PDA

View Full Version : Atha-B around of Hinton

Grayling
03-18-2008, 08:50 PM
Atha-B opens April 1st.I fished there a couple years ago and small black stones were hatching. They were about a size 16. For some reason the rainbows and rockies wouldn't take any small black nymphs. If anyone has any ideas for flies that would be great. Also since it's been awhile since i've fish there if anyone knows any good runs or pools worth trying that would be great!!!!

Thanks
Trav

maligne
03-19-2008, 01:15 AM
try around fish creek or muskuta creek mouth. Call RAP if u see anyone using bait. i see it all the time down there.

Brady
03-19-2008, 09:31 AM
Another good spot is under, and near the Obed bridge. Little bit later try the mouth of Canyon, and Plante creeks. Same as maligne said, keep an eye out for the bait chuckers/poachers.

schimmel
03-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Like Brady said under the bridge. I was there years ago & fished under the bridge. I was using a weedless rapala that looks like a long narrow spoon just casted across the river & let it bounce along the bottom. Caught & released some big bulls.

curtis_rak
03-19-2008, 02:00 PM
I usually fish hardware in the Athabasca just north of Hinton.

Small copper, or blue/silver spoons w/treble hooks on 6lb line works really nice for Rainbows. I typically add a split shot about 8" above the lure to bring the light spoon down a bit so I can fish it near the bottom of the river on the rocks.

Ive caught a lot of Rainbows and Rockies this way.

kokanee
03-19-2008, 05:20 PM
Anywhere a trib spills in is usually a good spot

maligne
03-19-2008, 11:41 PM
12 more days till you can try all those spots out.

prospector
03-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Grayling.
Looks like I'll be in that area around the same time. I'll keep an eye out for you to make sure you've got a good fly selection. ;)

Grayling
03-20-2008, 11:26 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the input. Ya i'll watch for scabs out there!!! Ya Prospector i'll have lots of flies to share see you there!!! You bring the fire and i'll bring the flies. See if Chris wants to come if you talk to him.