PDA

View Full Version : New to Fly Fishing.......

ASSASSIN
04-10-2012, 05:08 PM
Just picked up a fly rod for this year and was wondering if anyone could help me out with a couple of things? Im looking to fish on the Bow... wondering where a good spot would be (i live in Calgary but willing to travel) and secondly what would be a good fly to use?

Thank you

kmacisaac
04-10-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm pretty sure the only part of the bow open right now might be South of the weir, but check the regs first, I might be wrong. There's lot's of areas along there, Southland dog park, Hwy 22x, Burnsmead areas. Once you're out on the river you'll start to see where others are fishing and go from there.
Here's a link for a map book I picked up when I started fly fishing last season. It's available at a lot of fly shops and ha a lot of good spots mapped out.
http://fishingmap.bigcartel.com/product/bow-river-map

jts1
04-10-2012, 07:17 PM
I am off fri-tues. You got time to head out, more then happy to get out and show you some tips and locations.

onthefly
04-10-2012, 08:53 PM
As mentioned check the regs for what section of the Bow is currently open... Once everything opens up these is no real bad sections on the bow but city center all the way south of town to Carseland is considered the prime blue ribbon trout stretch. As for what fly to use just look up or google "bow river hatch chart" to find out, it will mention some year round flies and others that are specific to each month.
Lots of info on the bow on this forum so do some research and put some time in on the river... jts1 gave you an very nice offer and could likely teach you in an afternoon what would take you months to figure out on your own.

Have fun!!

Bhflyfisher
04-10-2012, 09:41 PM
I would take JTS up on his offer. It will be the biggest learning curve on the bow you'll ever experience. Getting out with someone who not only knows the flies + rigs, he will also be a good teacher for casting, and probably spotting good holding water.

This is my advice though, I'd start out with a 2 fly nymph rig on a 9 foot leader, with a strike indicator. Being your first time fly fishing, a 3 fly nymph rig is just too much. One fly being a size 6 or 8 san juan worm, the other fly being a prince nymph, or a chironomid. Fish the deeper runs. Make sure you have some split shot between the flies to get them down.

jts1
04-10-2012, 09:47 PM
That's the rig we would use. A couple of nymphs or a worm and nymph, indicator and split shot. Fish some pools and seams. Just get the feel of short casts followed by a quick upstream mend. Or we could hit a pond and try to work the longer casts maybe roll cast as well. Teach you a few knots and such. Offer is open anytime.

ASSASSIN
04-10-2012, 10:07 PM
I really appreciate the advice and the great offer to teach, didn't really expect such an offer, but would be a fool to pass up on free lessons! I will keep in touch when the opportunity arrives that I get the chance to head out. thanks again guys .. much appreciated!