PDA

View Full Version : Gun Cabinet

Da'Newf
04-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Hi all,

Hopefully I've got this in the right category. I've got a couple of rifles now - just bought the second one the other day - and am now at the point of considering a gun cabinet. Ammo is already locked up and stored elsewhere in the house, so that's not a big concern there. Not overly fussy of the tin can models like those at Canadian Tire, and I don't want to spend the money on a full blown safe, especially not since I've already got a small safe where the keys for said firearms are kept.

What I've been considering is building my own cabinet, maybe even a display cabinet. I've got some skill with woodworking so no issue making a cabinet. Just wondering what folks think of a solid wood cabinet compared to the cheap storage cabinets? Figuring 1/2" or 3/4" plywood, plexiglass if I go the "display" route, and solid locking mechanisms. Needless to say, the cable/trigger locks would stay on the rifles. Also, I might even build a more securely lockable compartment for ammo storage, but I do prefer keeping ammo stored separately in the house.

Anyways, looking for feedback/suggestions. Thanks in advance.

u_cant_rope_the_wind
04-14-2012, 09:27 PM
as long as it can be locked nothing wrong with it. the old story of the old glass door cabinets that had locking doors are no longer legal is a old woman's tale.
, you don't need a safe, as long as they are behind a locked door doesn't matter if its glass, cast steel, or wood.
law states fire arms must be stored in a locked case. it doesn't define what the locked case should be made of or how it is constucted. that i know of, i maybe wrong though

NoKlu
04-15-2012, 06:08 AM
I don't think Glass can be used as it is easily broken. This is taken from the storage regs.

(iii) stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.

oldgutpile
04-15-2012, 07:22 AM
If the firearms are trigger locked inside the showcase, this is totally acceptable.
Another option to get around the "not readilly accessible" clause, is a metal barrier behind the plexiglass. I wish I was more adept at posting pics, cause there are some great examples of artwork done with plasma cutters and game scenes that once fixed to the inside of the cabinet door, look really sharp. As long as you cant pull the firearm through the display door, I would say that all the storage requirements have been met.

gophinator
04-15-2012, 07:46 AM
best of both worlds!

vcmm
04-15-2012, 07:55 AM
I don't think Glass can be used as it is easily broken. This is taken from the storage regs.

(iii) stored in a container, receptacle or room that is kept securely locked and that is constructed so that it cannot readily be broken open or into.

Read the above quote from the regs. See the word { or } That means as long as you room is locked your good to go. Put glass in and enjoy them. Remember to lock you room EVERY time you leave it.

NoKlu
04-15-2012, 10:41 PM
I have a relative that has a "gun room". He was told by the RCMP that drywall was not enough and he had to line the walls with light steel before they would clear it for rifle storage.

sourdough doug
04-15-2012, 10:51 PM
I have a relative that has a "gun room". He was told by the RCMP that drywall was not enough and he had to line the walls with light steel before they would clear it for rifle storage.

Would you expect anything different from them.. Ask them to show you where that is found and they will clear the perimeter....
I guess, if you had them just stacked in the corner, maybe, but if they were in a cabinet and with trigger locks, then he is OK...:character0175:

NoKlu
04-16-2012, 11:43 AM
I guess the problem is they are to vague. The cops attitude is charge them and let the judge sort it out. With these being Criminal charges I would overbuild.