PDA

View Full Version : NSR Regulations

g_trout
04-17-2012, 01:11 PM
I remember last year there was a thread on the changes for 2012 rules on the NSR. One of the issues was that the NSR has a zero limit on walleye and Sauger but the tributaries don't. You could stand at NSR and Whitemud creek and say you caught the walleye in the creek.

So I was fishing the river the other day, since it is one of the few places open right now, and a guy comes up and starts fishing in the creek for walleye. I assumed he was fishing for walleye since he asked how I was doing and if I have seen any walleye. I could be wrong. That made me wonder if the rules changed.

North Saskatchewan River
upstream of Highway 22/39 (Drayton Valley) – see Fish Management
Zone 1, Watershed Unit ES2.
from Highway 22/39 (Drayton Valley) downstream to the
Alberta/Saskatchewan border
River only
Open all year – Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye
limit 0; Sauger limit 0 from Apr. 1 to May 14; Sauger limit 3 from
May 15 to Mar. 31; Pike limit 1 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye
limit 10; Lake Sturgeon limit 0.

No mention of tributaries so Whitemud creek would come under the general regs as follows:

STREAMS
A. For Streams and canals listed and fish species listed under “PP1
Lake and Stream Listings” starting on this page.
You must follow the regulations stated with each listing.
B. For other PP1 Streams, canals and tributaries, not included under
(A) and for fish species not mentioned at a listed stream.
May 8 to Mar. 15 – Walleye and Sauger limit 3; Walleye over 50 cm;
Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; (where present, Trout limit 2; Mountain
Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit
10; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10); Bait allowed.
Mar. 16 to May 7 – CLOSED

So you can stand in one spot and catch a walleye from the creek and keep it, catch a walleye from the river and can't. You can stand in that same spot and fish in the river all year but can't put a hook into the creek. Am I correct on this?

BTW, I caught one sucker that day.

Darren N
04-17-2012, 02:16 PM
Good question. Never looked at it that way before. The only thing I would question is why would anyone want to eat that fish walleye or not. PS -you have done better than me. I got my fly line wet for about ten minutes on Sunday searching out new spots and that's about it.

mikeym
04-17-2012, 02:19 PM
sounds correct to me. doesn't really make sense to me unless the Whitemud creek is just a spawning creek and doesn't really hold anything after spring anyways.

and if this info is correct, the guy fishing the creek was fishing it illegally as it doens't open till May 8th, should of mentioned this to him. i bet a lot of people don't realize this (and i bet the CO's don't know this rule either or they would be out there a lot more).

i thought there used to be a definition in the regs about how far up the mouth of a trib the main rivers regs used to apply as it used to be a hot topic on the Bow/Highwood confluence or it might just be for that specific location. i thought it used to state something like 25 or 50yds.

Rgds
Mike

BGSH
04-17-2012, 02:50 PM
you cannot keep walleye from the creeks anymore, regs were fixed

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-17-2012, 05:22 PM
I remember last year there was a thread on the changes for 2012 rules on the NSR. One of the issues was that the NSR has a zero limit on walleye and Sauger but the tributaries don't. You could stand at NSR and Whitemud creek and say you caught the walleye in the creek.

So I was fishing the river the other day, since it is one of the few places open right now, and a guy comes up and starts fishing in the creek for walleye. I assumed he was fishing for walleye since he asked how I was doing and if I have seen any walleye. I could be wrong. That made me wonder if the rules changed.

North Saskatchewan River
upstream of Highway 22/39 (Drayton Valley) – see Fish Management
Zone 1, Watershed Unit ES2.
from Highway 22/39 (Drayton Valley) downstream to the
Alberta/Saskatchewan border
River only
Open all year – Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Walleye
limit 0; Sauger limit 0 from Apr. 1 to May 14; Sauger limit 3 from
May 15 to Mar. 31; Pike limit 1 over 63 cm; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye
limit 10; Lake Sturgeon limit 0.

No mention of tributaries so Whitemud creek would come under the general regs as follows:

STREAMS
A. For Streams and canals listed and fish species listed under “PP1
Lake and Stream Listings” starting on this page.
You must follow the regulations stated with each listing.
B. For other PP1 Streams, canals and tributaries, not included under
(A) and for fish species not mentioned at a listed stream.
May 8 to Mar. 15 – Walleye and Sauger limit 3; Walleye over 50 cm;
Pike limit 3 over 63 cm; (where present, Trout limit 2; Mountain
Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit
10; Burbot limit 10; Goldeye limit 10); Bait allowed.
Mar. 16 to May 7 – CLOSED

So you can stand in one spot and catch a walleye from the creek and keep it, catch a walleye from the river and can't. You can stand in that same spot and fish in the river all year but can't put a hook into the creek. Am I correct on this?

BTW, I caught one sucker that day.

you are 100 % percent correct , you catch walleye in the creek at Whitemud Creek you can keep them , Me and a Fish and Wildlife officer for Edmonton were just talking about this 2 weeks ago , that as long as your not casting into the river you can keep them are remain a general provinchal Walleye limit and regs . All though they are trying hard to get that changed .

You could also give the Edmonton fellas a call , 780 427-3574 just simply ask to speak to an officer and he will gladly give you the same Info I just did .

BGSH
04-17-2012, 11:04 PM
And for the low scums keeping walleye tonight in the N.s.r you know dam well the rules dont try to throw your walleye in the bushes next time, dont think your smart, next time i am going to get some good entertainment when you get busted :)

Lefty-Canuck
04-17-2012, 11:20 PM
And for the low scums keeping walleye tonight in the N.s.r you know dam well the rules dont try to throw your walleye in the bushes next time, dont think your smart, next time i am going to get some good entertainment when you get busted :)

Keep your cool and call before you tip them off....so F&W can actually show up and do something about it. :)

LC

YeeHaw
04-17-2012, 11:28 PM
Wish I was there earlyer for that. Could have been fun.:argue2: