PDA

View Full Version : Coal Lake

Hooker
04-14-2012, 11:15 AM
I know this is a little early to be asking but I've got the urge to fish Coal Lake again this May when the season opens. Have any of you folks from the Wetaskiwin/Camrose area been monitoring the water level this winter and if you have is the level holding. I had read on this board that the water level had come back up last season but people were only catching large pike and small pike with no in between pike. Would appreciate any info you might have to share.

Lefty-Canuck
04-14-2012, 11:20 AM
I know this is a little early to be asking but I've got the urge to fish Coal Lake again this May when the season opens. Have any of you folks from the Wetaskiwin/Camrose area been monitoring the water level this winter and if you have is the level holding. I had read on this board that the water level had come back up last season but people were only catching large pike and small pike with no in between pike. Would appreciate any info you might have to share.

I fish there quite a bit....

Honestly for every 50-75 fish you catch you might catch ONE keeper....good news lots of fish to catch bad news not many keeper size in there....at least last year it was this way.

This lake is overfished and the winter fishing there was VERY slow....

I honestly think the way the regs are set and the fact this lake is so close to "the city" almost every "keeper" sized fish is removed from that lake.....you will be glad to know I put every fish I catch back.

LC

Hooker
04-14-2012, 11:32 AM
Thanks Lefty-Canuck. I hear what you're saying. My trips there have been C&R. If I want a pike to eat I head for the southern reservoirs. Those are pike fishing heavens. Are the boat launches usable on Coal or are they still in bad shape because of lower water levels?

Lefty-Canuck
04-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks Lefty-Canuck. I hear what you're saying. My trips there have been C&R. If I want a pike to eat I head for the southern reservoirs. Those are pike fishing heavens. Are the boat launches usable on Coal or are they still in bad shape because of lower water levels?

Last year the North launch was in the best shape it has been in years due to the water level being up, they have not used water out of the lake lately so I imagine levels will be close to what they were last year. I am not sure about the South end.

LC

bloopbloob
04-14-2012, 02:28 PM
Water level was good last year, fishing was less than spectacular. South End boat launch was the best it's been in years, some pretty big boats getting in

DJL
04-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Someone had posted some pictures of winterkill in another thread. There were just suckers floating everywhere but if suckers were dying it can't be good for the pike.

I wonder if anyone has been out there lately to offer an update? I have heard the lake partially winterkills some years so this might be normal for all I know.

Hooker
04-14-2012, 07:56 PM
You're right there. Suckers are usually the last fish to winter kill. Still you would think there would be some Pike floating with the suckers. Well, I guess the only way to find out is to take a day this May and find out.

slingshot
04-14-2012, 08:13 PM
Been around the lake for over thirty years never seen so may eagles with their young from last year in the area.Seen five on the north culvert opening all puffed up or fat from all those white bellys floating aroung

Lefty-Canuck
04-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Been around the lake for over thirty years never seen so may eagles with their young from last year in the area.Seen five on the north culvert opening all puffed up or fat from all those white bellys floating aroung

Not to mention all the returning pelicans that frequent that lake and snack for hours...

LC

Xiph0id
04-15-2012, 01:36 PM
The lake and pipestobe creek were both very high last year.
I actually took my boat about a kilometer upstream in the creek.
Not a big boat but still 16' fiberglass with a 70hp on it.
Fishing was batter in the creek than the lake.

Hooker
04-15-2012, 02:57 PM
I'll bet there was a bunch of hammer-handles in the creek. I'll bet a rubber frog would have worked well.

whitetailman
04-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Winter fished it 5 times this year. Best day we caught 5.biggest being 17.5 pounds. Same day caught a 10 pounder. Every other day either skunked or little ones

Xiph0id
04-15-2012, 07:52 PM
I'll bet there was a bunch of hammer-handles in the creek. I'll bet a rubber frog would have worked well.

Just used spoons.
I would like to try some top water lures in there this year.
It was fun, no big fish though. Just smaller ones.
Biggest maybe 5 lbs.

I live in leduc and should be able to report water levels and such whenever I have a chance

Lefty-Canuck
04-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Just used spoons.
I would like to try some top water lures in there this year.
It was fun, no big fish though. Just smaller ones.
Biggest maybe 5 lbs.

I live in leduc and should be able to report water levels and such whenever I have a chance

I am going to try and go for a walk down the creek with the fly rod this year....you can't buy that kind of fun!

LC

Xiph0id
04-15-2012, 09:20 PM
I am going to try and go for a walk down the creek with the fly rod this year....you can't buy that kind of fun!

LC

You'll have a very hard time.
Not very suitable for walking.
When it was high, it was water right up to the trees.
Also I remember there being a high bank on the south side for portions of it.
It is a very scenic creek, I remember it was about 25c when I went and some tall spruce trees were very nice shade.
Give me a shout in the summer, we'll take my boat and some fly rods.

Lefty-Canuck
04-15-2012, 09:24 PM
You'll have a very hard time.
Not very suitable for walking.
When it was high, it was water right up to the trees.
Also I remember there being a high bank on the south side for portions of it.
It is a very scenic creek, I remember it was about 25c when I went and some tall spruce trees were very nice shade.
Give me a shout in the summer, we'll take my boat and some fly rods.

Sounds good! I haven't been to the creek before. I usually wade/walk the shore lines and have alot of fun.

LC

Geezle
04-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Sounds good! I haven't been to the creek before. I usually wade/walk the shore lines and have alot of fun.

LC

I'm not really familiar with the lake, but I've got a 12' tinner with a 35lb thrust trolling motor, and I should also have a 9.9hp Merc by then so if you wan to do a little exploring, you know I'm in! :cool: