PDA

View Full Version : Summer jobs to do with fishing?

Dockmaster
04-16-2012, 12:43 PM
I was just wondering what summer job opportunities there are that have to do with fishing? I love fishing and I just want to work anywhere in that field, so I can talk all day about my passion with like minded people. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

FishingFrenzy
04-16-2012, 12:45 PM
I was just wondering what summer job opportunities there are that have to do with fishing? I love fishing and I just want to work anywhere in that field, so I can talk all day about my passion with like minded people. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Maybe contact someone local who does guiding, maybe they need someone to help out with some trips.

Where are you located? And how old are you?

You could also consider retail, I know TFH was looking for part time sales associates not too long ago.

35 whelen
04-16-2012, 01:04 PM
try some fishing lodges ,sask,man,n.w.t. they all need new guides if thats what your into .let me know if i can help worked in industry for long time .good luck

blackonblackfx4
04-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Tourism jobs. Travel Alberta and each local community typically hire tourism advisors. The pay is quite good usually because there is a federal grant

coppercarbide
04-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Why couldn't I have thought of asking this before I went to university, hahaha.

Although, I'm wondering if it's kind of like being a mechanic. I know a lot of guys who loved tinkering with cars who went to be mechanics. Now they just have zero desire to work on cars at the end of the day.

Can't see it happening with fishing... but you never know.

TROLLER
04-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Why couldn't I have thought of asking this before I went to university, hahaha.

Although, I'm wondering if it's kind of like being a mechanic. I know a lot of guys who loved tinkering with cars who went to be mechanics. Now they just have zero desire to work on cars at the end of the day.

Can't see it happening with fishing... but you never know.

Don't bet on it. I ran an outfitting bus for a lot of years for migratory hunting and the last thing i ever think of doing is hunting for ducks or geese.

It is work, not rec. work and hard work be it hunters or fisherman. You have to love the sport for sure but it is tireing.

Mariko's Rod
04-16-2012, 08:41 PM
ya man if you are thinking guiding,, before you head north, take a group of 4 buddies that dont fish out for a day as a sampler and see if its for you. You will either LOVE it or HATE it.

Wes_G
04-16-2012, 10:14 PM
I say email a resume to some lodges up north. If you can run a boat, most lodges are looking for new guides. You may not get to do a huge amount the first summer, but if you can do camp life and the isolation will have a blast for the summer and if you are good they will want you back next year The longer you do it and the more established your clientele list gets the more money you will make. Plus you get to fish all you want in the evenings and are being payed to be at a place that most people pay thousands of dollars to be at for just a few days.

coppercarbide
04-17-2012, 08:42 AM
What do camp guides usually do during the winter?

Dockmaster
04-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Ill check out those Im also gonna go check out the reel doctor I found this ad on kijiji and I think that would be a cool place to work! http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-sporting-goods-exercise-fishing-camping-outdoors-Reel-Doctor-Your-Fishing-Warranty-Repair-Headquarters-W0QQAdIdZ370966054

Levy
04-17-2012, 02:55 PM
I work as an exploration geologist, but around camp we hire all kinds. If you want to fish places that almost no one gets to fish try get a job with a company that does mineral exploration, or possibly at a mine with many lakes near it. The pay is usually really good. Your not fishing all day so you don't get tired of doing what you love, you get to fish places that very few people ever get a chance to fish, you have no expenses in the bush and you don't spend money in the bush.

I worked one summer in saskatchewan at Claude Resources, Seabee gold mine, and because it was a mine they had a Rec. club with six or seven boats and a few canoes you could use to go in any lake you wanted in the area after work. I caught many 12 to 15 ib pike (pike over 20 ibs are caught up there every summer) and over the summer and landed hundreds of lakers. This past summer i worked in Labrador by the Alexis and St. Lewis Rivers, from what im told its some of the best Atlantic Salmon fishing in the World (It was really good fishing). Between the mud trout, brook trout, sea run brook trout, and salmon we never got bored fishing.

Food for thought. You dont necessarily have to get a job related to sport fishing to get opportunities to fish great places.

Wes_G
04-17-2012, 07:32 PM
What do camp guides usually do during the winter?

I am doing carpentry now.... I discovered that even after 4 summers, though the pay was great, I didn't make enough in 4 months to support myself for the rest of the year. I would go back to it in a heartbeat though, thinking it will be a good retirement job for me.

As for the rest of the guides, alot of them were natives and lived off there UI and affairs cheques. Quit a few switch to hunting guiding in the fall as well.

Guitarplayingfish
04-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Dockhand or guide... Your very limited unless you are in school for such.. as an environmental student I have had opportunities for fish surveys, electroshock, hatchery experience, etc, etc... Can't get that kind of stuff with no background unfortunately, hence why I decided to go to school.

Vessey
04-17-2012, 08:30 PM
I worked at whiteswan lake lodge in sask one year, I just maintained the campground and rented out boats. It was great even though I wasn't actually fishing while working.

It has changed owners and I don't know if they hire people since the new owner has a few teen boys but it wouldn't hurt to check. The previous owner was pretty desprate for help and payed good plus provided room and boared.

Wes_G
04-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Dockhand or guide... Your very limited unless you are in school for such.. as an environmental student I have had opportunities for fish surveys, electroshock, hatchery experience, etc, etc... Can't get that kind of stuff with no background unfortunately, hence why I decided to go to school.

What makes you say that? You dont have to be licensed or go to school to guide in Alberta, same with Ontario. I know in BC you have to be, but as for the rest of the provinces... not to sure. There are a tonne of Lodges in Ontario alone which need guides to take people out fishing.

Guitarplayingfish
04-17-2012, 09:58 PM
What makes you say that? You dont have to be licensed or go to school to guide in Alberta, same with Ontario. I know in BC you have to be, but as for the rest of the provinces... not to sure. There are a tonne of Lodges in Ontario alone which need guides to take people out fishing.

I never said you did.. I said your limited to being a dockhands or guiding...unless you get really lucky and find a job specifically related to fish/fishing, such as tagging programs (which you would need definitely need schooling for).

Wes_G
04-18-2012, 05:48 PM
I never said you did.. I said your limited to being a dockhands or guiding...unless you get really lucky and find a job specifically related to fish/fishing, such as tagging programs (which you would need definitely need schooling for).

Ah, I see... I would tend to agree with you then.

rmillsfishing
04-18-2012, 05:54 PM
i worked in BC for Oak bay and it was and aventure ill never forget 2 months in a fly in fishing resort was the time of my life, you get to clean fish and you get to fish salmon fishing halibut, ling cod and rock fish try calling them or go to there web sit www.obmg.com