PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of the T/C Encore?

kronk
04-14-2012, 08:47 PM
I am currently in the market for a new hunting rifle. I have never shot a TC, but am looking at the Encore Pro Hunter Rifle in stainless flextech in a 300 Win. Mag.

I would like to mount a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40, or a 3-9x50. I am thinking the 50 would be best as most shots, I have found, are in dusk, or dawn, and at only ~$100 difference, it could be a good choice.

A Caldwell 13'' to 23'' adjustable bipod.

Just for $#!+$ and giggles, I want a Bushnell Videoscope. (Mfr. # 737000V) I think it would be fun to see after a shot of you pulled, had too much, too little of a lead... I think it could be an awesome tool for improving shooting, as you can see your shot after the fact.

I like the idea of a higher quality single shot rifle at a reasonable price, and I hear that the barrels are interchangable on this rifle, and if so, I would also like to get a coyote rig on it in a 22-250 barrel with a 2-7X30 scope.

By my calculations, according to WSS hunting 2011 catalog, this will run me at $1669.84 with all the bells and whistles (not including the coyote rig,) and at $1559.84 if I go with the 40mm scope, but as low as $1339.90 if I drop the bipod, and video scope, with the 50mm, and $1229.90 with the 40mm scope: This is how it breaks down.

$819.95- Thompson/Center Encore Pro Hunter Stainless Flextech 300 Win.Mag. (http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/firearmDetails.php?ID=5643)

$519.95- LeupoldVX-II 3-9x50 (http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-2-riflescopes/vx-2-3-9x50mm/)

$409.95- Leupold VX-II 3-9X40 (http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-2-riflescopes/vx-2-3-9x40mm/)

$259.95- Bushnell Videoscope (http://www.bushnell.com/manuals/riflescopes/VideoscopeManual6LIM.pdf)

$69.99- Caldwell Bibod (http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/caldwell/catalog.asp?family=xla-bipods&style=pivot&ItemNumber=701417)

I just wanted to know what you guys think of this setup, and if there is anything you would add/drop. This will come in just over 9lbs. Will the scope/videoscope be messed up by shooting the 300? And who has expeirience with Thompson/Center? and if there are any other good quality single shot rifles you would suggest. Any feedback is appreciated.

bagwan
04-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Their is a two barrell combo for sale with bases in the Buy Sell. They are good rifles and the flex techs work well in harnessing recoil.

Alberta Bigbore
04-14-2012, 10:09 PM
Do they have barrels in .270wsm yet????

whitetailhntr
04-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Do they have barrels in .270wsm yet????

nope and they never will... the WSM's create too much pressure and the TC action is not designed to handle such pressures.

TC7
04-14-2012, 11:26 PM
Done with that .. had one a couple of yrs ago in 300 ...every time i squeezed the trigger i wore the scope ... sold it and bought the remington in 300 win mag and never looked back ... maybe just didn't fit me right ...

kronk
04-14-2012, 11:49 PM
Done with that .. had one a couple of yrs ago in 300 ...every time i squeezed the trigger i wore the scope ... sold it and bought the remington in 300 win mag and never looked back ... maybe just didn't fit me right ...

Did it have the flextech stock?

ditch donkey
04-15-2012, 07:13 AM
I've got a pro hunter with 25-06, and 338 win mag barrels. Both shoot well. The 25-06 shoots very tight, and I suspect if I spend a
little more time with load development, the 338 would tighten up a bit also.

The 338 has a bit of recoil, but it is a 338.

catnthehat
04-15-2012, 07:17 AM
nope and they never will... the WSM's create too much pressure and the TC action is not designed to handle such pressures.

Yup, even the beefed up after market barrels and pins that were offered for a while tended to have problems, so they shut them down.
Many fellas loaded their WSM's to accommodate the extra pressure, but if you have to do that, why shoot a WSM?
Oh yeah, I forgot - short action capabilities!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

kronk
04-17-2012, 04:21 AM
Ya, I am bumping it, but just because I was hoping for a little more feedback on this rig. Who has some experience with the TC, and are they worth a dam? also, anyone with any knowledge of the video scope?

sheephunter
04-17-2012, 05:12 AM
Pro hunter is a good solid rifle if you want something with the ability to change barrels on. I've owned several and all have shot well without modification.

Traps
04-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Yup, even the beefed up after market barrels and pins that were offered for a while tended to have problems, so they shut them down.
Many fellas loaded their WSM's to accommodate the extra pressure, but if you have to do that, why shoot a WSM?
Oh yeah, I forgot - short action capabilities!!:sHa_sarcasticlol:
Cat

Its impossible to beef up a barrel with a factory receiver because the side walls of the receiver limit the diameter of the barrel. Pins weren't beefed up either, they were increased in diameter to take up the extra clearance that are present with factory pins/holes.

I've got a TC encore, they are a good platform and you can do some minor smithing yourself from a website, search Mike Belm. I've done the oversize pin, higher poundage lockup spring and adjusted the trigger to 2.5 lbs. All for about $50 and a few hours. I like this platform the best out of all the brands I own which include Sako, Tikka, Remington, Husqavarna, and Parker Hale. I find it has a longer length of pull so for me it fit great. The sims pad does help out a lot in reducing recoil. Pick up a few different brands in your hands and see what fits you best.

Dr. Phil A
04-17-2012, 09:57 PM
I have one in a 204 Ruger and it is deadly. I would like to get one in 25-06and 7-08

SHORTMAG
04-18-2012, 05:18 AM
Just picked up a new Stainless Fluted Thumbhole Pro Hunter for my son....7 MM Rem Mag. I just got the brass all resized and primed to start the test loads for it. Still unfired by him (us)...can't wait to try it out at the bench!
Two of my friends own one each....25-06 and a 300 WM....the guy with the 300 also has a 223 barrel. Very accurate platform with most factory stuff....It's awesome just to leave the scope attached to it....hang it up and pull it out next Coyote season, swap barrels and she's still sighted in.....of course this is confirmed AT THE RANGE....BEFORE heading out to the woods :D...even the lowly ol Yote deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Austin
04-18-2012, 12:45 PM
I love my .243, .300WM so much that I have a .209x.50 muzzleloader barrel on order

Stinky Coyote
04-18-2012, 01:40 PM
i only have one and it started life while breaking in on factory ammos at 2-3moa but one has come around to very close to moa, its having a couple more tweaks and hope to see it break moa for 5 shot groups after....so after about 50 rounds and the bellm tune up kit is what got the one load to close to moa fyi...sure wasn't the shooter everyone seems lucky with out of the box for me but it will land where i want it too for intended purpose...all the other ammos are still 2-3moa fyi, i hadn't tried the federal 140 bt's which seems accurate in other guns as i was saving them but got a bit desperate to see if they were also going to be a 2-3 moa load....thank goodness as i don't reload, they will do, and after better headspacing for that load and forend float/pillar bed i'm hoping it will break moa regularly...we shall see

go with egw rail for scope mounting, i can see why a guy would get scoped, can't seem to get scope far enough ahead, they should come factory with 6" long rails with 6 screws imo...not quite thought out well enough imo

p.s. i have a talley 1" extended medium height brand spanking new lightweight one piece (3 oz) for 50 bucks if you pick up in calgary...make me ship it and it will be 60 buckeroos...just sayin

philthygeezer
04-18-2012, 08:41 PM
Who cares about WSM when you can run .375 H&H magnums? :D

I like the way they take down into smaller cases. My .223 gets about MOA with no mods other than the Bellm trigger spring. Not a fan of the oversized hinge pins.

Dadirk
04-19-2012, 12:14 AM
The rig you have described is a great sounding. I have a fair bit of experience with them. Shooting the 204 7mm 45-70 460 and the 500 and 50cal never owned a 300 but the 7 would be comparable.

Stinky Coyote
04-19-2012, 07:27 AM
$819.95- Thompson/Center Encore Pro Hunter Stainless Flextech 300 Win.Mag. (http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/firearmDetails.php?ID=5643)

$519.95- LeupoldVX-II 3-9x50 (http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-2-riflescopes/vx-2-3-9x50mm/)

$409.95- Leupold VX-II 3-9X40 (http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-2-riflescopes/vx-2-3-9x40mm/)

$259.95- Bushnell Videoscope (http://www.bushnell.com/manuals/riflescopes/VideoscopeManual6LIM.pdf)

$69.99- Caldwell Bibod (http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/caldwell/catalog.asp?family=xla-bipods&style=pivot&ItemNumber=701417)

i didn't see this part sorry, for 300 win mag after shooting my 7mm-08...you will want longer eye relief scope imo...i would choose the fxII fixed leupold 6x36 with lr duplex reticle with constant 4.3" over the 3-9 vxII's...they get 4.2" eye relief at 3x but drop down to 3.7" at 9x....i say you will get scoped if you run the magnification up....6x at 4.3" would be more ideal imo, don't bother with 50mm objectives, unnecessary weight and bulk, skip the video gizmo and always go with harris swivel bipods....the others will not have the quality, nuts fall off, quality control not there...if you want to buy more bipods until you find harris then go ahead with the caldwell....start with harris then you are done once right...less money in long run, been down that road as so many others have

again, get the egw rail and even simple weaver low rings or any style weaver ring you like, i have no issue with the standard weavers, i would say i have a killer talley one piece mount for you but with the 300 win mag i really think you are going to need to push that scope a bit further ahead than what the talley mount will allow, it may only be an 1/8" or 1/4" but at least with the rail you can get more centered ring spacing, bellm or egw (evolution gun works) has them in stock...i would buy from bellm, egw kills you on shipping etc. you may buy other bellm tune up stuff as well so combine a trigger spring, or tune up kit with your egw rail and do the shipping thing once

good luck and enjoy your new toy

philthygeezer
04-23-2012, 12:16 AM
+1 to the fetid carnivore's assessment.