PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to all for your Help to protect Burbot

DuckBrat
04-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Two years ago pictures of Wasteful net fishing practices inspired me and a few other forum members to send letters to our Fisheries representatives. With your help we were able to begin changes to the future of Burbot angling regulations. Thanks to Forum members who took the time to send letters and thanks to those in the Fisheries department who listened. I hope with the recent changes to the Burbot season in PP2, that we can ride the momentum to change the wasteful practices of those net fishers that produced the wasteful scenes produced in the afore mentioned pictures. See you can make a difference you just have to put in the effort.

ReconWilly
04-16-2012, 01:08 AM
Agreed,thanks and well done to all who got involved and helped form forward change.

Torino
04-16-2012, 01:12 AM
Agreed,thanks and well done to all who got involved and helped form forward change.

big x2!!!!

burbotman
04-16-2012, 07:22 AM
Kudos X 3

It is great to finally see one of alberta's greatest sportfish getting more respect.

This also shows the power that sportsman have. I for one have been guilty of inaction and know that this inspires me to be more active as I hope it does others.

I think fisheries regulation is most import to burbot, as I am betting that it is a toss up between them and perch as to which species gets minimal C and R.

Few people talk about C and R with burbot, usually it is just an "mmmm" when they are on a thread.

Great work, I have had the privilage of catching a couple of brutes in the past and hope that others get the chance to have similar opportunities in the future.

Great work Duk and others

Lefty-Canuck
04-16-2012, 07:43 AM
Two years ago pictures of Wasteful net fishing practices inspired me and a few other forum members to send letters to our Fisheries representatives. With your help we were able to begin changes to the future of Burbot angling regulations. Thanks to Forum members who took the time to send letters and thanks to those in the Fisheries department who listened. I hope with the recent changes to the Burbot season in PP2, that we can ride the momentum to change the wasteful practices of those net fishers that produced the wasteful scenes produced in the afore mentioned pictures. See you can make a difference you just have to put in the effort.

Kudos for helping make the changes!

Did they change the rules for commercial fisherman as well Duckbrat? or does the reduced limits and closure during the spawn only apply to anglers?

I agree that burbot are too valuable a fish to just leave wasted on the ice....did they also remove that stipulation that burbot CAN be wasted?

LC

walking buffalo
04-16-2012, 07:57 AM

Are you being sarcastic?

Other than a new restriction applied only to Sport fisherman, what has changed?

hunter49
04-16-2012, 09:21 AM

I'm not sure I understand your point. We had our limits lowered/turned to 0 but commercial fishermen can still waste as many as they want(unless I missed where they changed that??). I would not call this a win for sport fishermen.

burbotman
04-16-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm not sure I understand your point. We had our limits lowered/turned to 0 but commercial fishermen can still waste as many as they want(unless I missed where they changed that??). I would not call this a win for sport fishermen.

Change has to start somewhere. Yes the commercial fishing still needs to be addressed, however if we sit back and say that sport fisherman should not have to change until the commercial fisherman do then our resource is really in trouble.

It is harder to start the ball rolling than it often is to keep it going and gain momentum.

valve god
04-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Kudos for helping make the changes!

Did they change the rules for commercial fisherman as well Duckbrat? or does the reduced limits and closure during the spawn only apply to anglers?

I agree that burbot are too valuable a fish to just leave wasted on the ice....did they also remove that stipulation that burbot CAN be wasted?

LC

No it was still in the regulations for 2012 for sport fishing but I showed the local CO and he said he was going to see what can be done to change it:snapoutofit:

Redfrog
04-16-2012, 11:05 AM
The problem was the by catch of the commercial netters who left them on the ice.
I don't think it was a problem of the recreational angler keeping a few fish for his table.
It looks to me that the sport catch limits have been reduced so the commercial guys can leave more on the ice.

PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong. This is one time I wish I was.

hunter49
04-16-2012, 11:35 AM
The problem was the by catch of the commercial netters who left them on the ice.
I don't think it was a problem of the recreational angler keeping a few fish for his table.

Could not have said it better myself...

Sundancefisher
04-16-2012, 12:08 PM
good on anyone that stands up to protect our resource! Common sense has prevailed!

dollfin
04-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Thank you very much!:)

TROLLER
04-16-2012, 02:45 PM
I tend to agree. Changes to sport fisherman with no change to the commercial guys has 0 impact.

It is kinda like cutting way back on the salmon while allowing some native groups to catch all they want.

Oh well, no one ever said it has to be fair. All we can hope for is the govt. to watch the commercial guys and attempt to control the wasting of burbot.

ogre
04-16-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm inclined to agree with Redfrog and Hunter49 with the view that the pile we were shown were left by commercial netting as by-catches. While it is a positive step to limiting the sport angling harvest for sustainability of the ling population, as long as commercial netters can still waste ling (or for that matter sport anglers) the population is no better/worse off than it was in the years past.:confused0024:

commieboy
04-16-2012, 08:00 PM
Change has to start somewhere. Yes the commercial fishing still needs to be addressed, however if we sit back and say that sport fisherman should not have to change until the commercial fisherman do then our resource is really in trouble.

It is harder to start the ball rolling than it often is to keep it going and gain momentum.

I am in agreement. Very well thought and very well said.

ogre
04-16-2012, 08:10 PM
x2

Due to the "pressure" from our fellow fisherpeople, we are seeing a willingness to listen from the decision makers.

Thanks to people who took the time to make a difference. You did.

Mariko's Rod
04-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Commercial fishermen fish in the top 5 feet of water. Burbot are bottom dwellers. incidental catches of burbot as well as all other species will always exist. the fact that commercial fishermen dont have to aknowledge the amount of incidental burbot they catch and are allowed to waste them is an issue that needs to be addressed. but adjusting the bag limits to help the pops is definatly a start!

Did they give you an indication that they were going to review commercial fishing regs regarding burbot?