PDA

View Full Version : How to get a rifle from Ont to AB

MSH
04-12-2012, 05:46 PM
Heading out east to visit family and my grandpa has a 22 he wants to give me. What is the best way to get it back to AB as I am flying.

Canada post
DHL
Greyhound????

Rackmastr
04-12-2012, 05:47 PM
Canada Post is the easiest in everything I've ever done....

sheephunter
04-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Canada Post. Greyhound won't ship firearms and DHL is likely quite expensive. If you are flying West Jet it may be cheaper to take it with you on the plane...Air Canada definitely not!

MSH
04-12-2012, 05:51 PM
I am flying westjet. Will they transport firearms?

Buy a case when Im out east from walmart and make sure its locked or?

sheephunter
04-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Absolutely they will...give them a call for requirements but I've flown rifles with them lots of times.

catnthehat
04-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Ship it to yourself, take the action out of the stock, wrap it well , and stick it in a box - done like dinner!
Cat

SHORTMAG
04-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Ship it to yourself, take the action out of the stock, wrap it well , and stick it in a box - done like dinner!
Cat

X2... Cat's got it figured out..:happy0034:!

insurgus
04-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Cat

That's how I ship mine.

CNP
04-12-2012, 08:10 PM
I am flying westjet. Will they transport firearms?

Buy a case when Im out east from walmart and make sure its locked or?

Firearms on WestJet (http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/travel/basics/baggage/hunting-equipment.shtml#gun)

Click on the link for WetJet requirements.

Big Racks
04-13-2012, 01:43 AM
Why ship at your expense? You're looking at between $30 and $50 depending on the amount of insurance you purchase. You can always use an extra hard case, so buy one of those and lock her up tight. Voila, sporting goods on Westjet, doesn't even count as a checked bag. Did this a few times over the years. Have had to open it up twice for a quick visual inspection (hands-off), basically just to ensure proper storage and no ammo.

catnthehat
04-13-2012, 06:36 AM
Why ship at your expense? You're looking at between $30 and $50 depending on the amount of insurance you purchase. You can always use an extra hard case, so buy one of those and lock her up tight. Voila, sporting goods on Westjet, doesn't even count as a checked bag. Did this a few times over the years. Have had to open it up twice for a quick visual inspection (hands-off), basically just to ensure proper storage and no ammo.

The last time a friend foew he had to pay extra fot eh weight and we are onky allowed so much luggage now , anyway.
I think it works out about even.
Cat

sunsetrider2011
04-13-2012, 06:57 AM
Ship canada post , Priority post even at most for the weight of it,,it will cost you tops 50 bucks,, wrap it well box it ,, and send it. Simple as that

Big Racks
04-13-2012, 07:54 AM
The last time a friend foew he had to pay extra fot eh weight and we are onky allowed so much luggage now , anyway.
I think it works out about even.
Cat

I guess they've tightened their pursestrings since the last time I flew with firearms. That was probably around 8 years ago and they just treated it like a piece of sporting goods (golf clubs, skis, etc...) and it went for free. Cheap buggers.

sheephunter
04-13-2012, 08:04 AM
I guess they've tightened their pursestrings since the last time I flew with firearms. That was probably around 8 years ago and they just treated it like a piece of sporting goods (golf clubs, skis, etc...) and it went for free. Cheap buggers.

Last time I flew West Jet with a riflle is was classified as a second piece of luggage....I think it was $20. Seriously, give them a call and find out. They are very gun friendly....Air Canada not so much. There's no hassle flying with guns.

209x50
04-13-2012, 10:10 AM
For sure I'd fly the gun with me. West Jet has always been low hassle, cheap and dependable.

rem338win
04-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Last time I flew West Jet with a riflle is was classified as a second piece of luggage....I think it was $20. Seriously, give them a call and find out. They are very gun friendly....Air Canada not so much. There's no hassle flying with guns.

For sure I'd fly the gun with me. West Jet has always been low hassle, cheap and dependable.

I have had the same experience (likely with much less volume). It needs to be an "airline approved" case though, and the cheapest one I have found is 75 bones.

huntinstuff
04-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Sling it over yer shoulder and go to the airport ya wuss.....

Big Racks
04-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Sling it over yer shoulder and go to the airport ya wuss.....

Lol - when you get stopped, just tell them Randy said it was okay :sHa_sarcasticlol:.

I'm heading in to work tonight, so make sure you tell me when you're coming so I can come prepared. I've got a pretty dang good vantage point so I'll make sure I bring cameras. This I gotta see...

MSH
04-13-2012, 02:44 PM
I have had the same experience (likely with much less volume). It needs to be an "airline approved" case though, and the cheapest one I have found is 75 bones.

This got me thinking so I called west jet. Has to be a black plastic case with only one lock. I can get that at walmart for 14 bucks. Trigger lock and no ammo. And my PAL has to be present.

Because I will have my suitcase it will cost me $20.00 as my second peice.

Way cheaper than Canada post!

4thredneck
04-13-2012, 04:14 PM
This got me thinking so I called west jet. Has to be a black plastic case with only one lock. I can get that at walmart for 14 bucks. Trigger lock and no ammo. And my PAL has to be present.

Canada post would be 29 dollars.

Big Racks
04-13-2012, 04:35 PM
Canada post would be 29 dollars.

Maybe 10 years ago. No way it's costing $29 insured ONT to AB now. Figure a box approx. 50" x 10" x 4", you're looking low-$30's BEFORE any insurance is added.

catnthehat
04-13-2012, 04:44 PM
If I am not going home right away i would ship it, otherwise, the plane would do.
Cat

mrfidd
04-13-2012, 07:38 PM
i flew west jet on a hunt to sask a few years ago west jet rules were no ammo on the plane gun needed to be locked in a hard case and declared when i checked in

mrfidd
04-13-2012, 07:42 PM

i flew 4 years ago color did not matter at that time i bought the wallmart case had 4 positions that it could be locked and i had four padlocks on it they did not ask for a p.a.l or a f.a.c and when i arrived in saskatoon my gun was fine no problems what so ever did not need a trigger lock either so i guess these rules came into effect since i flew and there was no extra fee also no ammo aboard the plane

Big Racks
04-13-2012, 07:50 PM
i flew west jet on a hunt to sask a few years ago west jet rules were no ammo on the plane gun needed to be locked in a hard case and declared when i checked in

Ammo is indeed allowed on the plane, just not carry-on. When I flew last with a firearm, 8 yrs ago or so, it was allowed. Seems to be the same now. Actually it looks like the ammo CAN be stored with the firearm, but it's a bit confusing (Securely packaged and packed separately from the firearm, however it is permitted to be transported within the same container). Here's an excerpt from their site:

Firearms acceptance criteria

Firearms are permitted ONLY in checked baggage, and ONLY if the firearm is:
Unloaded (declaration must be signed)
Packaged in a locked, heavy-duty container or hard-sided (opaque) gun case
Locked with a trigger lock
WestJet will accept the following types of firearms:
Shotguns
Handguns
BB guns
Starter pistols
Rifles
Air pistols
Paintball guns (Please note: carbon dioxide cartridges/tanks for paintball guns will only be accepted if empty, with the valve secured in the open position. Please see restricted items for more details.)
Ammunition must be:
Securely packaged and packed separately from the firearm, however it is permitted to be transported within the same container.
Carried in sturdy baggage not weighing more than 5 kg (11 lb.) gross weight per person (excluding ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles)
Packaged in the manufacturer's original container or an equivalent sturdy, durable container that provides sufficient cartridge separation

mrfidd
04-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Ammo is indeed allowed on the plane, just not carry-on. When I flew last with a firearm, 8 yrs ago or so, it was allowed. Seems to be the same now. Actually it looks like the ammo CAN be stored with the firearm, but it's a bit confusing (Securely packaged and packed separately from the firearm, however it is permitted to be transported within the same container). Here's an excerpt from their site:

Firearms acceptance criteria

Firearms are permitted ONLY in checked baggage, and ONLY if the firearm is:
Unloaded (declaration must be signed)
Packaged in a locked, heavy-duty container or hard-sided (opaque) gun case
Locked with a trigger lock
WestJet will accept the following types of firearms:
Shotguns
Handguns
BB guns
Starter pistols
Rifles
Air pistols
Paintball guns (Please note: carbon dioxide cartridges/tanks for paintball guns will only be accepted if empty, with the valve secured in the open position. Please see restricted items for more details.)
Ammunition must be:
Securely packaged and packed separately from the firearm, however it is permitted to be transported within the same container.
Carried in sturdy baggage not weighing more than 5 kg (11 lb.) gross weight per person (excluding ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles)
Packaged in the manufacturer's original container or an equivalent sturdy, durable container that provides sufficient cartridge separation

yes i just read the rules and saw that well i also did not see where it said you need a valid f.a.c or p.a.l. did i miss it somewhere if i did could you point that out as well im sure everyone needs to see that also i did not see where the case has to be black someone had mentioned that earlier but i may have missed that as well thanks mrfidd

Ole_Plinker
04-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Ok brace yourself. Think about this. Postal workers are die hard left wing, card carrying unionist. They support gun control,legalization of maijuanna (google cupw constitution) and will fight to save the jobs of criminally convicted members. (ie murder) If they don't steal your gun they will severely damage it. If you got one through you were lucky or they were on an extended break! Use west jet as a sporting item,simple. Sorry if I'm ranting but after 26 years with canadapost I would not trust them with my garbage. I've been out for more than 10 years and they still get my goat.

Your choice.

Ormachek
04-13-2012, 10:13 PM
If they don't steal your gun they will severely damage it. If you got one through you were lucky or they were on an extended break!

The dozens of guns I've sent or recieved through canada post over the last 5 years tells me you're wrong.

On another note, It's never cost me more than $30 to ship a rifle anywhere in canada, typically much less if you remove the action from the stock so it fits in a smaller box.

catnthehat
04-14-2012, 01:14 AM
Ok brace yourself. Think about this. Postal workers are die hard left wing, card carrying unionist. They support gun control,legalization of maijuanna (google cupw constitution) and will fight to save the jobs of criminally convicted members. (ie murder) If they don't steal your gun they will severely damage it. If you got one through you were lucky or they were on an extended break! Use west jet as a sporting item,simple. Sorry if I'm ranting but after 26 years with canadapost I would not trust them with my garbage. I've been out for more than 10 years and they still get my goat.

Your choice.
I have shipped HUNDREDS of rifles , shotguns, and pistols through the Postal system with absolutely no problems.
Cat

sheephunter
04-14-2012, 03:09 AM
5kgs of Ammo are allowed in your luggage

No one asks to see your PAL

Gun case can be pink if you like. Yes it must be a hard sided, airline approved case.

I've shipped loads with Canada Post too. Both work well and I wouldn't hesitate to fly with a rifle or ship a gun Canada Post. I'd pick the one that was the cheapest and most convenient in the OP's case. Both options are very simple.

4thredneck
04-14-2012, 07:45 AM
Maybe 10 years ago. No way it's costing $29 insured ONT to AB now. Figure a box approx. 50" x 10" x 4", you're looking low-$30's BEFORE any insurance is added.

Doesn't matter if you ship it from Edmonton to Leduc or Edmonton to Toronto the cost is the same. I just shipped one to Neepawa and it was 29 and change, never insured any guns that I've shipped with Canada Post.

MSH
04-14-2012, 02:05 PM
On the website it didn't say anything about the PAL but when I spoke with the westjet rep on the phone he said they will ask to see your PAL and it must be present when you declare the weapon.

CNP
04-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Doesn't matter if you ship it from Edmonton to Leduc or Edmonton to Toronto the cost is the same. I just shipped one to Neepawa and it was 29 and change, never insured any guns that I've shipped with Canada Post.

Not eaxctly.....$29 and change to Leduc. $33 and change to Toronto.

sheephunter
04-14-2012, 05:19 PM
On the website it didn't say anything about the PAL but when I spoke with the westjet rep on the phone he said they will ask to see your PAL and it must be present when you declare the weapon.

I've never been asked in dozens of times flying with guns but the law requires you have it so no biggie I guess.