PDA

View Full Version : Nice rainbow for new fisherman

Andrew
04-11-2012, 02:25 AM
decided to head down to the bow today, and bring my buddy along who had never fished before. we arrive and i set up his line, show him how to cast with a spinning reel and cast out his line for him as a demo. i handed him over the rod and started to walk away to set up my own line when he tells me he has one. i turn around preparing to explain to him how hes snagged on the river bottom but sure enough he hooked up with a nice rainbow! we got the fish to shore and both of us were ecstatic. i think i just mightve created a new fishing partner for myself this spring!

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r519/AndrewSgaggi/IMG_0107.jpg

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r519/AndrewSgaggi/IMG_0109.jpg

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r519/AndrewSgaggi/IMG_0108.jpg

slivers86
04-11-2012, 02:59 AM
Well done guys :)

waterninja
04-11-2012, 03:34 AM
stories and pics like this is why i love this site. I bet you were more surprised then he was being you know how difficult it can be to land a beauty like that.

damaltor
04-11-2012, 08:36 AM
Very nice fish, but...
Sorry, but I've got to say, very poor fish handling!

Champion
04-11-2012, 08:51 AM
Beauty fish!!

pipercub17
04-11-2012, 09:34 AM
Did you keep it
Drives me when I see pIcs of a fish laying in the grass

damaltor
04-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Did you keep it
Drives me when I see pIcs of a fish laying in the grass

Looks to me to be too big to keep... over 35cm.

Okotokian
04-11-2012, 09:59 AM
If I caught that fish I'd be smiling more than your buddy! maybe he's cold. Tell him to dress warmer and enjoy! ;) LOL Congratulations.

silverdoctor
04-11-2012, 10:51 AM
That is a beauty bow.

Please respect the fish a little more, laying them on the grass isn't a good catch and release practice.

NUK SOO KOW
04-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Invest in a net, land the fish as quick as possible and try not to remove them from the water. (unless for a very quick pic or you are keeping them). I see tons of new fisherman dragging fish up onto shore over rocks and crap then just tossing the back 5-10 feet into the water. Very poor handling skills. Congrats on the fish nice bow!!

Andrew
04-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Look guys, the fish was treated with the utmost respect. The fish was taken out of the water for a few quick pictures, and promptly released without a hitch for someone to enjoy another day. I understand your concern with so many unethical fisherman on our waters.

Okotokian, I don't think he understood how nice his catch was! I had to explain to him that he had just caught a nicer rainbow then I ever had in my whole life of fishing the bow.

marlin1
04-11-2012, 01:48 PM
nice rainbow , don't worry too much about the police here , they just care about the fish a lot :)

Andrew
04-11-2012, 06:58 PM
I care alot too, i think i did a good job by keeping it out of the water for as little time as possible and releasing it gently. i didnt slap the fish around on the rocks, toss it into the water or squeeze it. i just quickly laid it on the grass to remove the hook and take a picture.

damaltor
04-11-2012, 07:16 PM
I care alot too, i think i did a good job by keeping it out of the water for as little time as possible and releasing it gently. i didnt slap the fish around on the rocks, toss it into the water or squeeze it. i just quickly laid it on the grass to remove the hook and take a picture.

Andrew,
Laying the fish on the grass is very harmful to the fish, among other things, it removes the slime which protects the fish from harmful bacteria. When holding the fish, this also removes slime, always remember to wet your hands before picking them up and handle as little as possible.

Andrew
04-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Andrew,
Laying the fish on the grass is very harmful to the fish, among other things, it removes the slime which protects the fish from harmful bacteria. When holding the fish, this also removes slime, always remember to wet your hands before picking them up and handle as little as possible.

I didnt know the slime protected them from bacteria, before i head out again ill pick myself up a small landing net and refrain from laying them on the grass.

Thanks for the information, im always willing to embrace new ideas that will help increase the survival rate of the fish i catch. Conservation first :)

silverdoctor
04-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the information, im always willing to embrace new ideas that will help increase the survival rate of the fish i catch. Conservation first :)

Awesome to hear Andrew.

pikergolf
04-11-2012, 08:40 PM
:)

CF8
04-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Advice given and taken correctly on this forum for once! Good job damaltor and Andrew! There is hope for all of us....

damaltor
04-11-2012, 11:35 PM
I didnt know the slime protected them from bacteria, before i head out again ill pick myself up a small landing net and refrain from laying them on the grass.

Good on you Andrew, the fish will thank you and be there to catch again.

HunterDave
04-12-2012, 01:50 AM
Great Fish Andrew.....may you guys catch many more! Lots of good advice about handling fish on here but leaving the camera at home would make life easier for you. Hook out of fish, back in the water.......end of story. Besides, it's a ton of fun arguing over the size of the trout when there's no pictures. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Dust1n
04-12-2012, 01:55 AM
Nice looking bow! You know what they say about big heads :sHa_shakeshout:

NUK SOO KOW
04-12-2012, 04:15 AM
Good stuff Andrew, wish you guys the best of luck out there!

mrfidd
04-13-2012, 01:30 AM
I love it how everyone tells everyone else how to handle fish without being there to see the circumstances if it was under 35 lay it where you want it's your fish and I saw where he said he did a good job releasing it unless I am right there seeing someone be a jerk about things I don't jump the gun I think every conservation officer in and around the Calgary area does a well enough job of this

TyreeUM
04-13-2012, 05:12 AM
I love it how everyone tells everyone else how to handle fish without being there to see the circumstances if it was under 35 lay it where you want it's your fish and I saw where he said he did a good job releasing it unless I am right there seeing someone be a jerk about things I don't jump the gun I think every conservation officer in and around the Calgary area does a well enough job of this

I bet you could write a book that was all one sentence.

FishingFrenzy
04-13-2012, 08:14 AM

Dont start flaming a perfectly good thread.

The guy is new to the sport, he got some advice on better release technique, he obviously embraced the advice...everyone wins.

Awesome trout guys! Wish we had some beauties like that closer to home.

tommyguitar
04-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Great looking rainbow.

LeroyvdH
04-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Good fish