PDA

View Full Version : boat insurance?

waterninja
04-12-2012, 03:01 AM
was talking to a buddy in the ins. bus. and he said the alta govt. was going to make it mantatory that all watercraft had to be insured. I always thought that your home or auto ins. covered your boat, canoe etc. sounds like another cash grab. anyone have more info?

ViperV7
04-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Your home and auto insurance might cover it when your pulling it or if it's sitting in your drive way. And if its worth under X amount of dollars.

I have mine insurance through Aviva Marine. $280 buck a year full coverage.

Dark Horn
04-12-2012, 07:10 AM
Mine have had there own insurance. Had two options too market value or full replacement cost. Not sure about house and home covering them though. Like one said maybe if it was being towed or was parked in your garage. I think cost might be dependent on hp/length and value. I believe mine is somewhere around 800/year

Teamprotz
04-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Are we talking accident/replacement insurance or liability insurance ? I could see manditory liability insurance.

JohninAB
04-12-2012, 08:21 AM
My boat is insured under my home policy. Covers it at home or on the lake. Vehicle insurance covers it when towing.

Smokercraft
04-12-2012, 08:58 AM
I have seperate insurance for the boat, through my home insurance. Think its about $380 a year.

Comes in handy too as I found out after damn near ripping the motor off the back of my old rig at Rock Island Lake. The lake sure lived up to it's name that day...

JohninAB
04-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Found one of the reefs did you at Rock Island? Man have to be careful out there, especially if the water is high enough to conceal them. One minute lots of water, next minute, not so much. Been there done that but fortunately I was trolling.

Dark Horn
04-12-2012, 07:19 PM
So i got home and looked and mine is part of my homeowners policy. I had to add it though and it looks like it is 518/year. My travel trailer and wifes wedding ring are also part of that policy too so just because you have homeowners wont necessarily mean your boat would be automatically covered.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-12-2012, 10:28 PM
I just delt with that as I dont have a house policy , nore could I get it added to , so I had to shop around Intact Insurance has separate policy's that you are able to make monthly payments , I dont know about you but I couldn't afford to put 500 or 600 dollars at one time .

Drayden Insurance is the ones who deals with Intact , great company to deal with as far as im concerned .

I think Im paying 550 bucks a year thats boat insurance and 4 million liability . I wanted the extra Liability ..

Alberta Bigbore
04-12-2012, 11:18 PM
I just delt with that as I dont have a house policy , nore could I get it added to , so I had to shop around Intact Insurance has separate policy's that you are able to make monthly payments , I dont know about you but I couldn't afford to put 500 or 600 dollars at one time .

Drayden Insurance is the ones who deals with Intact , great company to deal with as far as im concerned .

I think Im paying 550 bucks a year thats boat insurance and 4 million liability . I wanted the extra Liability ..

we want you to have that extra Liability..... especially for its maiden voyage !!!

LOL jks bud, dont cut no one, im serious.:)

catnthehat
04-12-2012, 11:20 PM

pelada trochu
04-12-2012, 11:31 PM
think mine was aviva also, seems about 360 or so for my 24000 of coverage and liability. my house insurance sent me to them. so i know my house doesnt cover it.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-12-2012, 11:31 PM
we want you to have that extra Liability..... especially for its maiden voyage !!!

LOL jks bud, dont cut no one, im serious.:)
Im headed down south SOUTH SOUTH SOUTH , For some Walleye action with my Prostaff crew .

I pay $480 of my jet boat, full coverage with the same amount of pulblic liability.
Cat

I realise there were far better deals , for one it was damn hard to find a company that would take me as I dont have my own house ,2ndly I wanted to be able to pay monthly as I didnt have 550 dollars sitting around to put down and pay at once , only to find out I got a 1400 tax return . But that will be gone by the end of the weekend , headed fishing 9 hrs south .