PDA

View Full Version : What is required when selling a gun?

tofield
04-12-2012, 10:35 PM
I am sure there is a tread out there laying all this out but I cant find it (I am sure some days I am blind)

When I sell a gun I obviously need to see the other persons PAL....do I need to write down and keep all the information on his PAL, or is just the fact that he has one good enough? Is there anything else I need like a bill of sale like a car??

Lefty-Canuck
04-12-2012, 11:07 PM
In short...you view his PAL see if it looks like him and is valid (not expired) and make the deal....if you are "extra" diligent you could take the number and call the CFC to confirm...but the key word is "due diligence" if you can prove you did that then you are good.

I would not be keeping records or collecting them myself...

LC

Comstar
04-12-2012, 11:14 PM
Just a side question, no documents would need to be kept now since registry is gone right? A bill of sale to say it's yours.

Making sure the person had an up to date pal is a must but if you didnt check could you get fined somehow?

catnthehat
04-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Just a side question, no documents would need to be kept now since registry is gone right? A bill of sale to say it's yours.

Making sure the person had an up to date pal is a must but if you didn't check could you get fined somehow?
You are in possession of the gun, so in reality it IS yours.

The only reason I keep any documents at all are for my insured guns, and that is done with pictures and signed letters of appraisal, not registrations.
Cat

Lefty-Canuck
04-12-2012, 11:17 PM

Making sure the person had an up to date pal is a must but if you didnt check could you get fined somehow?

I think the onus shifts to the person in possession of the firearm illegally (invalid or expired PAL)....but if you called the CFC to confirm it was valid or looked at the card and took note of the expiry that would show "due diligence".

LC

tofield
04-13-2012, 03:38 PM
So lets take this 1 step further, how are you supposed to verify their PAL if you mail them that firearm and they email transfer you the money???

catnthehat
04-13-2012, 04:27 PM
So lets take this 1 step further, how are you supposed to verify their PAL if you mail them that firearm and they email transfer you the money???

You can ask for a PAL scanned to your email, a FAX, or the number.
Cat

Lefty-Canuck
04-13-2012, 05:00 PM

Ask for the number....and full name/address of the person and call it into the CFC....EASY AS PIE :)

LC

Woodbeef
04-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Ask for the number....and full name/address of the person and call it into the CFC....EASY AS PIE :)

LC

You also now need their birthdate to check for a valid PAL.