PDA

View Full Version : What are the rules around kids and shooting?

Canuck Bob
04-10-2012, 08:27 AM
My kids are 8 and 10 and I want to understand the rules around kids and shooting, please?

huntinstuff
04-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Arms length from a person with a valid firearms license for the type of firearm being used

Shoot straight too

timsesink
04-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Arms length from a person with a valid firearms license for the type of firearm being used

Shoot straight too

x2, know the four basic safety rules and pound into their heads

Okotokian
04-10-2012, 08:41 AM
My kids are 8 and 10 and I want to understand the rules around kids and shooting, please?

You can't shoot them, period. As a parent I know sometimes you want to, but you can't.

Sledhead71
04-10-2012, 08:51 AM
You can't shoot them, period. As a parent I know sometimes you want to, but you can't.

Classic Man :)

winger7mm
04-10-2012, 09:02 AM
Classic Man :)

X2 I almost lost my coffee :D

270WIN
04-10-2012, 12:39 PM

Good one Okie. Funniest I've seen on here in a while.

Canuck Bob
04-10-2012, 12:42 PM

That is funny. My Mom asked me once why God gives you teenagers. Apparently its so they don't break your heart when they leave home. I got an apartment soon after that. :bad_boys_20:

Canuck Bob
04-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Can I let them shoot a 22 under direct supervision? I got them a little Steven Model 30 Favorite to shoot then got thinking I better check things out.

It really riles me to even have to ask!

sillyak
04-10-2012, 12:51 PM
Can I let them shoot a 22 under direct supervision? I got them a little Steven Model 30 Favorite to shoot then got thinking I better check things out.

It really riles me to even have to ask!

Assuming you have a valid PAL/POL all is good so long you are in direct supervision. Direct means arms reach and not dicking around doing something else.

couleefolk
04-10-2012, 04:13 PM
my suggestion is to join a junior rifle club. we often start them at the age of 8 if they are large bodied. our club has enough room for 6 students side by side, and the rcmp have never said boo about the range officer being more than arms length away, and at competition the coaches have to stay back behind the spotting tables. the rifle club provides a weekly "safe" hands on approach on how to handle firearms, and coaching on how to place a shot well.

u_cant_rope_the_wind
04-10-2012, 04:55 PM

Safety safety safety, after that safety,
and always use common sense
no horse playing around,
safety, common sense

jkerr1976
04-10-2012, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=Canuck Bob;1386651]My kids are 8 and 10 and I want to understand the rules around kids and shooting, please?[/QUOT

:test: promote safety

THE VITAL FOUR ACTS OF FIREARMS SAFETY

Assume every firearm is loaded.
Control the muzzle direction at all times.
Trigger finger must be kept off the trigger and out of the trigger guard.
See that the firearm is unloaded - PROVE it safe.
PROVE

Point the firearm in the safest available direction.
Remove all cartridges.
Observe the chamber.
Verify the feeding path.
Examine the bore.

Comstar
04-10-2012, 09:04 PM
Make them prove it's safe twice, bolt open and magazine out.

Also make use of the safety on the rifle.

Other than that it should be safe, if you take your kids to the range (depending on range rules) everyone should be ok with the kids as long as they are safe and responsible. Just double check your range if that's where your headed, I don't want to get you in trouble.

Big Daddy Badger
04-10-2012, 09:57 PM

Beat me to it... good un':)

wolfman403
04-12-2012, 10:39 PM
My boys are 7 and 9 and I got them a henry cricket. Single shot manual cock excellent trainer rifle. Started them out on the bench w no bolt in the gun. Proper respect for muzzle direction , where the bullet could go and being aware of their surroundings. Getting a good feel for the gun and sighting down the barrel. Then allowed them to put the bolt in the gun. Showed them how to put safety on and never have finger near the trigger untill ready to shoot. Hearing protection , shooting glasses , now ready for shells. Put shell in close bolt cock action and put safety on. Aquire target using iron sights remove safety and squease trigger. Open bolt remove spent casing and repeat over and over with lots of positive reasurence and guidance. Letting them know that right now hitting a bulls eye is not important and that being safe consistantly is all that matters right now the accuracy will come with time and lots of practice.:sHa_shakeshout:

flamesfan4life
04-13-2012, 05:40 PM

i did lose some pepsi on that one very nice lol!!!:sHa_shakeshout:

357mag
04-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Only rule is SAFETY. Other stuff, such as laws (person in possession of a valid POL/PAL within arms reach), are secondary if you don't follow the first rule of firearms. There is no age requirement for shooting, just common sense. My son, who is 5 (4 foot tall & 60lbs), shoots a smoke pack at 15 yards with the cooey .22 I learned to shoot with when I was a kid if I steady him (still a little long for him to handle by himself).