PDA

View Full Version : 7mm Rem Mag Ejection Problem PLEASE HELP!

M4verick
04-15-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm finding it difficult ejecting spent cartridges from my new R700 7mm Rem Mag. I've found if I keep the chamber where the cartridge rests lubricated with gun oil they are easy to eject. If i dont, the bolt is extremely hard to pull open and at times, the bolt opens with the spent cartridge still in the chamber. :sign0176: Loading the cartridges in is relatively easy. I have a theory that once the bullet is fired, the explosions stretches the cartridge to conform to the sides of the chamber forming a very tight fit making it difficult to eject. The only problem, is this isn't how this gun is supposed to operate. I will shoot different ammo and see what happens (these were winchesters). Any other suggestions? Should I take it to a gunsmith? Any help would be great.

Lefty-Canuck
04-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Might have a "rough cut" chamber (might need to be polished out)....or a weak extractor... Does your brass have any lateral scratches on it after being ejected? Are these factory rounds you are shooting? any signs of pressure on the primer? is the bolt stiff to lift or stiff to draw back? Too much oil in the chamber is not good either...I believe it can cause the brass to "over expand" or cause the brass to stick and conform easier to the chamber.

LC

elkhunter11
04-15-2012, 11:07 AM
I have a theory that once the bullet is fired, the explosions stretches the cartridge to conform to the sides of the chamber forming a very tight fit making it difficult to eject. The only problem, is this isn't how this gun is supposed to operate.

Actually that is pretty much what is supposed to happen when a cartridge is fired. The case expands to fill the chamber, forming a very close fit. That is what is referred to as fire forming. With a smooth chamber, and a good extractor, it usually isn't an issue to extract the cartridges. I would suspect a problem with the chamber.

As to using oil in the chamber, it isn't a good idea at all, as it results in more bolt thrust, which is not at all desirable.

m1garandguy
04-15-2012, 11:24 AM
ya that thing needs to be polished

M4verick
04-15-2012, 12:05 PM
I didn't notice any scratches on the cartridge...but then I wasn't looking either. These were factory rounds. The bolt isn't stiff to lift or draw back when the gun is not loaded or the chamber is empty. I'll probably take it to a gunsmith to have that looked at. Thanks for your help guys! If you have any more suggestions let leave one. Wheres a good Gunsmith in Calgary I can take it to?

Rman
04-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Most likley nothing wrong with your chamber. Get the oil out of there.

I see a new extractor in your future.

R.

fletcher
04-16-2012, 08:13 AM
The first gun i ever bought the same thing happened to me it was because i didnt clean it. Ilooked down the bore and it was shiny and new but must have been something in it i couldnt see. I cleaned it and then it was fine. Not saying that is your problem but if its hard to lift the bolt before pulling it back sounds like too much pressure i swab out my chamber with a shotgun mop everytime i clean oil in chamberis bad

catnthehat
04-16-2012, 09:17 AM
As was stated, get rid of the poil and get the chambered polished.

Cat

texas heart shot
04-16-2012, 07:06 PM
you say new rifle dont put up with that crap.take it back demand another one or they can send it to get fixed.its rem.problem you should not have spend a dine to get working right.been in your shoes

wildcat111
04-16-2012, 10:25 PM
i had the exact same problem, just need to be polished about 90 bucks at a gun smith, if its new i would check about warranty.