PDA

View Full Version : Spray Lakes Res Ice Thickness

Seymour
04-14-2012, 07:19 PM
Would anyone be able to confirm the thickness of the ice at spray Lakes Res by Canmore? My son would like to go ice fishing. From what I have been able to gather off of the forum, this may be the last place to go with "safe" ice.

Also, would anyone be able to tell me if I would be able to travel to the reservoir without problems in a minivan.

Thanks in advance for your input and help

Seymour

NSRfishing
04-14-2012, 09:08 PM
i think some old guy just fell through and drowned on thursday

craggerss
04-14-2012, 09:20 PM
i think some old guy just fell through and drowned on thursday

That was Chain Lakes Res

ogre
04-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Minivan access is no problem, just watch out for the many potholes. Although I'd be wary of the ice condition at this time of the year. I was out there a couple of weeks ago, and ice was still fine then. Now, I wouldn't take that chance.

http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=127837
http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=1382958#post1382958

If you still decided to go, please use extreme caution and test your way out to the depth you want.

Kokanee9
04-15-2012, 01:48 AM
Why wouldn't you take him shore fishing on open water instead of chancing it on ice at this time of year?

Pikecrazed
04-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Don't risk it the ice is unpridictable this time of year just go to any of the small ponds around like grotto quarry gap the bow there many other places

FishingFromC
04-15-2012, 09:46 PM
I went up on Wed and the ice at Sparrowhawk was about 1.5' thick, however the road out was blocked by an avalanche.

This late in the season would be taking a risk on the ice.

stc77
04-15-2012, 09:54 PM
i agree with kokanee... seriously... just stop with the ice fishing... it's not worth the risk anymore. Even if the ice is still thick in some places... it's starting to rot and is quite brittle. Just wait a couple weeks and hit the open water. Not worth it.

jacenbeers
04-16-2012, 09:53 AM
I fished Spray yesterday at Sparrowhawk and the ice was fine. There was about 1.4 feet of solid ice and 8 inches of slush on top of that with a hard layer on top of that yet that was supporting our weight. I am guessing it wont be like that for much longer though if the weather in the mountains warms up.