PDA

View Full Version : The worst fishing line u have been stuck using

fluxcore
04-10-2012, 05:35 PM
We all have our favorites when it comes to fishing line, I'm so loyal to maxima I haven't even givin braid a try (yet). What's some garbage u have been stuck with, my worst experience is with omni 8 lb my unckle spooled up my bait caster with and never told me untill we were out in the boat......junk!!

bloopbloob
04-10-2012, 05:37 PM
Berkley Vanish - fluorocarbon that will barely even support its own weight. pure garbage.

TyreeUM
04-10-2012, 05:40 PM
We all have our favorites when it comes to fishing line, I'm so loyal to maxima I haven't even givin braid a try (yet). What's some garbage u have been stuck with, my worst experience is with omni 8 lb my unckle spooled up my bait caster with and never told me untill we were out in the boat......junk!!

I got spooled by a large fish ocean fishing from shore down south and the only place to buy tackle close by was a convenience store. The only line they had was called Cajun. It was red color mono and the absolute worst line I have ever used! It was sold by the 1/4 pound and was like putting plastic strapping on your reel.

buckmasterjr
04-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Gorilla braid, i forget the name, junk junk junk !

upongrassy
04-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Ughhh the cajun is the worst .... lol tis like weed whipper line.

pickrel pat
04-10-2012, 06:08 PM
i hate spiderwire.

Cal
04-10-2012, 06:09 PM
Spider wire, forget the type but it realy sucked. The stuff was actualy so abrasive that it would cut itself while casting. No word of a lie, as far fetched as it sounds I would often send a crankbait sailing off into the wild blue yonder with my favorite baitcaster and go looking for it. I'd find them floating with about 10-20' of spiderwire, free of defects, still tied to the plug with the knot intact.

NUK SOO KOW
04-10-2012, 06:10 PM
X2 on the spider wire!! Swear it scares the fish away!!

TyreeUM
04-10-2012, 06:21 PM
Ughhh the cajun is the worst .... lol tis like weed whipper line.

HAHA I am so glad you had the pleasure of using it as well!

gl2
04-10-2012, 06:27 PM
X3 on the spiderwire.

on a side note i have and have seen some big fish come on vanish. i have also witness it out fish guys with the other stuff 5-1 on the hard water. i use vanish lots and have no complaints.

TyreeUM
04-10-2012, 06:30 PM
X3 on the spiderwire.

on a side note i have and have seen some big fish come on vanish. i have also witness it out fish guys with the other stuff 5-1 on the hard water. i use vanish lots and have no complaints.

Yeah I agree, I handbomb trout in the winter with vanish..landed 6 pound rainbows without any problem fishing like that with vanish.

kujo
04-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Ugly Braid & SpiderWire FluoroBraid Suck

LacLaBicheNS
04-10-2012, 06:47 PM
I have hated every type of berkley line I have ever used since I was a child.

berkley XL- I tried and hated how inconsistently it would snap with my drag. Sometimes it would snap with the drag set lightly, sometimes it wouldnt?? I hung a weight (about 6lbs) off 8lbs XL and sometimes it held, but then you try another section of the spool and it would snap.

Berkley XT- supposed to be tough line.. Nope. Very stiff, thick and cheap.. Compared to other tough mono's from other brands, its junk.

Fireline- worst braid ever. If you think spider wire is bad, you haven't tried fireline. It begins to fray from the first cast. I often had to re-tire 20 times a day fishing for pike WITH a leader. And the worst part, its stupid expensive.

Dewey Cox
04-10-2012, 06:56 PM
I used that red cajun line for a whole summer and most of a winter. I've never been so consistently out fished by everyone around me. Even more than usual.

TyreeUM
04-10-2012, 06:58 PM
I used that red cajun line for a whole summer and most of a winter. I've never been so consistently out fished by everyone around me. Even more than usual.

Yes, yes! WORST LINE EVER!

gl2
04-10-2012, 07:13 PM
i have to say that more times than not, its my knot that fails me....:scared0018:

Albertafisher
04-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Fireline and spiderwire are the worst for braids. And Berkley Vanish for flouro. As for mono, I hate all mono. But the worst is probably Triline XT.

SonnyJ
04-10-2012, 08:24 PM
Royal Bonnyl ...Lots of folks liked it back in the 70's but I always thought it was crap.

huntsfurfish
04-10-2012, 08:29 PM
What the heck are u guys doin, that u have so much trouble with lines? I have had only maybe 2 bad spools(old mono) of line in the last 40 years. I agree with gl2. Most people haveing problems with lines is more than likely one of two things. Poor knots or the line guides on your rods! I have never had a superline that was "no good", and have used most types/brands.

tacklerunner
04-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Another vote for spiderwire for the negative. Fireline as well for some applications. Trilene XT I think is ok. Again depends on what you're using it for.

gl2
04-10-2012, 08:41 PM
i also believe you can put any line on you want but if your reel doesn't have the balls to get the job done smoothly then you can have 1000.00 super duper line on and its not gonna help you. i know a old guy who still swears by back reeling big fish, then the only error you have is human error. most people that i see loose big fish also don't have the drags set right on their reels and are caught with there pants down when the dance starts and it usually doesn't last long... :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Cal
04-10-2012, 09:15 PM
Another vote for spiderwire for the negative. Fireline as well for some applications. Trilene XT I think is ok. Again depends on what you're using it for.

Had good luck with Berkley XT and Big Game here too. But I dissagree with the fellow that thinks that you can use any line, blame human error blah blah, some are absolute crap. The Spider Wire I used was not breaking at the knot or at any other weak point, it simply pulled under itself while fighting fish or snags and then cut itself on the cast. That cheap Red Wolf stuff is another example, it workes good on the first two trips and after that you may as well just throw your hooks into the water if your around any kind of snags. I lost far more lures using 15lb Red Wolf than I do using 10lb Berkly XT, now you cant chock that up to human error.

The Fisherman Guy
04-10-2012, 09:36 PM
Fireline and Spiderwire are just terrible dental floss.

Alberta Bigbore
04-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Id have to say that Red Cajun line was pretty brutal

Champion
04-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Id have to say that Red Cajun line was pretty brutal

I absolutely agree...been outfished many times by Willowtrail sitting 4 feet away using exactly the same bait. It is very frustrating...now that I know its not my tecnique its gone before next hardwater season...:angry3:

DiabeticKripple
04-10-2012, 09:49 PM
ive liked my fireline. my knot came undone the other day and i lost a rap but it was my fault.

ive never liked berkely though

chubbdarter
04-10-2012, 10:13 PM
First to answer the OP's question

Worst line ive ever used, that Blue Lake stuff. Got the pleasure to use it on one of our, You use what i bring for you weekends. The cherrywood trigger stick and omni closed faced top drive filled with 10lb Blue Lake line was a nightmare. In hindsight the whole outfit positively contributed to the horrendous but funny day.

p.s.

Favorite braid=Suffix 832, bouncing, cranking and trolling
Favorite fuse= Fireline original, light tackle jigging, jigging Poggies and jigging spoons
Favorite Mono blend= Suffix ProMix
Favorite Flouro=Vanish and Vanish transistion
Favorite Mono=Dont use anymore
I will try the nano this year for long line slipbobber fishing

pss
alot of spinning reels dont make good superline(fused or braided) candidates. The roller guide is too narrow, this causes unusual wearing on the superlines as they wander looking for the roller groove. Reels that have a flatter roller also wear or bruise superline especially in the smaller diameters.

chubbdarter
04-10-2012, 10:45 PM
Also the Red Cajun line makes the best SJW flies tied on a kahle hook, if you like catching them toothless stinkers

Redneck Renagade
04-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Nothing can be worse then the cheap dollar store stuff my mother in law gets me every year.:angry3: and of course I got to be nice about it

great white whaler
04-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Gorilla braided ,,,,sucks ,,spider wire is also crap . I like Berkleys 8 pd test mono for bows and 20 pd test for pike.

lifesaflyin
04-10-2012, 11:10 PM
rio flouro 5lb and under. pure crap. always snaps at the knots.

TJG
04-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Seemed like a good line till i got it out of the package. The strands can undone in my fingers, had to keep it wet to tie it. Than on the first fish of the day, she broke just before the tip. Took it all off my reel and burned it in my wood burning stove in the ice shack there and then!

Berkley Vanish - fluorocarbon that will barely even support its own weight. pure garbage.

Alot of ppl hate Vanish, but if you put it in a pot of boiling water for a few seconds after you spool up, it takes the coiling out of it and it behaves much better.. Instead of Vanish or Trieline XT, try P Line, much nicer line.

Willowtrail
04-11-2012, 12:15 AM
Favorite fishing line is...

"So do you like fishing?" "No"
"Does your sister like fishing?"

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-11-2012, 12:27 AM
Not a huge fan of

Tuff line Good for anything under 3 oz"s
Trilene xt better then some
Fireline is ok but far from perfect
Spider wire junk
bass pro xps junk Will be going back to 100 % Fluorcarbon
Red wolf Cambodian tire mono = worst line in history

I lover power pro and suffix 832 , Burkley 100% fluorocarbon or vanish And maxima Monofiliment .

pelada trochu
04-11-2012, 12:49 AM
Spider wire, forget the type but it realy sucked. The stuff was actualy so abrasive that it would cut itself while casting. No word of a lie, as far fetched as it sounds I would often send a crankbait sailing off into the wild blue yonder with my favorite baitcaster and go looking for it. I'd find them floating with about 10-20' of spiderwire, free of defects, still tied to the plug with the knot intact.

same thing here, it gets a bit rotten and then you watch your lure go flying.

pelada trochu
04-11-2012, 12:54 AM
Fireline and spiderwire are the worst for braids. And Berkley Vanish for flouro. As for mono, I hate all mono. But the worst is probably Triline XT.

no wonder i hate braid those were the only 2 i tried.

Daceminnow
04-11-2012, 10:02 PM

"pure garbage" is pretty heavy.

i've been using vanish since it's been on the market. leaders only, never tried to spool it onto a reel. fly leaders, spin-cast leader to braid both in summer and winter. i've landed a few decent sized fish over the past few years using vanish, and it's never failed me. maybe a couple poorly popped knots, but that be my error not the lines. maybe you ran into a poor spool.

Dace

TyreeUM
04-11-2012, 10:09 PM
"pure garbage" is pretty heavy.

i've been using vanish since it's been on the market. leaders only, never tried to spool it onto a reel. fly leaders, spin-cast leader to braid both in summer and winter. i've landed a few decent sized fish over the past few years using vanish, and it's never failed me. maybe a couple poorly popped knots, but that be my error not the lines. maybe you ran into a poor spool.

Dace

Couldn't agree more, it is my go to leader material 99% of the time. I must have 20 of those little spools laying around.