PDA

View Full Version : Questions in regards to reloading a .45 ACP

Bobby B.
04-15-2012, 10:09 AM
While I've been reloading centerfire rifle cartridges for some 30 odd years, I'm new to reloading handgun cartridges. I'd appreciate some recommendations from those with experience.

Last Friday, I purchased a Sig Sauer Match Elite in .45 ACP. Now I need some recommendations on dies (I like Redding), brass, powder, primers and bullets. The pistol will be used mainly (strictly?) for target practice at the range.

Bobby B.

wolf308
04-15-2012, 10:29 AM
any dies will be fine,get the carbide grey box of rcbs, no complaints. carbide is really hard i guess and it eliminates lubing up the case.

i use rem brass, and started with Win 231 powder 5.2 grains for a 230 gr RN of JHP,but switchted to 5/5.2 grains of Win WST powder ,cleaner burning.

velocity is around 760 or so with that powder load,i think your safe to go up to 6 but dont quote me on that.

standard large primers is ideal i believe,its a low pressure round.

Altagezzer
04-15-2012, 11:50 AM
Yeah, any die make will do but make sure it has a carbide resize die and a taper crimp die. Or buy them separately. The .45 Auto is supposed to headspace on the case mouth but after you bell the case mouth to get the bullet started easier you will want to squeeze the bell out. Stay away from any 185 gr bullets, they are stubby and can lead to feeding/ cycling problems. 90% of my .45 shooting has been done with 200 grain, lead, long nosed semi wadcutter bullets. They are cheaper and as good as jacketed bullets and that weight is ideal as an all around bullet. You can load them down to target loads or up to 1000 fps for serious loads. The only thing is that the lead bullets are usually 1/1000 fatter than a jacketed bullet ( .452") and is another reason to use a taper crimp die. Squeezing the case mouth into the sides of the lead bullet. The .45 Auto is actual a tapered cartridge anyway and your extractor will usually hold the cartridge back against the firing pin strike.

"Bullseye" powder is a long time reliable powder for the most handgun calibers in target or serious loads but your reloading manual that you were using for your rifles should have load data for handgun ammo. You do have a reloading manual ??. Most shotgun powders will work in the .45 Auto. Try some web sites of powder or bullet makers for up to date reloading data.

purgatory.sv
04-15-2012, 12:17 PM
If your resizing die is carbide you will not need to lubricate.

The most significant difference will belling the case after resizing [expanding the neck].

The next difference will be what type or how you will crimp the bullet.

Reloading the pistol is similar to your rife; I used Sierra, Hornady, and Lyman as references.

Whichever die you use I would follow the instruction included.

You will do well.

Armorman
04-17-2012, 08:42 PM
For pistol reloading Lee carbide dies are good enough. I reloaded many 1000's of 9mm and 45 acp pistol rounds with lee carbide dies before buying a XL650 press with Dillon dies. No problems with the Lee carbide dies whatsoever....

Bobby B.
04-30-2012, 08:48 AM
This past Saturday, I shot my new SIG for the first time. The load was Hornady brass, WLP primers, 240 grain Nosler bullets and 5.5 grains of W231 powder. Dies were RCBS carbide with taper crimp.

The SIG felt real good in my hands and functioned flawlessly. Interestingly, the POI seemed pretty close to POA at 25 yards right out of the box. I doubt I'll adjust the sights until my shooting improves. In comparison, shooting my High Standard .22 is much easier.

All the spent cases were very sooty. Is this normal? Is this because W231 is a dirty powder? Any insights would be much appreciated.

Bobby B.

Pioneer2
04-30-2012, 09:34 AM
I'd get a pail of cast bullets and shoot away.IMR 800X is also a good one..................Cactus Plains out of Sask runs about $80 a thousand bought directly.....Harold

catnthehat
04-30-2012, 09:52 AM
I'd get a pail of cast bullets and shoot away.IMR 800X is also a good one..................Cactus Plains out of Sask runs about $80 a thousand bought directly.....Harold

Dump all that stuff into a dillon 550 B and start cranking!!:sHa_shakeshout:
Cat

Bobby B.
04-30-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the recommendation about Cactus Plains. I'm still interested in knowing if sooty brass is normal.

Bobby B.

catnthehat
04-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the recommendation about Cactus Plains. I'm still interested in knowing if sooty brass is normal.

Bobby B.

yup,m that powder will make it sooty at tmes.
Cat

Bobby B.
04-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks, Cat. Can you recommend a cleaner burning powder?

Bobby B.

Pudelpointer
04-30-2012, 10:22 AM

Bobby B.

I decided to run plated bullets in mine to avoid the barrel leading issues I experience with my 44 shooting cactus plains.

I buy Berry's plated 230s from Budget Shooter Supply in BC. Price is good and shipping costs are excellent. Standard large pistol primers, 700x, whatever case.

purgatory.sv
04-30-2012, 10:27 AM
W231 is not clean.
In the reference books I have I don’t see 240 bullets.
Was this a low end charge or a higher one?
Also do you think your crimps were light or heavy?
These are just comment I have not loaded 45acp.

Bobby B.
04-30-2012, 10:39 AM
I should have read the label more closely, the bullets are 230 grain not 240's. The manual I'm using is Nosler's.

With no prior experience to rely on, I'd say the crimp is an average crimp based on what I measured the crimp to be at the mouth of the case and what the RCBS instructions recommends.

Bobby B.

purgatory.sv
04-30-2012, 10:57 AM
I use w231 and it is dirty but it works for what I use it in.

I did try another powder and it was cleaner in the result I got, it was hodgdon hs6.

Bobby B.
04-30-2012, 11:52 AM
I decided to run plated bullets in mine to avoid the barrel leading issues I experience with my 44 shooting cactus plains.

I buy Berry's plated 230s from Budget Shooter Supply in BC. Price is good and shipping costs are excellent. Standard large pistol primers, 700x, whatever case.

I have some 700X leftover from shotgun reloading. Would you provide me with the minimum and maximum weight charges?

Bobby B.

catnthehat
04-30-2012, 02:21 PM
I've used 700X in my wheel gun with Montana gold 230's .
4.5 grains is what I used, IIRC the minimum is 4.4 and the max is 4.9
Cat

Pudelpointer
04-30-2012, 03:00 PM
I've used 700X in my wheel gun with Montana gold 230's .
4.5 grains is what I used, IIRC the minimum is 4.4 and the max is 4.9
Cat

I believe cat is right that 4.9 is max. With the plated bullets I am using 4.8 grains is working well.

I also like the idea of getting 1450+ rounds per pound of powder, and I have the better part of an 8lb keg left over from my days shooting trap.

Bobby B.
04-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks guys. I'll try 4.6 grains of 700X and see what happens.

Bobby B.

flipper62
05-06-2012, 12:39 PM
I prefer to use powders that have a higher load densities such as Unique or Universal Clay or Tite Group. Easier to see the level in the case before I seat a bullet in my progressive. Using Bullseye there is a risk of double charging or detonation in larger volume cases with a small volume charge, never had it happen but there is a chance.

Phil