PDA

View Full Version : Rifle basix triggers?

ditch donkey
04-14-2012, 11:49 AM
I am looking to replace the factory trigger in my ruger hawkeye with an aftermarket trigger.

I stumbled across the Rifle Basix website, and think it's a appealing option. Trigger ships to my door, the install instuctions look simple enough. But there is a disclaimer at the bottom, saying that Rifle Basix equipped firearms need to be handled carefully, and that the bolt should ALWAYS be closed slowly and carefully. And that the rifle should be pointed in a safe direction whenever opening or closing the bolt.

Obviously these are basic rules, but are these triggers prone to bump fires? Or is this just a generic disclaimer?

Anybody have any expierience with these triggers, or any other suggestions? I have done some searches on this forum, and found some good ideas, but I like the idea of Rifle Basix becausethe rifle doesn't leave my home, and I don't lose a month or two of shooting time, waiting for the gunsmith.

sns2
04-14-2012, 11:59 AM
I have heard nothing but good things, however if you are in the Edmonton area, Western Gun Parts stocks Timney triggers, with most models, except Savage, being adjusted from the factory. $130 taxin.

NoKlu
04-14-2012, 12:06 PM
I put one on my Brno .22 and I like it. Just like any trigger that is not set up properly,they will bump fire. If you are in Canada they can not ship to your door. I had mine forwarded from a friend in the US.

jpohlic
04-14-2012, 12:28 PM
If you are in Canada they can not ship to your door.

Really?? I ordered one from their website and it was shipped right to my door last year.

It's a great upgrade on my Stevens 7-08, think it was around $100

Twobucks
04-14-2012, 12:41 PM
Really?? I ordered one from their website and it was shipped right to my door last year.

It's a great upgrade on my Stevens 7-08, think it was around $100

I think it comes down to price - below $100 for gun parts it's no problem, above that. . .well, problem.

I emailed Rifle basix a month or so ago and they said they ship to Canada all the time - labeled as "machined parts". So I ordered a trigger for my Marlin 917vs three weeks ago and it hasn't arrived yet. Not worried about it yet - but they didn't provide a tracking number either.

I'll try to remember to update when it arrives, but everyone seems to have good things to say.

Can't be worse than the crap plastic trigger group that came from the factory!

Lefty-Canuck
04-14-2012, 12:45 PM
I ordered one through Alberta Tasctical for my Savage 17hmr...was WAAAY better than that factory trigger (pre-accutrigger).

LC

NoKlu
04-14-2012, 12:45 PM
I got mine almost 3 years ago and they may have found a way to get around the shipping problems since then.

singleshotom
04-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Have look at these guys triggers there in Washington and Ive had great luck with their products....... and they are a little cheaper and very well built..
http://spec-tech-industries.com

good luck
sst

ditch donkey
04-14-2012, 01:47 PM
The spec-tech looks alright, and sounds rod henrickson easy enough to install. Seems like they specialize in Ruger triggers.

Timney seems to be the big name in triggers, any reason to use one of their products?

Dick284
04-14-2012, 04:17 PM
I've put two Rofle basix triggersd in two different LH Rem 700's.
Shipped to my door both times, both were easy to install.

Try finding someone who stocks LH 700 triggers...It's like hens teeth, but with Rifle Basix, it does'nt matter you use the original safety lever off the stock trigger.

Oh yeah, I'm very happy with both.

Pathfinder76
04-14-2012, 05:09 PM
I've put two Rofle basix triggersd in two different LH Rem 700's.
Shipped to my door both times, both were easy to install.

Try finding someone who stocks LH 700 triggers...It's like hens teeth, but with Rifle Basix, it does'nt matter you use the original safety lever off the stock trigger.

Oh yeah, I'm very happy with both.

Only if that stock trigger is pre X-Mark.

wally338
04-14-2012, 06:25 PM
I installed a rifle basix on my savage and I like it. I have no experience with target shooting but it works well for hunting.

eric2381
04-14-2012, 07:08 PM
I have two rifle basix triggers, and they've been great.

elkamaholic
04-14-2012, 10:27 PM
I just ordered, received, installed and have used my rifle basix trigger for my savage .243. No problem with any of the above...have tried my damnedest to get it to bump fire with a snap-cap but can't do it. Probably just a standard disclaimer but I still feel better having tested it.

Oldmanfry
04-16-2012, 08:30 AM
I ordered two last month or so and they were in my mailbox in less than a week.

I also tried my damnest to get it to bump fire but no luck.

Super easy to install too.

densa44
04-16-2012, 12:09 PM
If I can do it any one can! I called their one line expert, and a very nice fellow with a pleasant southern drawl answered, and walked me through the installation.

It works great and it is a Hugh improvement over the one that my Savage came with.

You'll love it.

You may be able to make it bump fire if you set it to "hair trigger". Mine doesn't.

Twobucks
04-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Update: Trigger arrived. All installed easily and with a little filing I got the trigger surprisingly light with no creep.

Won't get to shoot it for another week - but already I'd buy another Rifle Basix.

SHORTMAG
04-16-2012, 06:41 PM
Ditch...I've also bought and installed 4 Rifle Basix triggers in the last few years. First two were paid for by Canada Post US dollar MO...the others by Paypal and CC..NOT a single problem what so ever to ship to my door here in Canadastan..:evilgrin:..and Clay was a gentleman to deal with ! If I get another rifle and I want to swap out the trigger...it'll be a Rifle Basix for sure!!

Armorman
04-17-2012, 08:29 PM
I have two of them on PGW tactical/target rifles and I really like them.....both set at aprox 25oz. Not light by target rifle standards but light enough for me. Very consistent, meaning, there are no suprises when squeezing that trigger. It breaks exactly at the same point every time with zero creep. Never-ever had a bump fire, even when set at less than 16oz.

One thing though, both of mine had a gritty feeling from the start and after about 100 rounds they started to feel much better. Normal break-in I would assume. Not sure if that is the case with Timney or Jewell.

Dean2
04-17-2012, 09:55 PM
I have a number of aftermarket triggers and over a couple dozen of them are Rifle Basix. Have them in Ruger, Rem, CZ, Marlin, Savage and Weatherby. All guns, easy and perfect install.

Great customer service. Out of all of the ones I have or have installed had one problem. They shipped a replacement trigger with one phone call, and didn't even ask for the effort to return the problem one. Said they didn't want me to have to pay the return shipping.

For a varmint or hunting rifle they are damn hard to beat for the price. On a pure Benchrest rig I would still go Jewel, but for anything else, they are all RBs now. You will be very happy with the product, easy of install and the results. Definitel;y give one a try.