PDA

View Full Version : New Trout Pond near Fort Saskatchewan Boat Launch

PerchFisherman
04-14-2012, 08:16 PM
I was reading the Sturgeon Creek Post (local paper) and saw that there is a new trout pond by the boat launch in the Westpark neighbourhood. Any news about it?

flyfisherman
04-14-2012, 08:31 PM
When did you read that??????? That would be great if we got one out here!

Found it, sure sounds like we are getting one!
http://www.sturgeoncreek.ca/ThePost/NEWS/Entries/2012/4/4_New_river_valley_facility_celebrated.html

Alberta Bigbore
04-14-2012, 08:58 PM
About time. Should make my hometown a little more friendly. lol

sirmike68
04-14-2012, 09:59 PM
I believe it was stocked last year but will not open until this summer.

ReconWilly
04-14-2012, 10:27 PM
nice to hear the resources being spread around and supporting new water, awesome for anyone that lives in the area, have fun and take care of your new "Hole" lol, for lack of a better term... :sHa_shakeshout:

waterninja
04-15-2012, 04:24 AM
very happy to here of this new trout pond. i will definetly take a drive out there to see how it compares to hermitage. it's great to see how many people come out to enjoy a day at these "trout pond parks". congrats to ft.sask.

Alberta Bigbore
04-15-2012, 07:02 AM
I really hope some fool won't throw a like, walleye or goldeye in there..

FishingFrenzy
04-15-2012, 08:47 AM

Goldeye + trout in the same pond would be cool :sHa_shakeshout:

Lefty-Canuck
04-15-2012, 09:49 AM
How close is this trout pond to the river?

....just curious if it is close enough to have the river fill it up if it hits a high water mark. Usually trout ponds have to have a certain proximity to other water bodies...probably not an issue just curious.

LC

horsetrader
04-15-2012, 09:52 AM

The BASS go in on the 23rd..............:)

PerchFisherman
04-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Well, with it being so close to the river, some idiot will probably come along and throw something in there.

PerchFisherman
04-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Well, if you look on Google Maps, find the boat launch, you will actually see the pond. It is to the west of the road, and is a pretty big size.

DMCK
04-15-2012, 01:28 PM
This will sure beat casting practice in the back yard:)

WayneChristie
04-15-2012, 01:39 PM
The BASS go in on the 23rd..............:)

Got a few perch left over too, I will drop them in the mail for you Monday morning!

lund17
04-15-2012, 01:39 PM
I live about 3 mintues away and was down there yesterday. Didn't have my range finder but the pond is about 400+ yards from the river and is 50 feet plus above the water table of the river, so flooding is highly unlikely. As for someone wanting to throw "something" in there it would take some work. You can't drive right up to the pond. You have to park in the parking lot in front of the building, than walk through or all the way around the new Pavilion to the pond which is still a distance from the building. It will be interesting if they open it up to fishing this year.

linemanpete
04-15-2012, 02:25 PM
Very shallOw weedy looking in the fall last year

Paul C
04-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Here is a pic of the new pond. I was standing on the deck of the picnic house.
That little pond looks like it would be deep because of the banks around the pond. I saw no trout rising near the edges.

DuckBrat
04-16-2012, 12:10 AM
That little pond looks like it would be deep because of the banks around the pond. I saw no trout rising near the edges.

Any ideas on the size of this pond??Perimeter and acres? Thanks.

Paul C
04-16-2012, 07:54 AM
The estimate size that was giving to me is around 30 acres or so. I would like to know the depth of it as well. Does anybody know ?

Alberta Bigbore
04-16-2012, 08:20 AM

that pond looks like it needs Channel Catfish, and Rock bass!

linemanpete
04-16-2012, 09:01 AM
Very shallOw weedy looking in the fall last year

I walked around it last year in the fall with the dog and as far as I could see was weeds to the surface. I'd say 25 feet from shore the depth was 3 feet.

horsetrader
04-16-2012, 11:39 AM
that pond looks like it needs Channel Catfish, and Rock bass!

Now we're talking..

AxeMan
04-16-2012, 11:52 AM
Any ideas on the size of this pond??Perimeter and acres? Thanks.

I did a quick measurement/estimate on Google Earth and it looks like a bit over 12 acres. There are some more ponds in the same area behind it too. Looks like it is going to be a nice park. The Fort is becoming a very nice clean well maintained little city. Edmonton could take some lessons.

Alberta Bigbore
04-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Now we're talking..

Add some bluegills, pumpkinseeds, white bass, small city owned bait/tackle shop with a burger, icecream and snack bar....all for good measure. I think that would make quite the city attraction. Even charge a small fee to fish it to cover stocking expenses. I vote yes... to variety and change.

FishingFrenzy
04-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Add some bluegills, pumpkinseeds, white bass, small city owned bait/tackle shop with a burger, icecream and snack bar....all for good measure. I think that would make quite the city attraction. Even charge a small fee to fish it to cover stocking expenses. I vote yes... to variety and change.

Hell might as well throw some crucian carp in there :sHa_shakeshout:

Alberta Bigbore
04-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Hell might as well throw some crucian carp in there :sHa_shakeshout:

now that......would be silly. Pffffft !

PerchFisherman
04-16-2012, 03:56 PM
I spoke to the City of Fort Saskatchewan about the pond and was answered with the following

Hi Jack, your email request for information has been passed over to me for answers to your questions. The provincial regulations will apply to the west rivers edge Loins Club Fish Pond. Rainbow trout is the species that has been stocked. There has been groups out this past winter ice fishing with little success. I think it is probably the fact that this is a newly seeded pond.

If you have any more questions or want more clarification please do not hesitate to contact me.

horsetrader
04-16-2012, 05:27 PM

it would sure be more to look forward to then another friggin trout pond.....:)

AxeMan
04-16-2012, 06:20 PM
it would sure be more to look forward to then another friggin trout pond.....:)

Somebody, please build this guy a bass pond so we don't have to hear about it anymore....

Paul C
04-16-2012, 06:26 PM
I did a quick measurement/estimate on Google Earth and it looks like a bit over 12 acres. There are some more ponds in the same area behind it too. Looks like it is going to be a nice park. The Fort is becoming a very nice clean well maintained little city. Edmonton could take some lessons.
Thank-you for correct dimensions.:happy0180:

horsetrader
04-16-2012, 09:52 PM
Somebody, please build this guy a bass pond so we don't have to hear about it anymore....

easy solution A-man DON"T READ MY POSTS

PerchFisherman
04-22-2012, 09:49 PM
I fished here yesterday, and today, saw nothing, caught nothing but weeds and got no nibbles whatsoever. Water around the edges seemed to be very clear. No aeration at all.
No dead rainbows on the side of the lake, so I am debating dead or not.

EP2
04-22-2012, 11:40 PM
If the lake is quite shallow, is there an aerator?

highwood
04-23-2012, 12:35 AM

:)

PerchFisherman
04-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Yeah, the lake is fairly shallow, and has no aerator whatsoever.

Paul C
04-25-2012, 05:23 PM

Funny :sHa_sarcasticlol:

BeeGuy
04-25-2012, 07:44 PM

:):)

Geezle
04-25-2012, 10:44 PM
:):)

:):):)

ReconWilly
04-25-2012, 10:54 PM
:):):)

:sHa_sarcasticlol::fighting0030::bad_boys_20::)

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-25-2012, 11:53 PM

Shallow ? I highly doubt it there's 3 or 4 of them holes that they use to use for Lafarge and there gravel or cement operation , I remember being 18 and 4x4 ing in that field , and them holes are at least 40 feet deep .

Maybe with the new trout pond will keep people there not at the river. . Here's to hoping .

Make sure you guys are legal because the RCMP / Bylaw enforcement will be eyeing that place up , just like they stand in the trees along hwy 21 catching speeders .

Actually kinda nice place to go , beautiful park .

waterninja
04-26-2012, 01:16 AM
no=one seems to really know how deep this pond is. i am going to call the fort sask. info line tomorrow and try to get that info., though since it's stocked by the alta. govt. i might have to try some other sources. you have to think that someone involved in the building/planning of this park must know
on a side note i wonder who decides what ponds get aeration. love to see it at hermitage park.