PDA

View Full Version : Pistol loads or rifle loads?

bronc_twister
04-09-2012, 09:40 PM
I'm looking into reloading some 45 shells for My Rossi Ranch Hand and I'm just not too sure what loads I should follow in my Hornady book.They have a Rossi rifle listed as a test gun in the rifle section and then a ruger blackhawk and a Tompson Centre with a ten inch barrel.(My Rossi has a 12 Inch barrel). There seems to be alot more selection in the pistol section in regards to differnt bullet weights and types of powder. I also have an issue with burn marks on my cases.Is there anything a guy could do to fix this or is it just an oversized chamber and I have to live with it?

V_1
05-16-2012, 01:11 PM
I load rifle loads for my 45LC and they are hot. I came to conclusion that RH can handle everything strong Ruger revolver can. Here is a hint:

http://www.underwoodammo.com/45coltlongcoltp300grainxtpjacketedhollowpointboxof 50.aspx

These loads are safe in all large frame Ruger revolvers, TC Contender, Colt Anaconda, and Freedom Arms firearms. These loads are safe in all modern Model 1892 leverguns as well as all Winchester & Marlin 1894's. DO NOT USE IN ANY OTHER FIREARM. THESE ARE NOT STANDARD PRESSURE CARTRIDGES! Do not use +P ammunition in firearms that are replicas of early designs, such as rolling blocks, Sharps and Colt-style single action army revolvers.

Built to the tightest tolerances for peak performance rivaling and sometimes surpassing handloads in many guns. XTP Bullets feature a performance-improved point that has 6 precise folds to divide the bullet into symmetrical sections and initiate controlled expansion at low velocities while not fragmenting at higher velocities. They expand reliably at a wide range of velocities for a deep, terminal penetration with every shot. This ammunition is new production, non-corrosive, in boxer-primed, reloadable brass cases.

Technical Information

Caliber: 45 Colt (Long Colt)
Bullet Weight: 300 Grains
Bullet Style: Jacketed Hollow Point
Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:

Muzzle Velocity: 1300 fps

So now imagine what pressure does it take to drive 300Gr bullet at 1300fps.

I think 45LC in this case surpassed factory 44mag (add stopping power of approx 20% larger bullet) and effectively comes close to factory 45-70...
But in such loads you'd want some strong bullet like XTP MAG, regular XTP will be OK IMO on deer-sized game tho.