PDA

View Full Version : Nymphing or Snagging in Bow

Rememe
04-16-2012, 09:33 AM
I have a question with my Fly rod set up.

I went fishing (Nymphing with Red Wireworm) in BOW yesterday, but none of RM whitefish I landed was hooked right in the mouth (around 5 in total). They were hooked/snagged either in the front bottown fin, or tail. Even a 20" brown trout was hooked in the tail ! Made me feel SO bad...

What's the reason? set the hook too late? Depth set too deep? Or float was not sensitive?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

hunter49
04-16-2012, 09:46 AM
setting the hook too late, they had most likely spit the hook by the time you set it.

uplander
04-16-2012, 09:54 AM
I have a question with my Fly rod set up.

I went fishing (Nymphing with Red Wireworm) in BOW yesterday, but none of RM whitefish I landed was hooked right in the mouth (around 5 in total). They were hooked/snagged either in the front bottown fin, or tail. Even a 20" brown trout was hooked in the tail ! Made me feel SO bad...

What's the reason? set the hook too late? Depth set too deep? Or float was not sensitive?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

You were likely setting to late and what probably happened is your nymph needs a bit more weight to keep the line between the nymph and indicator tight so you can see hits alot faster.

Rememe
04-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Thx Guys.

How to add more weights? I have two little split shots at the joint of leader and tippet, nothing else.

Should I add another one between two flies? say somewhere 6~8" above the second wireworm/fly?

uplander
04-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Thx Guys.

How to add more weights? I have two little split shots at the joint of leader and tippet, nothing else.

Should I add another one between two flies? say somewhere 6~8" above the second wireworm/fly?

put your split shot 12inches above your fly,

tacklerunner
04-16-2012, 10:05 AM
I find you get more tangles when the shot is spaced apart. Ideally you want your shot above your first fly to give the nymphs a more natural floating presentation. But, it can be harder to set the hook with longer tippets too. I would suggest a heavier shot as opposed to more shot and try get the ones with out the 'wings' I call them so it's perfectly balance on your line when casting.

As far as the foul hooking, whitefish have such small mouths it's common to hook them under the chin or other areas around the head as they haven't really inhaled the hook and are just mouthing it. The brown was a rare occurance.

ÜberFly
04-24-2012, 12:58 PM
If you are using a 2 fly (or 3 fly) rig and you are foul hooking fish, try increasing the distance between the 2nd or 3rd flies, eg. at least 18". Often if the distance between the 1st and 2nd (and/or 2nd and 3rd) fly is short (less then 16" or so) then when the fish hits the top fly (or 2nd fly), it gets fouled on the lower fly...

Cheers,

P

Pudelpointer
04-24-2012, 01:10 PM
If you are using a 2 fly (or 3 fly) rig and you are foul hooking fish, try increasing the distance between the 2nd or 3rd flies, eg. at least 18". Often if the distance between the 1st and 2nd (and/or 2nd and 3rd) fly is short (less then 16" or so) then when the fish hits the top fly (or 2nd fly), it gets fouled on the lower fly...

Cheers,

P

That is what I was thinking, but I am not sure the OP was using a multi-fly rig. If not, I would agree that late hook set is the culprit. However, I disagree with the solution of split shot; I find I have more late hook sets when using split shot for some reason. I prefer to use appropriately weighted flies (tungsten beads if required) and straight thin leaders to speed sinking. I want the leader as straight as possible to the fly so that the instant a fish grabs it I can see the movement in the float. Using split shot with an unweighted / lightly weighted fly is the easiest way to get into the zone, but creates a bit of slack; the fish is hitting the fly after all, not the weight. Use the smallest bobber that still provides good floatation.

Just my opinion, your results may vary.

ryanheartssteelhead
04-24-2012, 01:36 PM
That is what I was thinking, but I am not sure the OP was using a multi-fly rig. If not, I would agree that late hook set is the culprit. However, I disagree with the solution of split shot; I find I have more late hook sets when using split shot for some reason. I prefer to use appropriately weighted flies (tungsten beads if required) and straight thin leaders to speed sinking. I want the leader as straight as possible to the fly so that the instant a fish grabs it I can see the movement in the float. Using split shot with an unweighted / lightly weighted fly is the easiest way to get into the zone, but creates a bit of slack; the fish is hitting the fly after all, not the weight. Use the smallest bobber that still provides good floatation.

Just my opinion, your results may vary.

agree, i haven't use split shot in a long time. Just not a fan.
IMHO, besides trying to get deeper, faster. Try losing a little weight. You don't have to drag bottom to catch fish. As long as I am touching bottom once every 5-10 casts, i'm happy