PDA

View Full Version : Fly fishing Alberta Calgary and Red Deer????

bbonthefly
04-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Hey guys I'm new to this forum and the reason I joined was I am making a trip out to the Calgary and Red Deer area end of July to visit some friends and do as much fly fishing as possible.

My main target is stream fishing for Browns, Bulls, and Cutthroat but mainly Browns... I have a guided trip planned the first day on the Bow but need some other good streams to fill the rest of my vacation. Im willing to do a little exploring but only have so much time so I'm hoping someone can help a guy out a bit. I'm a serious fly fisherman and I'm looking at making this a trip to remember. A few others I've been told about are the crowsnest, livingstone, and oldman. Are these rivers easily walk and waded and if so are there certain sections that are better? Also any other streams you'd recomend in the Calgary banff area or the Red Deer area?

Also if you could point me in the direction of some good fly shops in or near these areas I look to fish that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks alot guys I really have no clue where to start so any advice or suggestions to make this a fly fishing trip to remember is greatly appreciated!

bbonthefly
04-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Forgot to mention I need a fly shop with a good selection of fly patterns as I'll be purchasing all the flies I need once I get there to match the hatch on whatever rivers I'm fishing. Also if someone could clue me in on hatches that will be taking place as I'm sure I have some patterns to suite already. And what type of rod I should bring... No clue on size of fish. 4th or 5wt sufficient?

uplander
04-17-2012, 06:54 PM
If you can for a day drive down to the crowsnest pass (town of blairmore or Coleman) you will have four major rivers to fish and all are world class. So from these towns your next to the crowsnest river,Castle rivers, Oldman river and fairly close to the livingstone. I would recommend the crow and castle for rainbows and cuttys you can't go wrong and there's a fly shop in blairmore and one in Coleman both will give u advise on where to fish and there both extremely friendly! Coleman and blairmore are a 20 min drive from eatchother and the Forestry Trunk Road Wich is our trout hwy goes through the town of Coleman. Have a great trip and hope you have a chance to hit up some of our water and remember most eastern slope streams don't open tell June 15.

bring your 5wght and yes both shops down there have 1000s of local patterns. Depending on when your here we have green drakes,Hoppers,ants,caddis,brown drake,Pmds and the hatch charts are at most fly shops or online.