gear i have never had buyers remorse because i spent more than i planned, only when i did not spend enough. Buy once and buy right.

Bhflyfisher
04-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Take a look at the Allen Trout reels, for 110 bucks, they beat the crap out of anything else in their price range, and you can choose between navy blue, green, red, and black and gun metal. They have enough drag to stop trout and look pretty slick too. No big advertisement on the reel with the company name across it.

I already have one for my 6 weight and love it, Im buying another one for my winston 4wt, the green reel to match it.

npauls
04-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Has anyone used a Redington drift or Amundsen TCR fly reel? I want a new 4wt reel (to replace my Okuma Sierra). Open to other suggestions, needs to be light, and look pretty. Click and pawl drags preferred. Thanks!

The TCR has a cork disc drag system. If you wanted click pawl style then it probably wouldn't be an option.

I am not even sure if Amundson makes a click pawl drag system reel. I will look into it and see what I can find.

Erik
04-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Amundson does not have click pawl to my knowledge, nor does Lamson.

As far as a pretty, click pawl goes I would second the opinion on the Islander IR. Both quality and pretty in one package.

TFO has some click pawl for cheap. They look to be quality but are not as pretty.

I have no opinion on the Reddington, except that I passed on the opportunity to own a Rise to purchase Lamsons instead. This is for disc drag, however.

kissarmygeneral
04-09-2012, 12:24 PM
My buddy uses the drift, its a pretty decent real. 180$ i think? For an extra $20 you can move up to a Sage, i forget the model but it's a fine reel.

npauls
04-09-2012, 12:29 PM
I checked into it some more and Amundson doesn't offer a click pawl reel. They are all a disc drag system.

greylynx
04-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Greys has a pawl reel with the insides just like the old Hardy Prince.

The pawl is plastic. cheap cheap cheap cheap

Flieguy
04-09-2012, 05:14 PM
I like Lamsons and own a 7wt Konic. the only problem is i prefer a pretty reel and to get a nice shiny finish on a Lamson you have to spend a fortune. I also like click drags for small reels. Would also consider a centrepin (usually palm the reel anyway). The sage click is nice, I tried one at the western canadian fly expo, but out of my price range...

EP2
04-10-2012, 09:29 AM
Orvis BBS (Battenkill Bar Stock), mid-100$. Disc drag, looks and sounds like a click/pawl. I like it. Very Small reels. The BBS III and Islander IR4 are for generally the same line size, but are very different in diameter.