PDA

View Full Version : Scope mounting help please

Richard B.
04-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Hi folks

I have anew 4x12 Redfield mounted on a Savage 110 with standard Leupold two piece rings and bases.
I cannot get the point of imapctan closer than 3 inches to centere and I have run out of windage.
I have tested three different loads in this rilfe with the same results.The groups are consistent in size and are round with little vertical or horizontal stringing, at least none that cannot be blamed onoperator error.

I am hoping that someone can provide guidance on how I can zero this rifle.

Lefty-Canuck
04-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Hi folks

I have anew 4x12 Redfield mounted on a Savage 110 with standard Leupold two piece rings and bases.
I cannot get the point of imapctan closer than 3 inches to centere and I have run out of windage.
I have tested three different loads in this rilfe with the same results.The groups are consistent in size and are round with little vertical or horizontal stringing, at least none that cannot be blamed onoperator error.

I am hoping that someone can provide guidance on how I can zero this rifle.

Is the base the adjustible left and right? IF it is...via the two slotted screws on the rear....zero the scope counting all the clicks of adjustment and move to half way (if you count 100 clicks total adjustment, go all the way one direction and count back 50)....then adjust your bases for center.

LC

elkhunter11
04-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Is the base the adjustible left and right? IF it is...via the two slotted screws on the rear....zero the scope counting all the clicks of adjustment and move to half way (if you count 100 clicks total adjustment, go all the way one direction and count back 50)....then adjust your bases for center.

+1 You likely don't have the rear ring centered in the base. If you can't get it sighted in with the adjustable base, something is very wrong.

Richard B.
04-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Thanks for your suggestions.I had the scope mounted in a gunstore because I was lazy.I usually do it myself.

catnthehat
04-15-2012, 08:40 AM
Thanks for your suggestions.I had the scope mounted in a gunstore because I was lazy.I usually do it myself.

Start from zero again, then.
Center your windage dial by counting the clicks lock to lock, then come halfway back - don't force the dial past its lock point however.
Then bore sight the scope roughly using the adjustment screws on the rear base.
After that you should be able to zero the rifle with precision using the windage
dial.:)
Cat

StanH
04-15-2012, 01:53 PM
There is a simpler way to center the reticle on a scope. Just hold a small mirror against the objective lens and look through the eyepiece, with good backlighting. You will see two sets of cross hairs. Just turn the adjustments until the two sets of cross hairs align and at that point the reticle is in the center of the adjustment range.