PDA

View Full Version : Boating at Buffalo Lake

FailBoat
04-18-2012, 01:48 PM
Im thinking of heading to Buffalo lake on may long and have never been there, I was thinking of taking the boat out for the first time this year but have heard that this lake is fairly shallow. I have a deep V boat and wanted a little info before I ended up trolling around the lake with the leg up. Any input?

fishermansfriend
04-18-2012, 02:03 PM
hope this helps.. the lake is extremely shallow..

http://www.rochonsands.net/buffalo.pdf

The Copenhagen Kid
04-18-2012, 03:37 PM
which campground are you staying at? I can help you out from there...

FailBoat
04-18-2012, 04:00 PM
We were thinking of checking out Ol' Mcdonalds resort

ViperV7
04-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Boating? I call it dodging sand bars!! I grew up there and stay away from it.

fishermansfriend
04-18-2012, 04:38 PM
Boating? I call it dodging sand bars!! I grew up there and stay away from it.

:)

i only fish the narrows and ice fish there.... but my buddy grew up across the road and says the same thing.

FailBoat
04-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Well, you guys just saved the leg on my boat... Thanks!
Any reccomendations on fishing near to Ol' McDonalds resort?

fishermansfriend
04-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Well, you guys just saved the leg on my boat... Thanks!
Any reccomendations on fishing near to Ol' McDonalds resort?

if your fishing from shore id say go to the narrows lots of good spots to cast from shore..

but if you do go to ol macs there is a point by there lauch stand on that and fish the right side. ive had decent luck there..

just so you know if your not camping there they will charge you 10$ to park your vehicle.

FailBoat
04-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Yep, I was planning to camp there a few nights anyways. Guess I'm leaving the boat at home this time, but I'll be sure to have the rod to try my luck. Thanks for the info!

Flyfisher87
04-20-2012, 06:34 PM
I have sold many boat props to people that got theirs chewed up because if this lake. I strongly recommend fishing the narrows as well. Seen some big pike come out of there. The campground ( at the narrows) was not too bad either the last time I stayed there.

TROLLER
04-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Neighbor did a number on his leg there a few years back and still cussing about that lake.

ViperV7
04-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Fishing the main lake sucks, I grew up by the narrows and that's the Chanel they use to go spawn. Mainly the best ice fishing.

fluxcore
04-20-2012, 08:43 PM
The day I bought my boat I was told to stay away from that lake, the guy behind me was cursing so I'm guessing he had some repair work done at the dealership after a visit there lol

ViperV7
04-20-2012, 10:10 PM
The sand bars move every spring with ice blowing around, and it seem like after the ice is off the fish spread out. The lake is on average 6' deep. Not saying I hate the lake. I grew up there and it was one of the reason I got hooked on fishing so bad. My older brother and I used ride our bikes to Parbly Creek everyday in search of the illusive Sucker. LOL

A lot of my family heritage is around that lake, at one time my Great Grandfather owned all the land around it, but lost it gambling. Still have a lot of roots around there.

DirkDiggler
04-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Yes stay away from that lake it is terrible............ do not believe everything you read. I grew up on this lake and it has some of the best Pike fishing in Central Alberta if not the best! Yes it is shallow in spots and I would not be using a deep V hull in this lake. However, if you know where to fish the lake at different times of the year I would easily put this lake up against any other lakes in Alberta for a top notch Northern Pike fishery. It produces trophy sized Northerns that are aggressive and great to fish.

Stally77
05-02-2012, 12:19 AM
I have been fishing this lake for the past 10 years. Yes it is shallow is spots.I have a deep V boat as well. Never had a problem with ripping my prop off. Heard stories though. If your there to fish your prolly not gonna be ripping around the lake to much. Take it easy around the shore lines keep a close eye on your depth finder. If you want to cruise stay out in the middle and far away from any islands. If your staying at old macdonalds the narrows is just a short ride west. Pretty sandy in that area. Great fishing in the spring! Good luck.

Vega21
05-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Was thinking about heading out there for May long. I dont have a boat so the lake being shallow isnt a concern. Are there good spots to shore fish and what fish are in there besides Pike?

Stally77
05-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Was thinking about heading out there for May long. I dont have a boat so the lake being shallow isnt a concern. Are there good spots to shore fish and what fish are in there besides Pike?

Burbot and pike only. I heard that tey tried to stock walleye there but the didn't take because of the alkali levels.....too bad!:sign0161: the narrows is great for shore fishing. Pretty busy place may long find your spot early. There's a big rock in the water in the next access to the water past the boat launch area. Realy productive spot. Caught a 14 pouder there in the fall a couple years back.

ajm1
05-02-2012, 09:55 PM
if your fishing from shore id say go to the narrows lots of good spots to cast from shore..

Looking for some advice - well a lot of advice. Let's start with were to fish on this lake. I'm looking at a satellite view of the lake, and well, there seem to be a lot of "narrow" spots. Here's a link to a map of the lake - can someone point me to the right narrows? I'm looking for shore fishing for me and my 10 year old kids.

Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213159372056624878924.0004bf19a3b82befde99 e&msa=0&ll=52.489888,-112.920914&spn=0.144244,0.340233)

Vega21
05-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Burbot and pike only. I heard that tey tried to stock walleye there but the didn't take because of the alkali levels.....too bad!:sign0161: the narrows is great for shore fishing. Pretty busy place may long find your spot early. There's a big rock in the water in the next access to the water past the boat launch area. Realy productive spot. Caught a 14 pouder there in the fall a couple years back.

Thanks for the tip. Gonna check it out. I looked at a map earlier and there are quite a few "narrow" spots lol. Trial and error I guess.

Shepherd7
05-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Looking for some advice - well a lot of advice. Let's start with were to fish on this lake. I'm looking at a satellite view of the lake, and well, there seem to be a lot of "narrow" spots. Here's a link to a map of the lake - can someone point me to the right narrows? I'm looking for shore fishing for me and my 10 year old kids.

Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213159372056624878924.0004bf19a3b82befde99 e&msa=0&ll=52.489888,-112.920914&spn=0.144244,0.340233)
The Narrows Provincial Rec Area at the SW corner of the lake is what everyone is referring to. North on RR 221 ~ 1 mile north of TWP RD 402. Some good jacks pulled out of the area.

Like a few others have said this lake is not extraordinarily deep but at the same time i've boated on this lake for 15 years by myself and have never had an issue and neither has my dad. Common sense is a good friend out there. Don't rip around when nearer to shore. West of Rochan sands in the old mcdonalds area is shallower and more dangerous, that's why I don't go there. North of Rochan is bird island, don't go too close. Over just North of White Sand on the SE side of the lake is a bird crap island as well that can be tough to see, a few hundred yards off shore. Right in the SE corner of the lake it gets pretty shallow and some bigger boulders in there so I would avoid that. And in the NW beween Pelican Point and Boss Hill there is an island and on the NW side of it it is fairly shallow (can stand up between Island and shore) and it is quite weedy in there but I've had boats through there and just take it easy and stay in the middle.
Other than at the Narrows tough fishing off shore, but people do catch off their docks at Rochan sands.

ajm1
05-03-2012, 03:51 PM
The Narrows Provincial Rec Area at the SW corner of the lake is what everyone is referring to. North on RR 221 ~ 1 mile north of TWP RD 402. Some good jacks pulled out of the area.

Thanks for the directions, I see it now. For others this map shows the location:

Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=213159372056624878924.0004bf19a3b82befde99 e&msa=0&ll=52.448373,-113.052578&spn=0.075329,0.154152)