PDA

View Full Version : need help on the bow

lockend
04-11-2012, 04:40 PM
i am going out on the bow in about an hour, i have been out there 6 times this year and got skunked every time i would love some advise. i spin cast. i have tryed some panthers and rapala brook and rainbow. what would you suggest i try? thanks in advance.
cody

jts1
04-11-2012, 04:54 PM
You can still toss nymphs even with a spinner. Same set up just without the flyrod.

RayL42
04-11-2012, 05:07 PM
I have had good luck with a blue and silver husky jerk casting no more then a 45 degree angle from shore and retrieving it as slow as possible (the same speed as the current).

I fished the bow a lot more then 6 times before I was successful but as soon as I caught my first my luck has improved.

Good luck.

NUK SOO KOW
04-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Cast upstream and reel in downstream. The fish will almost always be facing upstream waiting for food to come down

ZodiacClassic
04-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Rapala CD7 brown or rainbow style, find water that's 3' deep or more as these lures dive and are very expensive. For lower budget try any type of bead head nymphs (weighted flies) such as prince, hares ear, royal coachman etc. You may have to attach additional weight (lead split shots that will carry with the current) 16-24" above the nymphs to be able to cast it with your rod. Cast just like NUK SOO KOW's and RayL42's casting tips. Good luck!

NUK SOO KOW
04-11-2012, 10:08 PM
I have been having tremendous luck on small black stimulators as well, when they are rising.

Daceminnow
04-11-2012, 10:23 PM
You can still toss nymphs even with a spinner. Same set up just without the flyrod.

i've set my daughters up a couple times this year with small flys under these bobbers spin-casting. the tops screw off allowing you to add water for weight which will help you toss the flys out. they work well. i've used them nymphing on fly gear as well adding no water. for a smaller bobber they hold up a lot of weight.

Dace

http://www.sierradrifters.com/images/Under-Cators%20031.jpg

fish gunner
04-11-2012, 11:36 PM
part of the key to the bow is finding fish holding water. lots of times I see novice anglers storm up to the water start fan casting for all there worth. the nice fish they came for was sitting not 5' in front of them. however they spooked it with their approach slow down a little sit for ten -twenty pick a part the water 80% of the fish are in 20% of the water. who knows a fish or two may even show them selves giving you an insight for areas to look for in each strech of river. get your self up to the cliffs a mackinnon flats. if you can get to the main current out from the cliffs theres a nice spot. should produce a fish.