PDA

View Full Version : Murtle Lake BC

Trackdays
04-16-2012, 11:10 PM
I was thinking about making a trip to Murtle this summer to do some fly fishing and camping. Is anyone familiar with it and has fished it?

Murtle is noted for rainbow and kokanee trout. It is the biggest no motors lake in North America and is around 20km long. Murtle Lake is a lava dammed lake located in Wells Gray Provincial Park, east-central British Columbia, Canada.[1] It is fed primarily by the Murtle River which rises from a large unnamed glacier in the Cariboo Mountains at an elevation of 2,300 m.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murtle_Lake

leggacy
04-17-2012, 12:59 AM
I have been there twice... absolutely stunning place. The fishing is great kokanee fish are also there. Its great to because only the real non lazy fisherman go there who will portage 2km and canoe the whole thing (no motors allowed). The west arm has sandy beaches and you are more likely to meet people. Diamond Lagoon is amazing for fly fishing however spinning is alot better in the open lake. the ranger said in sept the monster trout feed on the kokanee which is prime time. I'm planning on going up north arm this summer it is more surrounded by mountains and secluded. Best PLace!!!

leggacy
04-17-2012, 01:15 AM
oh and also site #12 was my fav of the ones we went to... but there are mice