PDA

View Full Version : Rod and reel

crudedude
04-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Hi there,

Was just wondering if someone may have some advice on a nice rod and reel for under $200. It will be mainly used for jigging Walleyes. I was looking at Shimano Stradic 2000 series and a Shimano Claurus 2 piece rod 6'6" ML fast action. Has anyone used the R series Rapala rods or reels. Or perhaps Quantum products. Any help would be great. Thanks.

NSRfishing
04-09-2012, 08:58 PM
i had a rtype then i fell on it snapped it was a great rod new line looks good

hunter49
04-09-2012, 09:10 PM
I believe shimano stradics are going for around just under $200. I would highly recommend paying the extra $$ for one. I love those reels, fish them exclusively and have never had a problem. For your needs a 2500 series would likely suit the bill unless you go to a smaller jigging rod then you could drop down to a 1000 series.

Walleyemagnet
04-09-2012, 09:12 PM
You'll like the Stradic. Spend a few more bucks and get the Compre, you won't be disappointed.

TyreeUM
04-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Check fishing hole, they had both the stradic FI and last years compre rods on sale for 40% off. If your local store doesn't have any left, see if they can transfer some from another store. I much prefer the compre over the clarus in the lighter action rods.

If you cant get that deal, I would recommend picking up a compre and a pflueger president. That is a great combo for around 200 bucks if you can't fork out the extra cash for a stradic. Good luck!

pelada trochu
04-09-2012, 09:32 PM
i got a browning hi-power light action. its a boron graphite with very light weight and sensitive. has the open seat and split grip to enhance sensitivity even more.

i matched it to a 500 series sahara reel. cost about 200 together. the reel is super light (check the specs) and with the light weight rod it feels like a straw in your hand.

put 6lb test on it and it should be killer this year for the walleye. also great for my young daughter. 1000 series is better if used exclusively by an adult.

i was shown an older compre and did really like it. nice tip action.

looked at the rapala r series and didnt like them for being too stiff, though the browning is super stiff also.

there is also a bottom bouncer series specific rod at bass pro with a nice moderate action tip which would be great too.

good luck and enjoy.

chubbdarter
04-09-2012, 09:53 PM
Check fishing hole, they had both the stradic FI and last years compre rods on sale for 40% off. If your local store doesn't have any left, see if they can transfer some from another store. I much prefer the compre over the clarus in the lighter action rods.

If you cant get that deal, I would recommend picking up a compre and a pflueger president. That is a great combo for around 200 bucks if you can't fork out the extra cash for a stradic. Good luck!

Good advice, lots of other non current makes and models that are 40% off also.

Its a real exciting year for new tackle also. New rods from Rapala are hitting a unreal price point for their high quality.
Quantum reels are impressive to say the least.
All the manufacturers have stepped it up and we the fisherman benifit.

Good luck choosing a rod and reel, take TY's advice head down to TFH and shake some of those sticks.

ReconWilly
04-10-2012, 12:29 AM
Hard to beat a stradic/clarus combo, compres are nice too but will blow your budget and wont make you fish any better, rods and reels are tools and you have to outsmart the fish no matter what you use, i have stradic/clarus combos for everything and will buy more in the future, happy shopping!!

gl2
04-10-2012, 06:57 PM
i am pretty sure the fishin hole in calgary is blowing out the quantum ptib reels. a very solid reel. paired with a tour edition pt you cant go wrong.....but hey i am a quantum fan. you might want to give them a call and maybe you can get a little more bang for your buck.

SamSteele
04-15-2012, 10:58 PM
Just posted a thread on this, but Cabelas in Edmonton has their last year Shimano rods on 50% off sale. I picked up a Crucial for $80. That leaves you $120 to get yourself a decent reel. The Abu Garcia Orra SX is a decent reel for that price. The Pfleuger and Shimano product lines have good reels at that price point too. I think it comes down to personal preference, just remember to look a little farther than the number of bearings in the reel.

SS

Pike'n'walleye
04-16-2012, 11:05 PM
St Croix Avid 6'6 ML such an awesome rod. Put a shimno symmetre or stradic on it in size 3000 because the 3000 sized reels in shimano weight 0.2 ounces less than the 2500. i have that combo its awesome for walleye jigging!:sHa_shakeshout:

pelada trochu
04-17-2012, 12:39 AM
St Croix Avid 6'6 ML such an awesome rod. Put a shimno symmetre or stradic on it in size 3000 because the 3000 sized reels in shimano weight 0.2 ounces less than the 2500. i have that combo its awesome for walleye jigging!:sHa_shakeshout:

i had a look at the symetre the other day. looks like its the same reel but with a larger relief cut into the spool to hold more line. so the spool is slightly lighter. no advantages due to shape changes so it wont cast farther. think the knob on the handle is slightly diff. touch more drag. holds 20yards more 10lb test, 0.2 ounce is 5.67grams so I think 20 yards probably weighs close to that.
might not make a diff... unless you need another 20 yards of 10lbs

TyreeUM
04-17-2012, 08:36 AM
i had a look at the symetre the other day. looks like its the same reel but with a larger relief cut into the spool to hold more line. so the spool is slightly lighter. no advantages due to shape changes so it wont cast farther. think the knob on the handle is slightly diff. touch more drag. holds 20yards more 10lb test, 0.2 ounce is 5.67grams so I think 20 yards probably weighs close to that.
might not make a diff... unless you need another 20 yards of 10lbs

Dont get a symetre! If you are at that price point and can't push for a stradic, go with a different brand. That stupid symetre is way over-priced and performs about as well as a 30 dollar quantum. I would go with a pflueger or a higher end quantum before I would drop that cash on a symetre.

Shmag
04-17-2012, 08:44 AM
I love the feel of the Fenwick Walleye series rods in 6' or 6.6'. Have a few of them and one with an Abu reel is a very good combo well under the $ 200 mark. Good luck in your decision, there is alot of options out there in that price range

TROLLER
04-17-2012, 03:07 PM
WOW what a variance of opinions on this one.

SO HERE'S MINE

Shimano Strdic but in the C!4 2500 or 1000/

Leave the Rapalla rod alone, not worth it, same with the Shimano. Go with a St.Croix, best bang for your buck. They are considerably less then they used to be.

Shimana CI4 with 6 1/2 ST. Croix light rod and you have one lean mean jigging or lindy rig fishing machine.

fishermansfriend
04-17-2012, 05:44 PM
i just picked up a trout set up and well its AMAZING!!!

5'6 shimano clarus with a shimano stradic 1000fj.. Only thing i can say is the clarus snapped on the second day so i took it back to bass pro and they replaced it for me no problem. They figured it was a manufacture defect.

This setup is amazing i love it, so sensitive and very smooth casting and retrieve. I am assuming if you step up to a bit heavier rod in the clarus model youd be more than satisfied.:sHa_shakeshout:

I find when jigging you want a really sensitive rod as walleye some times take the lure/bait very softly.

but what do i know hehe

crudedude
04-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Hello, thanks for all your suggestions. I ended up with a C1 4 2500 and a Compre 6'6" ML rod. Income tax was good to me.

ReconWilly
04-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Hello, thanks for all your suggestions. I ended up with a C1 4 2500 and a Compre 6'6" ML rod. Income tax was good to me.

Awesome choice, you wont regret that investment.

Warmbreeze
04-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Shimano is awesome! They discontinue parts after like 3 years of a reel being released. Good customer service as well.

Hooker
04-19-2012, 09:06 PM
You can skimp on the rod ... don't skimp on the reel.