PDA

View Full Version : Hand painted lures

kujo
04-13-2012, 09:45 PM
I'm interested in starting to Hand paint my own lures and was wondering if anyone could offer any suggestions on supplies I might need e.g. Paint, stands, brushes?

Also where would I be able to buy blank lures (besides Ebay) In the Calgary area?

I have Googled the subject and found lots of info but I wanted/hoping to hear some personal experiences from members on AO's Forum.

:cheers:

falroy
04-14-2012, 01:55 AM
I'm not sure what kinds of lures you are looking to paint, but I made all these out of wood myself either turned on a small hobby lathe or carved by hand out of balsa wood for the flies and pine dowel for the plugs. All the painting was done with cans of spray paint. I would love to get an airbrush, but just can't justify the cost. Also using spray cans makes it easier to paint multiple lures with different colour schemes at the same time.

kujo
04-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Those are some nice looking lures good job and thanks for sharing.
I was thinking of using spray paint for a base coat, What type of spray paint did you use(Enamel based)? Did you use any sealant?:test:

densa44
04-14-2012, 07:55 AM
I don't think that you need an air brush at all. When I tried this years ago, as a stripling youth for financial reasons, I had trouble figuring out how to attach the hooks.

Do you run a wire through the plug and attach the hook to the wire or is there a better solution?

falroy
04-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Most of the paints I use are just the krylon indoor/outdoor paints (couldnt find what kind of paint they are) and some enamel paints if I want specific finishes I cant find in other paints. I start of with multiple coats of white paint as a base. As far as a sealer I have experemented a lot. I used minwax clear gloss polyurethane which gives a good hard finish but leaves your lure with a bit of an amber tint/. Then I tried polycrylic which leaves your lures with a really clear finish but I find the finish isn't as hard so last night I tried thinning two part epoxy with isopropanol alchohol and it's still drying but it looks good so far.
For the larger poppers i drilled a hole right through them fed a piece of stainless wire through twisted the end to form a loop and using a hobby syringe filled the holes with epoxy. The plugs I just drill two small holes side by side cut a short piece of wire and using wire cutter make small burrs along the edge that will be inside the plug then fill with epoxy. I've never lost doing it this way and have attached my scal to the hooks and pulled it to 100lbs and not had an issue. I've seen other lures that have used screw eyes too.

kujo
04-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Thanks for all the great info. :sHa_shakeshout:

yada
04-14-2012, 03:27 PM
What kind of lures are you planing to paint?

One of my friends paints his own crankbaits (they look like great, better than most ones in stores)
He says he buys clear plastic lures in bulks online.
And he uses air brush to paint the lures.

horsetrader
04-14-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm not sure what kinds of lures you are looking to paint, but I made all these out of wood myself either turned on a small hobby lathe or carved by hand out of balsa wood for the flies and pine dowel for the plugs. All the painting was done with cans of spray paint. I would love to get an airbrush, but just can't justify the cost. Also using spray cans makes it easier to paint multiple lures with different colour schemes at the same time.

Those are beautiful lures nice job.

canamdon
04-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Ive always used Testors model paint. Seems to work for me!

falroy
04-14-2012, 04:52 PM

X2 testors model paint I use the little jars of red for the mouths and most of the metallic paints I use are the testors spray paints.

kujo
04-14-2012, 09:17 PM
He says he buys clear plastic lures in bulks online.

I want to purchase some blank crank lures for painting any chance you could find out where he gets them from?

X2 testors model paint I use the little jars of red for the mouths and most of the metallic paints I use are the testors spray paints.

Thanks I'll have to make my way down to the hobby craft store and take a look around at the paints.

FishingFrenzy
04-14-2012, 09:33 PM
I want to purchase some blank crank lures for painting any chance you could find out where he gets them from?

Thanks I'll have to make my way down to the hobby craft store and take a look around at the paints.

You can get them pretty cheaply online at this site, and they ship to canada USPS so its like 5 bucks shipping. http://lurepartsonline.com/Online-Store/Unpainted-Bodies/

kujo
04-14-2012, 09:40 PM
You can get them pretty cheaply online at this site, and they ship to canada USPS so its like 5 bucks shipping. http://lurepartsonline.com/Online-Store/Unpainted-Bodies/

Great site a lot of supplies thanks!

kujo
04-15-2012, 12:09 AM
You can get them pretty cheaply

Do you have any idea about the Quality of the lures on the site you pointed me to? have you looked at this site (http://wlure.com/index.php?cPath=28) for Unpainted lures?

Any other suggestions on paints, lures, painting rigs (I.e. Stands/mounts), anything else I might be overlooking?

foxracing_23
04-15-2012, 02:20 AM
I do not recommend wlures. I bought about 70 of them and first off-no through wire. Second I dropped 2 of them from counter height onto the laminate floor and one shattered and the lip came right off the other one. Berkly fishing supply has decent ones for slightly more money. I can't find small 2" or smaller floating rappala style anywhere though

kujo
04-15-2012, 02:45 AM
I do not recommend wlures. I bought about 70 of them and first off-no through wire. Second I dropped 2 of them from counter height onto the laminate floor and one shattered and the lip came right off the other one. Berkly fishing supply has decent ones for slightly more money. I can't find small 2" or smaller floating rappala style anywhere though

Thanks for the heads-up I'll have to do more searching and try to find a reliable source of blanks.
Google returns such junk if your not completely specific in your search criteria...

yada
04-15-2012, 01:13 PM
http://www.bustinbassbaits.com/

He says you can get knock off lures there, that has exaclty the same action as the real things.

kujo
04-15-2012, 03:14 PM
http://www.bustinbassbaits.com/

He says you can get knock off lures there, that has exaclty the same action as the real things.

Thanks for the response Yada I'll check it out.

FishingFrenzy
04-15-2012, 06:48 PM
Do you have any idea about the Quality of the lures on the site you pointed me to? have you looked at this site (http://wlure.com/index.php?cPath=28) for Unpainted lures?

Any other suggestions on paints, lures, painting rigs (I.e. Stands/mounts), anything else I might be overlooking?

I've ordered a couple of painted baits and I believe they use the same bodies for both. I thought the quality was pretty impressive, good swimming action in the water. No complaints about them!

kujo
04-15-2012, 08:51 PM
I've ordered a couple of painted baits and I believe they use the same bodies for both. I thought the quality was pretty impressive, good swimming action in the water. No complaints about them!

Good to hear and that was from "http://lurepartsonline.com/Online-St...ainted-Bodies" Sounds like I have a few good options.

I appreciate all the good input from all the board members. :grouphug: