PDA

View Full Version : Taking Our Rifles To The States

gunslinger
04-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Just filling out my form 6N1A here for taking guns to the states, on the last line where it states firearms registration certificate number, i wonder whats going to be putting in there now that shes gone, I might try and put N/A for this try .. Anyone else thinking about this

catnthehat
04-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Just filling out my form 6N1A here for taking guns to the states, on the last line where it states firearms registration certificate number, i wonder whats going to be putting in there now that shes gone, I might try and put N/A for this try .. Anyone else thinking about this

"not applicable " sounds about right!:sHa_shakeshout:
Cat

ditch donkey
04-10-2012, 07:57 PM
Anyone else thinking about this

It's crossed my mind. I am nearly ready to book a safari, and want to take my rifle. As I understand it I need three things, SAPS 520 filled out in black ink, an invitation to hunt from my outfitter, and proof of ownership. The only proof I have is the registration that doesn't exist.

Definatly need to research this a little more.

catnthehat
04-10-2012, 08:00 PM
It's crossed my mind. I am nearly ready to book a safari, and want to take my rifle. As I understand it I need three things, SAPS 520 filled out in black ink, an invitation to hunt from my outfitter, and proof of ownership. The only proof I have is the registration that doesn't exist.

Definatly need to research this a little more.

Proof of ownership can be done by almost anybody, notary, lawyer, JP, the cops even.
Cat

ditch donkey
04-10-2012, 08:04 PM
Proof of ownership can be done by almost anybody, notary, lawyer, JP, the cops even.
Cat

Interesting, that is what I will do. Thanks Cat.

Slinger, it sounds like your getting pre approved? Then yeah I would fill it our as n/a, and see what happens. Good luck!

gunslinger
04-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Interesting, that is what I will do. Thanks Cat.

Slinger, it sounds like your getting pre approved? Then yeah I would fill it our as n/a, and see what happens. Good luck!

Yea i bought that 300 wsm browning x bolt that wayne did up for the wild sheep foundation this year at this years wsf banquet. Wouldnt ya know it like 2 days after me and the sportsman den did the registration it got quashed, i really want to start shooting the gun but i dont want my import form not filled out properly. Going to have to go with it unless my registration for that gun comes in soon.

Actually saying that, i registered the gun two days before shutting it off, will i still get a certificaiton

sdeviation
04-10-2012, 08:22 PM
i did a purchase march 22 and just got the cert today ..... who knows though

Bushrat
04-10-2012, 09:11 PM
I bought one April 1st, waiting to see if it got registered, also sold one the same day and I initiated the transfer, Now I can't find out if the transfer was completed, guess it dosen't matter now.

gunslinger
04-10-2012, 09:21 PM
I bought one April 1st, waiting to see if it got registered, also sold one the same day and I initiated the transfer, Now I can't find out if the transfer was completed, guess it dosen't matter now.

Yea and i would have to think that the usa employees are all over the new laws here in canada.

The problem with this stuff is you dont ever want any glitches in this paperwork i have been doign it for 6 years now every year and i get my permit back with in weeks now. If they find one glitch in the paperwork and revoke it then it kind of throws a whack into things.

I got a snow sheep hunt booked for august 16 in kamatchaka and i fly out of anchorage. I might just take the old meat in the pot on this one and try my luck next time. But i sure would like to shoot my first ram with my new gun though....lol

purgatory.sv
04-10-2012, 09:26 PM
did the 270 find a new home?

gopher
04-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Go to Airport customs and get the proof of owner ship thing how’s that for technical term? They used to be green. It is my understanding this is how it will be done

sheephunter
04-11-2012, 09:07 AM
Canada has no form of gun registration so N/A is the appropriate answer. To say it's registered would be a lie.

The Fisherman Guy
04-11-2012, 10:38 AM
Canada has no form of gun registration so N/A is the appropriate answer. To say it's registered would be a lie.

"Like" :sHa_shakeshout:

oddsix
04-11-2012, 11:01 AM
When taking guns out of the country for a hunting trip do you not need an export permit from the Canadian gov?

sheephunter
04-11-2012, 11:09 AM
When taking guns out of the country for a hunting trip do you not need an export permit from the Canadian gov?

Not to the U.S. but anywhere else yes.

echo
04-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Not to the U.S. but anywhere else yes.

i need an export permit from the canadian govt to take rifles to new zealand ?

gunslinger
04-11-2012, 11:28 AM

cant wait to get to the edmonton airport when i get home and go chat with my buddy that inspects my guns at least a couple times a year coming home, He confiscated tehm one time becasue i forgot my regristraion papers at home, even when me and him were looking at them on the computer. lol

He aint going to need to see them anymore.:)

sheephunter
04-11-2012, 11:57 AM
i need an export permit from the canadian govt to take rifles to new zealand ?

A temporary export permit.....yup!

sheephunter
04-11-2012, 11:59 AM
cant wait to get to the edmonton airport when i get home and go chat with my buddy that inspects my guns at least a couple times a year coming home, He confiscated tehm one time becasue i forgot my regristraion papers at home, even when me and him were looking at them on the computer. lol

He aint going to need to see them anymore.:)

LOL. Ya registration was still in effect when we left for Argentina but I'm not offering to show it on the way home!

gopher
04-11-2012, 01:19 PM
LOL. Ya registration was still in effect when we left for Argentina but I'm not offering to show it on the way home!

Please let us know how that goes for you… you will have no proof of owner ship that you did not buy the rifle on your trip what are you going to show them the receipt for a custom made rifle? As I stated before you will still have to declare that the rifle is yours purchased in Canada. Canada customs is going to require that you declare your rifle before leaving the country to the CANADIAN side! Mr slinger I would be calling your buddy ASAP

gunslinger
04-11-2012, 02:44 PM
Please let us know how that goes for you… you will have no proof of owner ship that you did not buy the rifle on your trip what are you going to show them the receipt for a custom made rifle? As I stated before you will still have to declare that the rifle is yours purchased in Canada. Canada customs is going to require that you declare your rifle before leaving the country to the CANADIAN side! Mr slinger I would be calling your buddy ASAP

Why wouldnt i be able to just show him my import permit , my 6N1A FORM, I mean all the information is going to be on this form before i can even take it on the trip to the usa ,, so i just am NOT going to have to give him the actual registration paper .. The only difference is now i am only going to put N/A on the registration # portion. I take it you have done this before also, i do it every year and have for years. What are you going to put on yours.

gopher
04-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Why wouldnt i be able to just show him my import permit , my 6N1A FORM, I mean all the information is going to be on this form before i can even take it on the trip to the usa ,, so i just am NOT going to have to give him the actual registration paper .. The only difference is now i am only going to put N/A on the registration # portion. I take it you have done this before also, i do it every year and have for years. What are you going to put on yours.

Pm incoming

sheephunter
04-11-2012, 05:30 PM
Please let us know how that goes for you… you will have no proof of owner ship that you did not buy the rifle on your trip what are you going to show them the receipt for a custom made rifle?

Possibly you missed the posts above about the temporary export permit? Why would a rifle be any different than my binos, or socks or underwear, etc? I don't carry proof of ownership for them? anyhow, I suspect proof of ownership wouldn't be that hard to prove on a custom rifle built by a Canadian builder. i'm not too worried. My rifle isn't registered and there is no requirement for it to be.

gopher
04-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Possibly you missed the posts above about the temporary export permit? Why would a rifle be any different than my binos, or socks or underwear, etc? I don't carry proof of ownership for them? anyhow, I suspect proof of ownership wouldn't be that hard to prove on a custom rifle built by a Canadian builder. i'm not too worried. My rifle isn't registered and there is no requirement for it to be.

I am sincerely telling you not to wipe your butt with the registration you have right now before returning to Canada.

sheephunter
04-11-2012, 05:54 PM
I'll take my chances. That card proves nothing anyhow. Canada has no gun registry. It did once I understand but the records have been destroyed and it no longer exists so that card has no more legal status than the cute paper they have beside the toilet down here with the puppy prints on it. That card is zero proof of ownership but I did, as legally reqired, temporarily export my rifle. That is a legal document! But I do appreciate your concern......

gopher
04-11-2012, 06:06 PM
I'll take my chances. That card proves nothing anyhow. Canada has no gun registry. It did once I understand but the records have been destroyed and it no longer exists so that card has no more legal status than the cute paper they have beside the toilet down here with the puppy prints on it. That card is zero proof of ownership but I did, as legally reqired, temporarily export my rifle. That is a legal document! But I do appreciate your concern......

Family has recently crossed it did not go well I hope you don’t get a customs lady with her hair in a bun. I fully understand that the paper is scrap good luck.

sheephunter
04-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Family has recently crossed it did not go well I hope you don’t get a customs lady with her hair in a bun. I fully understand that the paper is scrap good luck.

I'm sure there are bound to be some bumps as not all government officials are as aware of changes in the law as they should be but hopefully responsible gun owners can help educate them.

Rackmastr
04-11-2012, 08:10 PM
The onus is not on the importer to show that goods are originally from Canada. You do not need to have a document showing that the rifle is from Canada. A registration certificate means nothing and although it may show that it was in Canada previously, there are several other ways to prove that and the onus is not on the importer to carry documentation for all items in their possession that are Canadian origin.

A person can register items that are going to be exported and re-imported at the border, but that's a form that's meant to help speed up the process and assist if questions are asked. Its not the 'responsibility' of a person to register all goods being exported and re-imported. If a person doesn't have 'proof' that the items are Canadian, they may end up facing a bit of questions or scrutiny, but that's about as far as things can go.

Anyways, that's just my thoughts on it....

ksteed17
04-11-2012, 09:13 PM
The onus is not on the importer to show that goods are originally from Canada. You do not need to have a document showing that the rifle is from Canada. A registration certificate means nothing and although it may show that it was in Canada previously, there are several other ways to prove that and the onus is not on the importer to carry documentation for all items in their possession that are Canadian origin.

A person can register items that are going to be exported and re-imported at the border, but that's a form that's meant to help speed up the process and assist if questions are asked. Its not the 'responsibility' of a person to register all goods being exported and re-imported. If a person doesn't have 'proof' that the items are Canadian, they may end up facing a bit of questions or scrutiny, but that's about as far as things can go.

Anyways, that's just my thoughts on it....

What do you know anyways...;)

ditch donkey
04-11-2012, 09:13 PM
A temporary export permit.....yup!

Where does one get a temporary export permit?

gunslinger
04-11-2012, 09:38 PM
http://www.international.gc.ca/controls-controles/assets/pdfs/forms/documents/EXT1042-2.pdf

http://www.international.gc.ca/controls-controles/assets/pdfs/forms/documents/EXT1042.pdf

http://www.international.gc.ca/controls-controles/assets/pdfs/forms/documents/EXT1042-1.pdf

Fill all three of these forms out ,scan and email them in and you will be good to go, If you need anything else just let me know and i will help you along

ditch donkey
04-12-2012, 05:47 AM
Thanks Pat. I do recall reading that I would need an export permit, but forgot about it. And in all the research I have done, an export permit is rarely mentioned. I imagine more than one hunt has started out with heart ache because of lacking paperwork.

How long are the temp export permits valid? And how far before my hunt should I apply?

gunslinger
04-12-2012, 06:05 AM
Thanks Pat. I do recall reading that I would need an export permit, but forgot about it. And in all the research I have done, an export permit is rarely mentioned. I imagine more than one hunt has started out with heart ache because of lacking paperwork.

How long are the temp export permits valid? And how far before my hunt should I apply?

Where are you going , if your coming or going to russia then you need one but if your just going to the states you wont need one, at least i have never had one for just the states.

sheephunter
04-12-2012, 09:13 AM

They are only good for one trip and I'd say give yourself 4-6 weeks to get one. You need one for your rifle and a second for scope and ammo. Be sure to get it signed upon your return and send it in.

CNP
04-12-2012, 07:21 PM

DOCUMENTATION OF GOODS FOR TEMPORARY EXPORTATION (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-6-5-eng.pdf)

This handy little card is exactly what one should have for proof of ownership for your Leica Geovids, anything of significant value (that has a serial number).......and your rifle..................for the purpose of temporarily exporting your valuable stuff and being able to prove you owned it prior to leaving the country. It costs nothing, you can get a new one anytime and it doesn't appear on any database. It does not serve as an export permit.........it only provides proof of ownership to CBSA upon re-entering Canada.

gunslinger
04-12-2012, 07:57 PM
DOCUMENTATION OF GOODS FOR TEMPORARY EXPORTATION (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-6-5-eng.pdf)

This handy little card is exactly what one should have for proof of ownership for your Leica Geovids, anything of significant value (that has a serial number).......and your rifle..................for the purpose of temporarily exporting your valuable stuff and being able to prove you owned it prior to leaving the country. It costs nothing, you can get a new one anytime and it doesn't appear on any database. It does not serve as an export permit.........it only provides proof of ownership to CBSA upon re-entering Canada.

Jees very interesting and i thank you for the link, Nor have i ever even heard of this i have never filled one out on any hunting trip i have ever been on. I wouldnt even know if my swarovski has a serial number or not. Guess i better start looking. Learn something new every day.

Come to think of it i have never been asked for this or anything before, i wonder what would of happened if they would of checked and accused me of bringing it back from a trip.

I guess the reason maybe they never check is becasue this form is totally optional, i dont know.Better to be safe than sorry

gunslinger
04-16-2012, 09:40 AM
Just got off the phone with atf in the states and they are fully aware of the regrstration being abolished and she told me my application looks perfect with the letters N/A on the registration part.

munyee4321
04-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Just got off the phone with atf in the states and they are fully aware of the regrstration being abolished and she told me my application looks perfect with the letters N/A on the registration part.

Thanx for the update GS, just what I wanted to hear. Got a hunt in Wyoming in oct so I guess I better get my forms in.

sheephunter
04-19-2012, 06:28 AM

It went smooth as silk! No request to see an old registration certificate was made nor was an offer made to show it. Seeing as Canada has no non restricted registry, I expected no different.

gopher
04-19-2012, 07:59 AM
It went smooth as silk! No request to see an old registration certificate was made nor was an offer made to show it. Seeing as Canada has no non restricted registry, I expected no different.

Good stuff!!:)