PDA

View Full Version : Great Falls Shopping

Hoochie Papa
03-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Found out the wife has a shopping trip planned to Great Falls this weekend. I see there is no Cabelas or S.W., or BPS near there.
Are there any good archery/outdoor stores in the city I could hit?

Thanks

Glockster
03-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Big Bear on the Northwest Bypass, on the way to the mega-Walmart.
http://www.bigbearsports.com/

Big Bear is very similar to Russel Sports in Calgary, while Scheels is more like a well stocked WSS with really good service. Surprising that the reloading section in both stores is not as good as WSS or Russells, better mail order companies in the US I guess. The powder prices were sick last time I was there in Novemeber. $18.95/lb for Hogden powder.

And Scheels in the JC Penny Mall. The rifle selection will make you cry. No counters, just walk amongst then and shoulder all you want.

http://www.scheelssports.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ScheelsStoreView?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&langId=-1&storeLoc=GF

There's a "tactical" shop just up the street before Target on the south side of the road, its call SWAT I believe, a limited selection but some cool items. Still have'nt found any good surplus shops. And if you are up to it there's a kit butt gun muesuem down town at the "Charlies Russel" museuem I think? Oh and check out the hunting/gun selection at the books stores, both are located on the main road towards Scheels, one is just before the mall and the Barnes & Noble is just as you merge off I-15 to get into Great Falls, right across from Home Depot.

Duk Dog
03-16-2008, 09:56 PM
Good list. Don't forget to check out Wal Mart - ya never know what you'll find at their stores in the USA. They tend to have more hunting stuff than the Canadian stores.

Cap'n Crunch
03-16-2008, 10:31 PM
Just how long is the drive from Calgary to Great Falls?

Hoochie Papa
03-16-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm figuring about 6 hours. BUT,we will have a 3 year old and a 10 year old with us. So that should just about double it.:lol:

Jamie
03-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Hoochie.. Not takeing your kids and wife into account you should make it in under 5 hours from the south end of Calgary.

Where are you staying? We stayed at a nice best western. BTW if you will be getting in late, make sure you stop someplace and get a bite to eat.. We had to eat in some BAD greasy spoon in downtown.. YUCK!!! I had to stop at a gas station and get some stale M&M's just to get the taste out of my mouth.

Good deals on hunting clothes at Schees.. Ammo price was more expensive than Calgary.

Jamie

Glockster
03-17-2008, 12:08 AM
The Walmart sporting goods section in Great Falls has really shrunk over the past three years. The first year it had a full selection of Leupold Vari II's and some III"s and the complete Rifleman line not to mention ALL the Leupold bases and rings. By November of '07 the scopes had shrunk to just the el'cheapo Simmons in blister pacs and the entire section had shrunk by at least half. Hunting clothes were no screaming fit for price but Hoppes and Break Free were about half price. Oh and Kokanee was $8/dozen.:D

By far the best place to eat we have found is JB's just east of the mall on the south side of the road. Family freindly, good menu selection and reasonable prices. The hotel just off I15 across the road from the airport is very nice, mini-suites, pool, hot tub and hot breakfast for less than what you pay downtown close to the malls. Have fun.

Hoochie Papa
03-17-2008, 12:30 AM
I wish I could say it's going to be easy, but what is? We plan to leave friday "morning". That's about a 5 hour window right there with the two kids, and me, after getting home from 48 straight night shifts on the rig. North end of the city to boot. Wifey already has hotel booked. I think Super 8. (She collects points I think)
Thanks for all the pointers on the hunting shops, but I am just looking at archery equipment. Even I were looking at guns, just too much hassle across the line.

But at least I can go to Walmart @ 3:00am and buy a case of beer for under $10. Why is there so much crime down there again?:ashamed:

Timberj
03-17-2008, 08:31 AM
One other thing to remember is to include the wait time at the border!..fridays can be nasty. we waited over two hours last summer and mad our flight out of GF by about ten minutes.

Okotokian
03-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Never understood the concept of going down there to shop. With the travel costs and exchange, you would have to buy thousands of dollars of stuff to even cover the cost. I've bought a few things on recent trips when I was going anyway, and also mail order, and while I found the prices a BIT cheaper, certainly wouldn't be worth 10 hours in the car plus gas and meals. I guess if your wife is planning to buy $5000 in clothing, but....

Anyways, sounds like you are getting dragged along, so chill in a hunting store, enjoy LOL

Duk Dog
03-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Never understood the concept of going down there to shop. With the travel costs and exchange, you would have to buy thousands of dollars of stuff to even cover the cost. I've bought a few things on recent trips when I was going anyway, and also mail order, and while I found the prices a BIT cheaper, certainly wouldn't be worth 10 hours in the car plus gas and meals. I guess if your wife is planning to buy $5000 in clothing, but....

Anyways, sounds like you are getting dragged along, so chill in a hunting store, enjoy LOL

Look at it as a family weekend away, combined with shopping for things that for the most part are cheaper than here at home. Exchange is a non issue these days.

Okotokian
03-17-2008, 09:19 AM
Look at it as a family weekend away, combined with shopping for things that for the most part are cheaper than here at home. Exchange is a non issue these days.

True enough. And by exchange, I just meant the amount the bank charges you. No one ever actually gives you the full rate with no charges. It's not a big thing, but that's what I meant by exchange.

tjm
03-17-2008, 04:55 PM
sheels is a cool sportinggoods store not sure if i spelt it right but if your in greatfalls check it out

Off in the Bushes
03-17-2008, 05:51 PM
If you are worried about a line up at the border crossing, which there is most likely going to be giving it is a long weekend, cross at Cardston or at Del Bonita there will be smaller line ups, but if we all think that same then there might be a longer line ups, as they are not staffed like the Coutts crossing.
Either way they are not that much out of your way if you save 30 minutes at the crossing.

Rust
03-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Not sure what the BIG R has for archery stuff, but they had a good selection of guns. I was surprised. And there Carhartts are quite a bit cheaper too. Enjoy.

calvin
03-17-2008, 07:44 PM
love to go with you, miss going down there. a good place to eat is a restaurant called Borries (spelling?). its way on the north end of town but a good cab driver should get you there easy enough. steaks as big around as a laptop. if you got time the charles m russell museum is a good place to spend some time. also ditto on big bear and scheels should be able to pry a few sheckels out of you. have fun. oh also there used to be a black angus way down 10th ave

Mintaka
03-17-2008, 10:07 PM

otto389
03-18-2008, 02:46 PM
There is also a store on the southeast corner of town.I can't remember the name but it is right on the edge of town and it sort of shares a parking lot with the Honda car dealership.It is SW of the Honda building and it is like a CO-OP store.A little of everything,but they have a pretty good hunting and fishing section as well.(well,two years ago they did anyway)As far as Walmart not having anything.They have strawberry Quik powder i'll have you know. LOL.And THAT makes the trip worth while right there.LOL
Scheels in Great falls is only so-so.But last summer we went to Fargo ND.and that is where Scheels head office is.WOW.Two stories of sporting goods.At least half of the upstairs was hunting and fishing.Probably as much square footage as Wholesale in Edmonton,crammed FULL of just hunting and fishing.ALso in Fargo they have Gander Mountain,Sportsmans warehouse,a couple of independants,and a Cabelas 1 hour North in East Grand forks.Any one of those stores puts anything around here to shame in terms of quantity and variety.(those musky lures are huge)And Fargo is only about 3 hours South of Winnipeg.
Have a good trip
Trevor M.

Hoochie Papa
03-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Well, made it back no worse for wear. A little lighter in the pocketbook, but worth the trip.

Thanks for all the tips. Scheels was the best store for hunting gear. Walmart had nothing. The wife couldn't stay out of Ross's clothing store.

As far as eats, we found an awesome Buffet- "Golden Corrall". Tons of food, ribeye steak made to order, whatever else you want. Fresh, good, and $10 for adults, $4 for kids, 3 and under free.

Great mexican restaurant also was "La Sierra"

Not much for sightseeing, as the wife wasn't to keen on going to the C.M. Russell museum. But we did go for a drive down to the Lewis and Clark National Forest. Saw about 300 Muleys in 2 hours.

Next trip will be to Kalispell I think.

Duk Dog
03-24-2008, 09:03 AM
Glad you had a good trip. Another town well worth the trip is Missoula - a very nice town. Sportsmans Warehouse, RMEF headquarters, REI, good restaurants etc.... Hotel or campground options.

djwf69
03-25-2008, 12:29 PM
X 2 on Missoula they have the sportmens warehouse and another store i think it was called Bob's sporting Goods .Really nice town a fair bit to see and do well worth the drive. Gas is cheaper down there as well

slingshot
03-25-2008, 02:16 PM
If anyone can help I sure would apreciate it.I have had it trying to purchase a cargo enclosed trailer to haul my Rhino UTV.I need a rear drop door with a minimum 73 inch opening and would like a couple options as a roof vent and possibly a window.I am in the market for something 8X16-18 feet long with a good manufactured name if you know any dealers in the area I sure would like to know of one that could give an accurate price and not just it will maybe cost you this with these extras.
i would also consider a Canadian dealer that would help or better a Canadian manufacturer

lippy
03-25-2008, 04:22 PM
Don't forget to take your childrens birth certificates, picture I.D, and or their passports.

Chris K
03-25-2008, 11:29 PM
It's a little bit of a drive, but these guys sell tons of trailers, and I know a few people that bought them there and they were very happy. They are in Davidson, Saskatchewan about an hour south of Saskatoon. I have been looking at one there myself too...probably will pick it up in the fall. I have found their pricing to be better than around here.

www.fasttoysforboys.com
1-800-213-8008

Pioneer2
03-27-2008, 07:48 AM
Last summer I was in GF's Scheel's and sent the wife next door to Victoria's Secret while I loaded up on other"sporting goods".They bought out La Sensa in Canada.3X9X40 VXII were $299 and a 2.5X8X36 VXIII was $399 same as a Zeiss Conquest 3X9X40...............Firearms +Females Win Win situation..........Harold

theduke
03-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Scheels and is it awesome, i was like a kid in a candy shop, lol, that walked out with loads of stuff that woulda csot me double here in calgary

Hoochie Papa
03-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Even though I wasn't quite recuperated from my 7 weeks of gravys, it was worth the trip.

I would have loved to have made it over to Missoula and check out the RMEF HQ's, but Wifey had way too much shopping left to do I guess.

Next plan is to go a little further south, then a little more the next time, until I can convince her to drive far enough to hit Cabelas, or Bass Pro. Baby steps.

Can't complain about the selection at Scheels though. Lots of archery stuff, and a surprisingly large selection of bows.

My almost 3 year old daughter couldn't stay away from the shooting gallery. Daddy done teached her good.

Would definately be a better trip with a group of people though. Park at the Golden Corral, and put them out of business.:lol:

Chris K
03-29-2008, 12:44 AM
Joe, did your wife spend all that money you were stockpiling all winter? Sounds like all is well with you and your family. One day this summer I am going to have to take you out fishing in the boat somewhere. Take er easy, Chris K