PDA

View Full Version : Cavan Lake Being Misused...

beedhead
04-19-2012, 08:24 AM
Hi All...I was talking with Terry Clayton, the gov't fisheries biologist, and he said they were having some issues at Cavan Lake. Government departments are getting complaints about people tresspassing on leased land and a considerable amount of garbage and vandalism is occurring at Cavan Lake. Some people are driving accross leased agricultural fields. To go on leased land, you need to contact the leasee first. Most people do not want you driving across the field. Also, fences and gate locks are being cut. Not all of this is done by anglers, but anglers are the ones that get the blame. This comes down to "Use Respect". Some individuals are abusing this recreational opportunity, and everyone needs to do some monitoring at all fishing spots, so that fishing remains a recreational opportunity for all to enjoy. He said signs will be posted soon giving numbers to call if you see someone tresspassing. If you can, write down the vehicle make, colour and licence number.

Regards... Jeff..

Sledhead71
04-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Jeff,

Typically this time of the year, the grads are getting their grove on and the Cavan lake area takes a fair beating from the kids... Most likely not the anglers demonstrating poor judgement, but teenagers blowing their hair back in grad celebrations..

pikergolf
04-19-2012, 10:35 AM
I have seen trucks driven by fisherman along the east shore, but what can you say for all I know they have permission to be there. Looking at the County land map the entire lake is surrounded by a green belt and the 2 quarters that comprise of mostly lake are marked Dept of Lands and Forest. I always assumed I was free to walk around the lake, is this incorrect. I understand that I would have to start at the campground or north of it as the road swings away south of the campground and a person would have to cross privite land.

Wooly
04-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Can't say that I have intentionally trespassed at Cavan. Not sure but maybe I have been were I shouldn't have been but it's only been on foot.

For a lake of this size and area, there isn't a whole lot of good access. It can get a little crowded sometimes if you are shore fishing. But that's OK. It will be a mud hole by the end of summer anyway.