PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Walleye Cranks.

Cal
04-14-2012, 04:31 PM
Just wondering what everyones favorite crankbaits are for walleye. Though I've caught fish trolling all kinds of cranks my favorites are the Storm Hot n'Tot in white with red hooks, Thin Fins in perch pattern, and Cotton Cordell Wally Divers in pretty much any color with perch probably my favorite. To be honest I havnt used a crank from either of these companies that didnt catch like crazy. So whats yours?

yada
04-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Cotton Cordell Wally Diver
Rapala Tail dancer and Minnow rap

Once my friend and i used his Xcalibur lures.
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/XCalibur_XCS_Square_Lip_Silent_Crankbait/descpage-XCXCS.html

I was using the Bruiser and he was using the Citrus Shad. I got 7 walleye and 1 pike in 2 hours, he caught 9 walleye and 2 pike in 2 hours.

Only ever used it once though...

Flyfisher87
04-14-2012, 04:57 PM
As odd as this may seem, I have caught the majority of my crankbait caught walleye on a 3/8oz Baby Bass colored shallow running Bomber Flat A. I have no logical explanation for it whatsoever. But there were days that I was hitting fish every cast. Taking about 40 fish days all with one lure. Was a sad day when a good ol' toothy pike bit it off at the leader never to be seen again.

JohninAB
04-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Rapala XR10 XRaps in perch or blue.

horsetrader
04-14-2012, 05:45 PM
chubbdarter

Alberta Bigbore
04-14-2012, 08:00 PM
TailDancers

Albertafisher
04-14-2012, 09:00 PM
- 3'-5" Xraps
- Cotton Cordell Grappler Shad
- Livetarget Perch 3"-4"

ViperV7
04-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Only I will know my favorite!!!!

eldy
04-15-2012, 08:03 AM
Ratlin rap three way swivel and 1oz weight 2foot lead to rap 18" to wieght .8-1.3 mph.

Lefty-Canuck
04-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Ratlin rap three way swivel and 1oz weight 2foot lead to rap 18" to wieght .8-1.3 mph.

On a similar note....try a bottom bouncer with a floating rapala attached, about 2 feet behind the weight while trolling......works really well.

LC

gl2
04-15-2012, 01:43 PM
i love throwing cranks. its probably my favourite way to fish no matter where i am or what i am fishing for, but for eyes my go to hooks are salmo and rapala.

Salmo-

#1-bullhead 8
#2-perch 8
#3-pike 11 (i find the one with a orange belly works better than the one without)
#4-chubby darter(the glow in the dark one really works well at dusk)

Rapala-

original floating in the TR, FT, G, and SH colour schemes worked well.
Jigging raps and jigging shad raps have produced good fish.
rattling rap
countdown.

but i will throw any crank bait/jerk bait there is. for me its about colour patterns and depths at correct retrieve speeds/trolling speeds more that the logo on the box the hook came in...lol

on a side note i picked up some strike king kvd sexy shad 2.5's yesterday and they look good. cant wait for the bass season to begin. good luck everybody.

horsetrader
04-15-2012, 02:51 PM
i love throwing cranks. its probably my favourite way to fish no matter where i am or what i am fishing for, but for eyes my go to hooks are salmo and rapala.

Salmo-

#1-bullhead 8
#2-perch 8
#3-pike 11 (i find the one with a orange belly works better than the one without)
#4-chubby darter(the glow in the dark one really works well at dusk)

Rapala-

original floating in the TR, FT, G, and SH colour schemes worked well.
Jigging raps and jigging shad raps have produced good fish.
rattling rap
countdown.

but i will throw any crank bait/jerk bait there is. for me its about colour patterns and depths at correct retrieve speeds/trolling speeds more that the logo on the box the hook came in...lol

on a side note i picked up some strike king kvd sexy shad 2.5's yesterday and they look good. cant wait for the bassseason to begin. good luck everybody.

Your computer must have been running out of ink so I fixed it for you

lund17
04-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Tail dancers are my number one got to hook, then a floating lindy rig with a 3oz bottom bouncer is second.

BigIrv
04-15-2012, 09:05 PM
I definitly like these two!

SamSteele
04-15-2012, 10:29 PM
Storm Hot n Tots have been one of my recent "go to" walleye cranks. "Blueberry Glitter" is one of my favorite colors ever since my daughter outfished me with one 10-1. Seems to work when others don't.

Also have had good luck with Rapala Shad Raps and some smaller Fat Raps.

SS

Cal
04-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Storm Hot n Tots have been one of my recent "go to" walleye cranks. "Blueberry Glitter" is one of my favorite colors ever since my daughter outfished me with one 10-1. Seems to work when others don't.

Also have had good luck with Rapala Shad Raps and some smaller Fat Raps.

SS

Deffinatly my go-to lure, IMO its a very rare day when something else outfishes a Hot n' Tot but its pretty comon to have them outfish other cranks, often by a pretty wide margin. Theres realy no way to lose with these things, in shallower water the same could be said of the Thin Fin as well. The fact that my tacklebox is well stocked with a wide selection of other crankbaits sometimes makes me wonder if I'm mildly retarded

edsonfisherman
04-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Rapala shadrap size 7 in parrot or clown color. Caught a huge 6lb eye last october in alberta beach trolling a size 7 shadrap in parrot colour. The eyes were coming up 2'+ after it.

HOSSTONE1
04-17-2012, 08:09 PM
I would have to say the Cotton Cordell's Riplin Redfin in the balck/copper or the blue/silver depending on the day and water conditions. Deadly with a bottom bouncer.

Mxyzptik
04-17-2012, 09:30 PM
At Spruce Point I like the largest chrome amd blue rattlin rap and at Graham, I like a blue Jr. Thunderstick. At Calling I always had luck with a gold/black rattlin rap.

chubbdarter
04-17-2012, 11:17 PM
favorites were

bomber waterdog
longcast
taildancer

Now its

live target smelt- bar none, no contest

Drewski Canuck
04-18-2012, 10:06 AM
On the hottest day of the Summer, go to the middle of Calling Lake. Watch your Sounder and look for the schools of tulibee and whitefish on the surface. Look BELOW the school and you will see real BIG arcs at 20 - 30 feet in 60 feet of water.

Troll a Chartreause or Chrome / blue Canadian wiggler at about 3.5 MPH on a very long line (100 - 200 feet).

THEN you will understand why this is my favorite dog days of summer crank.

Look for the "Mistress" with a bunch of kids on board with the sun umbrella up, and the stereo cranked. I'll give you some circle hooks for your plugs if you don't already have them.

Drewski