PDA

View Full Version : Ze whiteys have hijacked my hole

silverdoctor
04-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Are the whitefish taking over on the bow? Got to one of my favorite spots today, whiteys are breeching. Frig it, i'm going nymphing.

White after white, scrap after scrap - I can't believe how they're fighting this time of year. then rain, said frig it and left.

chubbdarter
04-12-2012, 06:14 PM
yup seems to be some big schools of the toothless snot suckers this year. One other out of character thing, there is some big schools of juvi RBT in the city limits. 2 at a time is pretty common in some runs that last year produced big fish.

Gone to a 3 inch streamer to remedy the problem

silverdoctor
04-12-2012, 06:49 PM
yup seems to be some big schools of the toothless snot suckers this year. One other out of character thing, there is some big schools of juvi RBT in the city limits. 2 at a time is pretty common in some runs that last year produced big fish.

Gone to a 3 inch streamer to remedy the problem

Glad i'm not the only one that's noticing... streamers sound like a plan for a while.

chubbdarter
04-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Glad i'm not the only one that's noticing... streamers sound like a plan for a while.

stop by the house, give you some i tie that have been really good.

kissarmygeneral
04-12-2012, 07:33 PM
I'v caught nothing but RMW on nymphs lately. I pulled 5 BIG suckers in 5 casts out of this deep hole around Southland. My buddy and I pulled in a bunch of trout on big Golden Stoneflies a few days ago. Mustn't be appetizing to those stinky whitefish yet.

silverdoctor
04-13-2012, 11:21 AM
stop by the house, give you some i tie that have been really good.

Might just take you up on that Chubb... how big are they for a 5 wt?

hanayalator
04-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Hey guys,
Is there any specific area of the Bow that you're catching the whitey's at? I want to try to catch some, but I haven't had any luck yet.

rem338win
04-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Hey guys,
Is there any specific area of the Bow that you're catching the whitey's at? I want to try to catch some, but I haven't had any luck yet.

Sure, start around Canmore and if you hit Bassano, you went too far. They should be everywhere there is slow water this time of year.

silverdoctor
04-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Hey guys,

they are everywhere, not just in slow water. They are hanging heavy in faster waters too, doesn't matter. Red wire worms on a nymph rig seem to be the fly of choice. Hang 2 or 3 in different sizes beneath your indicator if you really want whites.

BeeGuy
04-13-2012, 04:32 PM
they are everywhere, not just in slow water. They are hanging heavy in faster waters too, doesn't matter. Red wire worms on a nymph rig seem to be the fly of choice. Hang 2 or 3 in different sizes beneath your indicator if you really want whites.

Have you seen any over 18"? or 1.5lbs?

Btw, that rig you describe sounds like it would be a good addition to HT's rig thread.

silverdoctor
04-13-2012, 07:24 PM

Btw, that rig you describe sounds like it would be a good addition to HT's rig thread.

I've never measured them in the net to be honest, but I wouldn't think 18". Probably not far off tho - fat? maybe 1.5 pounds. They are fighting hard tho.

bullbuddy
04-13-2012, 09:01 PM

The biggest white I have ever got was 21 inches

Daceminnow
04-13-2012, 09:47 PM
silver don't ignore the faster skinnier water. leave the slower deep for now and as suggested throw some reamers that those toothless fish can't suck on. make some changes and specifically target what you want to catch.

Dace

Daceminnow
04-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Have you seen any over 18"?

lots through the glenmore south stretch. not a pleasant surprise when you think you've tied into a real fish then you see the scaly flash.

Dace

chubbdarter
04-13-2012, 09:58 PM
lots through the glenmore south stretch. not a pleasant surprise when you think you've tied into a real fish then you see the scaly flash.

Dace

hahhahahahahha.....god put them here for kids, be nice Dace.

Then again a brand new pair of x2 joseph waders need to be burned, can a fish stink worst?

silverdoctor
04-13-2012, 10:01 PM
silver don't ignore the faster skinnier water. leave the slower deep for now and as suggested throw some reamers that those toothless fish can't suck on. make some changes and specifically target what you want to catch.

Dace

That's where i've been the last couple of days. One run out by southland is crawling with whiteys, but was at the 22X today. Lots of hit and run, few LDR's and one badly tangled up 20" bow to the net.

Prefer the faster, shallow waters. The river is up some today, nice to see some water at the banks where it was dry before. Clarity isn't the greatest after that bit of moisture.

Shouldn't have put hole in the title I guess, they are runs I guess.

silverdoctor
04-13-2012, 10:07 PM

Dace

It's even more of a surprise when you foul hook the buggers through the tail :sHa_shakeshout:

Jasonp
04-13-2012, 10:07 PM
That's where i've been the last couple of days. One run out by southland is crawling with whiteys, but was at the 22X today. Lots of hit and run, few LDR's and one badly tangled up 20" bow to the net.

Prefer the faster, shallow waters. The river is up some today, nice to see some water at the banks where it was dry before. Clarity isn't the greatest after that bit of moisture.

Any chance its gonna drop tomorrow? i am heading out to the Bow again tomorrow. If the waters high whats the trick? I think we are going to policeman flats and/or the highway bridge walking downstream

silverdoctor
04-13-2012, 10:11 PM
Any chance its gonna drop tomorrow? i am heading out to the Bow again tomorrow. If the waters high whats the trick? I think we are going to policeman flats and/or the highway bridge walking downstream

Might be down a bit, just keep doing what you're doing. The levels aren't that much higher, it's up some but nothing serious.

kissarmygeneral
04-14-2012, 12:56 AM
I live on the elbow , just east of highway 22. I'v caught bigger whiteys in the Elbow than anywhere. Royal blue princes and wire worms will catch you whiteys in the 20 inch bracket. Makes for some fun.