PDA

View Full Version : Boat Registration

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-13-2012, 12:10 AM
Hey Folks , as you may know bought a new boat , and they sent the paper work away for me to get the Registration and I still have not heard nothing back and headed out fishing with some of my Prostaff fellas this weekend for 3 days . Wondering what do I provide if asked who does this boat belong to , Ive got the trailer registration , Should I toss a Copy of the bill of sale in glovebox until I get the Registration in the mail .

Would like to know to prevent any unwanted situations .

jts1
04-13-2012, 12:17 AM
Shall we all bring some bail money this weekend to get you out. Lol

horsetrader
04-13-2012, 12:18 AM
Bill of sale should have ser.# on it should be good as gold

Redfrog
04-13-2012, 12:29 AM
Just show a link to the thread on here about your boat. You know the one with you and your sh it eatin' grin.:sHa_shakeshout:

04-13-2012, 12:31 AM
Just show a link to the thread on here about your boat. You know the one with you and your sh it eatin' grin.:sHa_shakeshout:

LOL Nah I dont think they will care .

Thats what I figured Horsetraider . Ill photo copy it , Also got my info from insurance company to . Never had to do this part of the stuff with a boat .

AHHHHHH I CAN SMELL THE WALLEYES NOW .

You bet JEFF ,

JohninAB
04-13-2012, 01:27 AM
May want to call someone on it. RCMP or the ilk. No registration numbers on a boat is a ticketable offense I believe. My boat dealer had the numbers on when I picked my last boat up. One before that did not, got a warning ticket as no numbers on boat.

The new process of having to mail the stuff out east is a joke. Was so convenient and fast before to just go to a Service Canada center and be done with it.

jts1
04-13-2012, 01:30 AM
No worries BBJ. If we don't catch any Walters we WILL catch a buzz after at npauls. If this snow keeps up we may need our ice fishing gear.

thorne
04-13-2012, 08:41 AM
Definitely don't want to spoil the fun but its the same as not registering your car. Proof of ownership is not the same as having the proper federal registration. It has to be registered and display the proper registration number, just has your vehicle has to be registered and have a valid licence plate. To bad the sales rep didn't explain this throughly and get the process moving sooner. Not doing so is a violation.

thorne
04-13-2012, 09:11 AM
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/boats/pleasurecraft.shtml

Note the dealer should have made provisions to have you on the way as soon as you picked up your boat.

TROLLER
04-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Should be able to go down to the govt bldg and pick it up right there. I know in Calgary it is in the NE not sure about Edm. but you should be able to find something out from the govt web site.

It is the law that the numbers be on boh sides of the bow and it is a ticketable offence

thorne
04-13-2012, 09:38 AM
Should be able to go down to the govt bldg and pick it up right there. I know in Calgary it is in the NE not sure about Edm. but you should be able to find something out from the govt web site.

It is the law that the numbers be on boh sides of the bow and it is a ticketable offence

That changed in 2010 it now has to be issued through transport Canada. The old days of waking into Service Canada are gone.

The Fisherman Guy
04-13-2012, 09:38 AM
I am in the same boat as you BBJ, pun intended!

First of all, let's be clear - what you are looking for is not a "boat registration". You are referring to licensing your pleasure craft with the federal government. Due to recent changes in the system, the license number you will receive from New Brunswick cannot be acquired anywhere else, by nothing other than snail mail. There is no cost, and no way to speed up the process.

As I said, I am in the same boat. Waiting for my license number right now. You can call 1-800-O-CANADA for more information.

It is a ticketable offense if you operate your boat without your pleasurecraft license number clearly displayed on both sides of the bow in 3inch font, in a color which contrasts with the bow color.

ViperV7
04-13-2012, 09:41 AM
I never had mine registered till last summer and still haven't put the numbers on it and the amount of times the wardens checked me out no one ever bothered me about it.

thorne
04-13-2012, 09:46 AM
I never had mine registered till last summer and still haven't put the numbers on it and the amount of times the wardens checked me out no one ever bothered me about it.

Probable because it falls under Federal, not provincial. Same as you personal watercraft license. Although they should have mentioned something. It's the RCMP and coast Guard who enforce the federal stuff.

fish99
04-13-2012, 09:49 AM
There use to be a place in cow town that would give a number right there when you regsitered your boat.

billie
04-13-2012, 09:54 AM
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_boat_licence-3214.htm

Your dealer should have done it for you, simple customer service.

ViperV7
04-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Probable because it falls under Federal, not provincial. Same as you personal watercraft license. Although they should have mentioned something. It's the RCMP and coast Guard who enforce the federal stuff.

Well the wardens sure like to check me for my pleasure craft operates card, but that should be federal? Funny they never asked me for my fishing license and that's provincal. They checked me so much they new me by my first name. Lol. Still debating if I'm going to put the numbers on. I have it registered.

04-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Well I gave them a Call , All they said is that its a ticketable offense , 250 to 500 dollar fine , They said I should have gotten my information as that was over a month ago . What a pain in the arse if you ask me . All though she said I have 90 days to get it registered . Only Proof I have that its mine is the Insureance and bill of sale . I guess thats what I will have with me .

Crossing fingers that it just comes in the mail today .

JohninAB
04-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Provincial officers will ask you for your boat operators card and assume if they want will check your registration.

I am amazed Bass Pro did not have this done for you and the numbers put on professionally as most dealers do. Going to cost extra now to get it done or try to do it yourself.

pelada trochu
04-13-2012, 04:12 PM
my dealer couldnt register the boat until the paper work was signed.
then they send it off and wait for a number to put on it.
when they got the number i went over and they put it on my boat.
i never gave it a second thought about operating it without the numbers.
my friend ran his for 3 years then they caught him and warned him and he put the numbers on next day.

for the maiden voyage have the insurance (to pay for removing it from the bottom of the lake, or from running up and over someone else).

then go sailing with proof of ownership, no officer in his right mind would ticket you.

i'll kick in 10 bucks if they do!

remember you have to break in the motor with 2 hours of use under load, do not create a bunch of heat cycles. your best bet is cruising with full down trim and varying throttle every few minutes. 10 second blasts after the first hour is okay.

your motor breakin is the most important thing!!! forget the fishing till its done

also, cruising around will bring you into some dead head. ice fishermen and kids on the lake notorious for starting a fire and walking away, using a wooden block etc. this is your next concern.

last is that you will see more freezing temps for awhile so dont be using your live well ( little water in a low spot on your tubing) and when you pull out you have to put nose down and then motor full down at the launch (not when your home, can freeze on the way) let her sit for awhile and have lunch, coffee or something. never turn it over to clear the pump. its pointless. just burns out the pump.

lastly, think of me an everyone else stuck at home. Then smile and say sucks to be you!!!

Mistagin
04-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Reminds of when I bought my boat - spring of 03. Took it home from the dealer and sent in the registration paperwork right away. Then went fishing a few days later (first day off).
Now, wouldn't you know it, police patrol boat came along and checked me out. Yes, I had all safety required items, even had extra stuff, and was wearing my life jacket. Officer complimented me on having it all but had one last comment, "You need registration #'s on this boat."
My response, "I just bought this boat, it's the first time on the water with it, and the paper work is in the mail." And I handed him my bill of sale and a photocopy of the paperwork for the registration.
Officer checked it all and said, "Okay, make sure you put the numbers on as soon as you get it."
"Yes sir, I will."

A couple of weeks later I was out again, saw patrol boat heading my way again. Same officers aboard. They came alongside and saw I had numbers affixed correctly (yes, the right ones), smiled and waved and took off.

I never got checked again :).

ViperV7
04-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Last spring when I bought the boat I called the registration place up and they told me depending on how busy they were it could take up to 6 months to process my registration. Had it back by August though.

Tell ya one thing I bought a new boat, I have my Pleasure Craft Operaters card and registrations sent in. Wasn't going to stop me from using my investment and wasting my summer and few days that I receive off from work to use it.

And then the warden says to me on the dock "your PCO Card isn't valid".

I says "PARDON"

"The company that issued your card was not valid"

Boy did he bark up the wrong tree that day. I told him" I payed 50$ for my card like everyone else and took the course, unless you want to give me my money back for right now I'll be on the water with it."

"Yes sir, good luck on the water" he replied

You can't fix stupid
Cheers

04-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Reminds of when I bought my boat - spring of 03. Took it home from the dealer and sent in the registration paperwork right away. Then went fishing a few days later (first day off).
Now, wouldn't you know it, police patrol boat came along and checked me out. Yes, I had all safety required items, even had extra stuff, and was wearing my life jacket. Officer complimented me on having it all but had one last comment, "You need registration #'s on this boat."
My response, "I just bought this boat, it's the first time on the water with it, and the paper work is in the mail." And I handed him my bill of sale and a photocopy of the paperwork for the registration.
Officer checked it all and said, "Okay, make sure you put the numbers on as soon as you get it."
"Yes sir, I will."

A couple of weeks later I was out again, saw patrol boat heading my way again. Same officers aboard. They came alongside and saw I had numbers affixed correctly (yes, the right ones), smiled and waved and took off.

I never got checked again :).
I've only got the bill of sale and insurance don't have any registration forms and of course boaters license . Unless you mean trailer registration .

On a side note IS IT SATURDAY YET !!!

04-13-2012, 07:28 PM
Last spring when I bought the boat I called the registration place up and they told me depending on how busy they were it could take up to 6 months to process my registration. Had it back by August though.

Tell ya one thing I bought a new boat, I have my Pleasure Craft Operaters card and registrations sent in. Wasn't going to stop me from using my investment and wasting my summer and few days that I receive off from work to use it.

And then the warden says to me on the dock "your PCO Card isn't valid".

I says "PARDON"

"The company that issued your card was not valid" a

Boy did he bark up the wrong tree that day. I told him" I payed 50$ for my card like everyone else and took the course, unless you want to give me my money back for right now I'll be on the water with it."

"Yes sir, good luck on the water" he replied

You can't fix stupid
Cheers

There was a big thing on that , the same company who was at edmontons sportsmen show . I did mine boaters exam . Com which is who transport Canada says to do it .50.00 is bait money lol .

Shmag
04-14-2012, 10:02 AM
Just go and put some cheap stickers on it...AB and about 6 numbers and there wont be any questions asked. Once you get your registration number in, change your stickers

thorne
04-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Just go and put some cheap stickers on it...AB and about 6 numbers and there wont be any questions asked. Once you get your registration number in, change your stickers

Isn't it funny how a lot of members are ready to hang guys up for some slight infraction of the fishing regs. But openly councelling some to break the law in other ways is fine.

jts1
04-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Well we just passed clairshome and weather has cleared right up. We are good to go. I'm sure if we get checked all will be good.

Lornce
04-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Bass Pro sent me the registration number about a week after my purchase and I received the government form in two.

horsetrader
04-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Well we just passed clairshome and weather has cleared right up. We are good to go. I'm sure if we get checked all will be good.

Theres a cute little girl at the front desk at claresholm motel 6 names Jamie stop in and say hi....lol

Willowtrail
04-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Theres a cute little girl at the front desk at claresholm motel 6 names Jamie stop in and say hi....lol

But she works afternoon Shift. Yes she is pretty dang cute.

muzzy
04-14-2012, 04:42 PM
So Viper which boat exam card did you have? Is it valid or not?

Gord

Mistagin
04-14-2012, 04:58 PM
I've only got the bill of sale and insurance don't have any registration forms and of course boaters license . Unless you mean trailer registration .

Hey John, here's a link to get the form for registering your boat with Transport Canada (in case you haven't got it done yet :)): http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Corp-Serv-Gen/5/Forms-Formulaires/searchrs.aspx?formnumber=84-0172E

I photocopied the form before I mailed it so I had proof I had done it.
Happy boating!

Big Sky
04-14-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm a bit confused here. I ordered a new boat last fall and picked it up in early March. When I ordered the boat I put 10% down and paid the rest when I picked it up. The dealer had not looked after the registration, nor did I expect them to. How could the dealer register my boat for me? Technically, I was not the owner until the day I showed up and looked after the outstanding amount.

I have been waiting about a month now to get my registration. I talked to the folks at Transport Canada before I sent in my application and she said it should take about 3 weeks including the time spent with Canada Post.:(

Shmag
04-15-2012, 05:31 PM
Isn't it funny how a lot of members are ready to hang guys up for some slight infraction of the fishing regs. But openly councelling some to break the law in other ways is fine.

Well its not like i'm telling him to go poach fish,lol. When we were still able to register "In Office" the person told me the numbers are there in case they found your boat in the middle of the lake with nobody inside. Guessing if this is the case the owner is probably on the bottom of the lake. I also would put money on it that for every boat that changes hands, over 50 % dont have a registry change of name. Think about it...its a useless number for alberta lakes. probably brought in by the same party that introduced the "LGR"

ViperV7
04-15-2012, 05:40 PM
So Viper which boat exam card did you have? Is it valid or not?

Gord

I took mine online at boaters exam, had to be just before the law came in to effect. Looks like everyone elses but apparently they say it's not valid. Haven't researched if it's valid or not, and don't really care. I have receipts for everything. I'll take it right to court just to make an example. I took the course to play by the rules the government should as well.

bobalong
04-15-2012, 08:26 PM
I took mine online at boaters exam, had to be just before the law came in to effect. Looks like everyone elses but apparently they say it's not valid. Haven't researched if it's valid or not, and don't really care. I have receipts for everything. I'll take it right to court just to make an example. I took the course to play by the rules the government should as well.

The rules of the government were that if you were offering the course you had to have your course and questions accredited through them. The problem is some fly-by-night companies set up and never got their courses accredited by the govt, so the govt, were not even aware of some of the companies that were doing boater exams.

I hope yours is valid, most of the reputable ones had the name of their company on the card as well as their mailing address. They also keep a database in case you ever loose your card, they can replace it.

ViperV7
04-15-2012, 08:34 PM
The rules of the government were that if you were offering the course you had to have your course and questions accredited through them. The problem is some fly-by-night companies set up and never got their courses accredited by the govt, so the govt, were not even aware of some of the companies that were doing boater exams.

I hope yours is valid, most of the reputable ones had the name of their company on the card as well as their mailing address. They also keep a database in case you ever loose your card, they can replace it.

It says boaterexam.com right on it. It was the website ol'Bob Izumie was promoting. Don't no, transport Canada sent me the card. Not going to waste my time with it.

Lornce
04-16-2012, 08:12 AM
boaterexam.com is the approved transport Canada exam for your Boating operators license.

gilbertslake
04-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Is the licensing requiremnet for vessels powered by a motor less than 10HP unchanged i.e. no requirement to license? Or has that changed too?

50/50
04-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Is the licensing requiremnet for vessels powered by a motor less than 10HP unchanged i.e. no requirement to license? Or has that changed too?

As far as I know its still voluntary for under 10 hp