PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR-22 and the Remi 597VTR

winger7mm
04-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Ok so I think im gonna go with a different semi auto. So Now I want a tactical .22 So im wondering what is the difference of the SR22 compared to just the regular 10/22? I know the SR is based off the 10/22 such as the action. From what I can tell the SR is just a shorter barrelled 10/22 with a tactical stock. If thats the case I will just pay for a regular 10/22 and put a tapco stock on it for half the price lol. Now for the 597VTR same questions as above just on the 597. Is there quite a few aftermarket parts for the 597??

Lefty-Canuck
04-15-2012, 01:11 PM
Personally if it were me I would steer clear of the 597 and just stick with the 10/22.....so many aftermarket items for a 10/22, the reliability and lack of aftermarket things for the 597 would make the decision easy for me. 10/22 all the way between these choices. Not to mention stripping down a 10/22 to its nuts and bolts is really easy.

My $0.02....

LC

anfoman76
04-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Yeah but you don't need any aftermarket parts for the 597vtr. Mine will outshoot my buddies heavily modded 10/22. The only thing I put in ine were a VQ hammer and extractor. Very reliable and very very accurate. Don't beleive all the 10/22 hype!

Lefty-Canuck
04-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Yeah but you don't need any aftermarket parts for the 597vtr. Mine will outshoot my buddies heavily modded 10/22. The only thing I put in ine were a VQ hammer and extractor. Very reliable and very very accurate. Don't beleive all the 10/22 hype!

To be fair I have never personally owned a 597....I do have a custom 10/22 that shoots really well though.

LC

Jamie Black R/T
04-16-2012, 09:08 AM
had a 597VTR....it was a hoot and it outshot my brothers SR22 consistenly as well.

597's and 10/22's both have their share of feeding problems...i got lucky with my VTR as it was really reliable....the VQ extractor is a good idea either way.

The VTR is a royal pain to strip down for cleaning.....im not sure if the ruger is as well.

Id still buy the VTR again over the ruger if i wanted a tactical semi....but that wont be anytime soon....once you go CZ :scared0018:

dcutter
04-16-2012, 09:43 AM
I have the VTR as well as a heavy barrel 10/22 with the Tapco stock. I haven't replaced any of the internals on either, and to be quite honest there is no discernible difference in the two. Accuracy is nearly the same from the bench with the VTR only slightly edging out the Ruger (not nearly enough to call it a better gun though).

alpining
04-16-2012, 01:32 PM
I had a SR22 and it was excellent. I can't compare directly with the 597, but the SR22 was very easy to strip and clean. Being a 10/22 in a different shell, it is also very easy to modify and tune, and there is a huge user community who have been doing this for many many years.

Is the SR22 worth it over the base model? It depends what you want to get out of it. The SR22 is designed to be a reliable 22 rifle that looks and feels like a tactical carbine. It does very well at that. If you want a cheap plinking rifle and don't care about the tactical look and feel, then the basic 10/22 or the carbine would be the thing.

Differences from the basic 10/22: The receiver, trigger group, and bolt is exactly the same. The barrel on the SR22 is a medium heavy contour, and some have claimed that it is more accurate than the pencil barrel on the basic. I can't compare, but it was plenty accurate for me. The stock is obvious different. This and the barrel make the SR22 quite a bit heavier than a tapcoed basic model. There are no iron sights on the SR22. Putting iron sights on it is relatively expensive, since you've got to add a top rail to the handguard (it has to be the right height, and then your front sight is not fixed to the barrel - It's on the handguard, which technically floats), and then find a set of iron sights that will attach to the picatinny rails. I'm pretty sure Ruger thought most people would be putting an optic of some sort on it (scope or red dot or holo sight).