PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes SUCKS!!

Glockster
03-17-2008, 12:24 AM
Been hemming and hawing about posting this....But if you're 40 or over and out of shape smarten up! You're just opening the door to this nasty disease. Diagnosed four years ago with Type II, but I've never really taken it too seriously, *******. Well with this hectic oilpatch work schedule I've been less than stellar on loosing weight, watching what I eat and taking my meds. Well it's catching up to me. At the eye doc's on Friday and he found three bleeds in the right eye and two in the left, not to mention the right dominat eye is showing weakening and a few mini tears on the retna.:sick: His orders: no more shotguns and more more big bore's, recoil could finish the job of detaching the retna. ****!!!!:mad3: So take care of yourself boys and girls. Don't let this happen to you.

WCTHEMI
03-17-2008, 12:59 AM
Dang, that sucks. A hard lesson to learn.

Okotokian
03-17-2008, 09:08 AM
I was just diagnosed recently with type 2. Getting on top of it now. My doc had told me in past that I was "borderline" in his words and that I should get in shape. He really hadn't said much more than that. Now with some education I've found that what it was was "Pre-Diabetes", and if I had been sufficiently informed and taken action, it may have been possible to delay the onset. Browns me off.

Anyway, get your yearly check-ups and make sure you get the blood sugar test and the prostate cancer test when you get your blood work done. Demand it. A significant percentage of the population have some sort of diabetes and don't even know it as it often has no immediate symptoms, but it can really screw you up down the road boys.

Sorry to hear about your trouble Glockster... I guess you will be the newest board .243 advocate!

ctd
03-17-2008, 09:22 AM
I watched a documentry about Diabetes the other day and how changing your diet has worked for a group of Natives on Alert Bay. They were for the most part loosing a large amount of weight and not having to take their medication after a few weeks of folling their diet. Not sure much more about it but it sure seems interesting.

Good advice about watching yourself.

s_buffalo
03-17-2008, 01:27 PM
Sorry to hear about that... I have several relatives with the disease and it can be quite demoralizing.

...so, are you still good to go with a bow? That might be an option as well...

All the best as you battle that monster... Hang tough!

Stinky

RandyBoBandy
03-17-2008, 09:50 PM
if you are at all serious about getting control on your diet and diabetes, then join up a Dr.Bernstien clinic. It "costs" $$$ but you'll be able to get a grip and control on your symptoms..:)

BUD
03-17-2008, 09:50 PM
Curious as to why a shotgun blast would affect the eyes.

lilsundance
03-17-2008, 10:39 PM
Bud, its not the actual blast but the felt recoil. Since he has retina damage now, the recoil could finish tearing the retina.
My father lived with it for years. The day JFK was assasinated he was being rushed from hunting camp to the hospital in Whitecourt. Thats how he found out about the assasination. He had to use insulin injections daily. My brother has type 2 diabetes and is on the pills. So far I am lucky, but know how tough, at times, it is to live with it.

Okotokian
03-17-2008, 11:32 PM
if you are at all serious about getting control on your diet and diabetes, then join up a Dr.Bernstien clinic. It "costs" $$$ but you'll be able to get a grip and control on your symptoms..:)

Health region runs diabetes clinics and education for free. Even give you free monitor and supplies. All you have to do is follow what they say.

avb3
03-17-2008, 11:54 PM
Having lived with the disease for 2 years now, I actually took my docs advice. Changed my diet, started excersing, and last checkup he told me that if he did not know I was diabetic that there was nothing in my blood work that would indicate it (A1C showed at 5.5). Bonus was cholestrol was almost perfect.

Moral is, stay on top of it. I know that things can progress which are out of my control, but my attitude is I will rule the disease, it won't rule me. If changes happen, I need to deal with them at that time, but in the meantime, keep a positive outlook, and do listen to your doc.