PDA

View Full Version : How is Millers Ice

dkrhome
04-14-2012, 11:29 AM
Hi All,

We are thinking of going to to Millers tomorrow and I just wanted to make sure it was still safe to do so.

Thanks

Torino
04-14-2012, 11:34 AM
Hi All,

We are thinking of going to to Millers tomorrow and I just wanted to make sure it was still safe to do so.

Thanks

Not sure if I would risk it. Im not sure exactly how thick it is but we have had some super warm weather with rain and very wet snow. Just a heads up

Flyfisher87
04-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Not sure if I would risk it. Im not sure exactly how thick it is but we have had some super warm weather with rain and very wet snow. Just a heads up

x2. I value my life too much to be even thinking about venturing out on any kind of ice right now.

FishingFrenzy
04-14-2012, 12:27 PM
People have been going through the ice around the province, a guy is dead. When will people get it through their heads its APRIL. Its time to GET OFF THE ICE.
There is openwater fishing already..... If you wanna commit suicide, feel free to go icefishing.

TROLLER
04-14-2012, 01:19 PM
People have been going through the ice around the province, a guy is dead. When will people get it through their heads its APRIL. Its time to GET OFF THE ICE.
There is openwater fishing already..... If you wanna commit suicide, feel free to go icefishing.

Could not have said it better.

dkrhome
04-14-2012, 01:28 PM

This is why I asked...this is my first year Ice fishing. I guess not everyone is all knowing like yourself when they first started...

Thank you to all with intelligent answers.

We have decided to wait for open water.

FishingFrenzy
04-14-2012, 01:40 PM
This is why I asked...this is my first year Ice fishing. I guess not everyone is all knowing like yourself when they first started...

Thank you to all with intelligent answers.

We have decided to wait for open water.

Hey man I apologize for the rather abrasive reply. Had I known this was your first year icefishing I wouldn't have put it that way. There's just been alot of people going through the ice, IMO lakes should close earlier so that the undereducated/reckless are forced to stay off the ice.

For the future, I get off the lakes at the end of February. Especially if there's a warm spell later on in Feb. Lots of guys are still going on in march, and thats not a terrible idea as long as its still below 0C. I've heard that if you have 3 consecutive weeks of +5 or higher temps, the ice is no longer safe. Not sure if this rule is viable but it's one I heard somewhere.

Also, since your new to icefishing, NEVER icefish on ANY river in alberta. Period. No matter how cold it is, how thick the ice, etc, etc. Dont do it!

Again, sorry about my previous reply, I didn't mean to be a d!ck

dkrhome
04-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Hey man I apologize for the rather abrasive reply. Had I known this was your first year icefishing I wouldn't have put it that way. There's just been alot of people going through the ice, IMO lakes should close earlier so that the undereducated/reckless are forced to stay off the ice.

For the future, I get off the lakes at the end of February. Especially if there's a warm spell later on in Feb. Lots of guys are still going on in march, and thats not a terrible idea as long as its still below 0C. I've heard that if you have 3 consecutive weeks of +5 or higher temps, the ice is no longer safe. Not sure if this rule is viable but it's one I heard somewhere.

Also, since your new to icefishing, NEVER icefish on ANY river in alberta. Period. No matter how cold it is, how thick the ice, etc, etc. Dont do it!

Again, sorry about my previous reply, I didn't mean to be a d!ck

No problem, and thank you for the advice about the month and rivers.

We always play on the safe side...fishing is great, but not if it ends in you being dead...